Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Dont know why but feel guilty!

Alfie and me go out for a lot of walks esp because of the school run but when we're at home he only seems to be happy in his rocker or on someones lap. He doesnt pay a lot of attention to his toys and doesnt like his playmat anymore as hes sooo nosey, he cant see anything!
I just feel guilty because i dont know whether i should be doing more for him? Dont get me wrong, hes such a happy and contented baby and a real joy to have.
Is anyone elses lo like this? :?

Replies

• Cole is the same..he's such a nosy boy. He's not really interested in toys yet but he's started to be happy for a little while looking at his baby gym so I'm hoping he'll get playful soon. its so hard to know what to do to entertain them isn't it?
  • Hi Suz, I feel the same! Brendan isn't very entertained by me waving things at him and would prefer to be in his bouncy chair watching Thomas the Tank Engine and I often feel guilty thinking I should be doing more with him rather than plonking him infront of the tv. I do spend a good amount of time during the day talking to him and showing him toys trying to get him interested but he is more interested in looking out of the window or the tv at the moment!
    I'm sure it will come in time and hopefully the toys we have bought will start to get played with!

L x
  • We all have couch potatoes lol! Gracie's now laid on her playgym, swan-necking it to watch Todd world on Cbeebies - must be the bright colours!
    I know what you mean Suz, i feel like i should be doing more with her but she seems happy enough, especially when snuggled up to her mummy! We're off to baby signing, baby massage and baby swimming next week so she'll have more of a social life than me and hubby put together!
    She's kicking her toys now...doesn't fancy Todd anymore!
  • Yup Holly is the same happiest when she is in her bouncy chair or staring at the light lol she'll play on her gym for a bit before she gets bored of it and loves talking to the "other" baby in the mirror lol Im sure it won't be long until they are demanding every minute of our attention lol xxx
  • I'm glad it isn't just Cole with the fascination with lights!! He's not so keen on the baby in the mirror though - he cries! We took him for a walk today in the sling, facing outwards so he could see everything and he fell asleep!!

I don't think he's supposed to be facing outwards in the sling yet but neither of us liked having him with his face stuffed in our chests and he has good head control so we did anyway!
  • Suz- I have found unless I take Marcus for a couple of walks or a drive and a walk each day he gets to tired and finds it hard to sleep which makes him upset so I would say the walks and sleeps are what is giving you such a happy baby.

I have been taking Marcus to a kindermusic group which he loves. He likes to listen to the singing and different sounds of the musical instruments and the movements you get them to make to the different songs. Plus loves seeing other babys is facinated by the older ones just stares at times at them. With this group I got a home CD and suggested activities to do with Marcus each week which has been really helpful for me as it helps me to know some things to try with him when I can get him to stop looking at bright lights!

Jillycat x
  • I also felt a bit guilty and thought I should be doing more with Bryn - I do far less with him than I did with the other 2 because when I had them I had plenty of one to one time, but having a toddler at the same time (not to mention a son doing his GCSEs) means I don't have as much time to spend just on him... He doesn't seem to mind too much though. I also wondered whether that was why he slept better than the other two ever did (because he's used to being put in his chair or under his gym more than being sat on my lap - if you see what I mean)... I'm sure our los would let us know if they were bored or unhappy so I try not to worry about it too much.

Jillycat - that sounds like a great group - not sure we've got anything like that around here - I'll have to have a look.

Em x
  • Amy is exactly the same!
    Loves sitting in her chair and watching tv (anything will do!), she lies on her gym/playmat thing for about 10 mins and then gets bored but she's happiest when she's sat on my lap and looking out the window or staring at the light, my oh says she takes after me for being nosey!!
  • Thanks for all of your responses. Now realising that alfie is 'normal'!
    To all the mummies with more than 1 child, i think its more of a case that lo has to fit in with your life ie, school runs, after school clubs, making dinners etc etc that they have no choice but to sit or lie there and watch the world go by!!!
    Saying that Im sure its the same for anyone with child/ren, what with flippin housework and washing and washing washing oh and did i mention washing?!?!
    I honestly dont know what id do without alfies rocker-thanks to whoever invented it! lol
    No what you mean about being nosey rachel-hubby always tells me and the eldest off for staring (dont no im doing it half the time!) so i really dont know where alfie gets it from he he!