Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

First period (TMI)

I finished feeding Paige about a month ago now and have just had my first "real" period, although i have had a couple of 3 day light bleeds.

I'm assuming my body is getting rid of 9 mths worth of everything because i must say i have never had a period like it.

We had been away for weekend and i had been sitting in the car driving for about 3 hrs and when i stood up i felt a gush and knew i had flooded a tampon, (sorry warned tmi, lol) i had to grab a tissue out of my bag to shove down the front of my undies until i could waddle into shopping centre to find the loo,

In the end it lasted about 8 days and quite heavy for 5 of them, i'm hoping next months will be more normal or else i'll have to go back on the pill to regulate, even though i don't want to as hubby had the snip so there seems no need.

It also came on a kind of dirty weekend away (althouh kids were all there, just in another room, there's something about motel beds, lol). I felt a bit embarrassed for the maid to have to change bedding even though it wasn't really gross, you could tell what had happened there.

Is everyone else "back to normal"?

Shell

Replies

• I sympathise completely!!! Having the period from hell at the mo (3 weeks late and boy do I know it!)... Sorry to say this but since having Bryn my periods have lasted 2 weeks and are really heavy for at least half of the time - I'm being tested to see if I'm going through the menopause though as I'm having night-sweats too (how old do I feel??!!) (also just realised because I'm late now it means I'm due on for my birthday - bummer!)

I hope yours settle down soon - its a bit of a shock to the system after not having one for a while isn't it??!! :roll:

Take care x
  • Thanks Em, are you breastfeeding? and if you don't mind me asking how old are you?

I'm 35 and i guess i am also possibly coming to the end of my "childbearing years" lol.

Shell
  • I stopped breastfeeding Bryn between 3-4 months - I'm still producing milk though for some reason, and I could express some milk if I tried.

I'll be 38 next month.... one of my sisters is going through the menopause but she's 51 - My other 2 sisters have had hysterectomies (sp??) so I can't really say when they would have done it naturally, and my mum was in her mid-50s when she went through it - anyway chances are I'm not starting mine yet.

My periods have got progressively worse after each child - so its just as well I'm not having any more! image

Take it easy x
  • I mixed fed Bren for the first few weeks and then went purely to formula and I got my first period at about 8 weeks after I had him I think. I must say the first few I had were great with no real cramps and pretty light. The last few I have had have been bad though, very heavy, I'm hoping it is just my body getting back to normal - although fat chance since we are ttc again lol!

Fingers crossed your next one is nothing like as bad but if it is it may be worth going on the pill. I went on the pill (microgynon) when I was 19 because of heavy and painful periods and it did the trick for me then.

• oh bless you sweetie, i would say its just your body getting back to normal!!!

i went straight back on pill but even on that mine have been more painful and heavier than before i had fin!!! strange!!!

xx
  • I've been breastfeeding (still am once a day) and I have been ont he minipill too and when Max dropped his night time feed a couple of weeks ago I got my first period and it felt like it never got started - it was just dribs and drabs but went on for over 2 weeks just stopping and starting - was a right pain in the bum every time I thought it was stopped it startred again.

I am going to get the coil fitted in a couple of weeks though and that might put pay to them again for a while!!! image here's hoping!
  • I think they do get worse the more kiddiwinks you have. Mine were absolutely awful once having Gracie (back about 20weeks after birth) and I was not only really heavy but I was the woman from hell! Moody?? Godzilla!
    I went on the pill 2 months ago and they're fine now, thankfully. Hormones are the answer!