Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

CUPS:bottle substitute

I am going to stop Elijahs bottles altogether in a few weeks, cant do it at the moment as hes still really unwell with chest infection & cries for a bottle every 5 mins lol.
I have already told him that soon we will leave his bottles out for the babies & im going to put it there with a present in its place. I just wondered if any of you had tips for a good cup that he can take to bed with him that wont spill? I have seen a tommee tippee one with a spout that is a bit like a teat but im not sure if it would spill?
Thanks, im not looking forward to stopping it, but has to happen soon! xx

Replies

• We've had those, similar to a teat and I only think they leak if squeezed when upside down, not just if tipped. They have a seal valve thingy! We still use Dr Browns for bed and morn bottle and for juice she has a couple of different ones with hard spout/straws like sports bottles. I would use the softer ones for his milk though, we used them with Alfie when swapping his baby bottle over and he adjusted fine. Must do the same with Gracie once she's better!
    I think it's a bigger deal for us thinking about it than actually doing it for them!
  • We've tried loads, straws, spouts, hard plastic, rubbery plastic- the best by far is the 360 degree junior cup available in pink or blue from supermarkets, think they're in offer in tesco atm.
    It is a cup - no spout, the top is completely covered but there's a rubber ring and you basically suck/sip to get it out. Hold it upside down or leave sideways and it doesn't drip - FAB. But I don't know if it would work as a complete switchover but I'd definitely recommend you try one.
    We're still using bottle for milk in bed but I've got so many things to sort out atm I'm trying to prioritise- dummies/own bed/bottles/nappy eugh!
    ????
  • We've tried loads, straws, spouts, hard plastic, rubbery plastic- the best by far is the 360 degree junior cup available in pink or blue from supermarkets, think they're in offer in tesco atm.
    It is a cup - no spout, the top is completely covered but there's a rubber ring and you basically suck/sip to get it out. Hold it upside down or leave sideways and it doesn't drip - FAB. But I don't know if it would work as a complete switchover but I'd definitely recommend you try one.
    We're still using bottle for milk in bed but I've got so many things to sort out atm I'm trying to prioritise- dummies/own bed/bottles/nappy eugh!
    ????
  • Thankyou both. I will have a look at the tommee tippee one aswell as the 360 degree cup-that sounds good for his bag! x
  • Philip has an Avent bottle with a white soft spout for his morning milk (purely to stop milk being spilt on my bed!) and an Amadeus (sp) cow cup for milk for bedm, cups of tea etc although we take the valve out as he gets frustrated it doesn't come out quick enough. For drinks in the day he has a mix of avent magic cups, and drinks bottles meant for older kids the Cow Cup is fab, avaliable from Sainsburys & Tesco's about ??3.00