Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Naps- the toddlers, not ours!

So, my little menace used to have 1 hour in the morning approx 2 hours after she got up, and then another nap which was 2 hours and recently turned into 1 hour in the afternoon at about 3pm.
The trouble ive had this week is that she has decided she doesnt need a morning nap anymore and is happier to be the worlds biggest grump at about 12 o'clock- her normal lunchtime. Therefore doesnt want any lunch, gets in a strop and gets put to bed about 12:15! Totally inconvinient as everything for well over a year has been structured into the 3 hours between lunch and 3pm! Anyway, we will just have to find some morning baby groups ect instead!
But i wondered if she is following a trend? Incidentaly the afternoon nap is now about 2.5 hours so the same amount of time... for now!
Thanks Ladies xxx

Replies

• Options
    Floyd has a nap between 2.30 and 3.30 for about half an hour to an hour. If he falls asleep before 1ish he wants another nap in the afternoon and if he does have another he doesnt sleep at night! he hasnt had a morning nap since before he was 12months, but he doesnt get up until 9.30 - 10.00. alot of the time im not at home for his nap so he sleeps on the move as the middle of the afternoon is quite inconvinient for napping lol
    I think you will just have to try and work around her as they do start needing different amounts of sleep as they get older so day time sleeping habits change!!!
    xxx
  • Options
    I have just changed Brendans nap in order to sort out his bedtime routine as he was being such a nightmare. He now gets up between 6:30am and 7:30am,and then has a nap at 10:30am for no more than an hour and a half. I have his lunch ready for when he wakes up. Some days he seems to want another nap about 3pm ish but I just change his activity to keep him awake as if he does have another nap you can guarantee he won't want to go to bed until around 10pm!! Normally he has his bath about 7pm and bed between 7:30-8pm.

Interestingly when I took him to a baby group a few weeks ago I went with a friend who has a 5month old and we went for about 1pm. All the children there were babies under a year old and the supervisor there said that the toddlers usually came in the morning as most had naps in the early afternoon.

Sounds like she is having a good amount of naps though if she is still sleeping through at night as well. I wish Bren would have that much!! xx
  • Options
    Elijah has started to want to do just this. He used to wake up 7am, back to sleep by 10am for 2 hours. Now he will either want to go back at 10 and have just half hour (therefore being grumpy the rest of the day) or i put him back later and he will have a bit longer. It doesnt seem to be consistent though, some days he'll sleep for 2 hours, other days nothing. When we move in 3 wks i will attempt to regulate it so he has a routine and knows whats happening xx
  • Options
    Oh how i wish cole would sleep for an hour or two at once! 2 half an hour naps a day was good for him and now he seems to be pushing his morning nap later and not needing an afternoon one but being foul before bedtime. Although the last 2 days at nursery he hasn't napped till after lunch and then for over an hour. Sigh! Although we have laughed at him on the times when he's fallen asleep in his highchair! I am so mean!

I think round about now is the age when they are meant to start dropping a nap - nursery said most of the older ones tend to sleep in the afternoon rather than the morning
  • Options
    Rhys gets up around 8am and usually has a nap about 10.30 for an hour then another for about an hour around 2ish. If he doesn't have his morning nap he has one after lunch about 12.30 for about an hour but is then tired again around 4/5pmish which is a little late as he's in bed at 7pm. So we have a grumpy couple of hours and then he usually ends up in bed around 6.30 as he's super grumpy lol
  • Options
    Jack gets up at 6am and some days has a 1-2hr nap around 10am and maybe half hour around 3pm. Some days he has half an hour all day! Very hit and miss at the mo xxx