Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Reusing stuff for 2nd Bubs

Just need some advice on what I can/can't reuse for 2nd lo!!!

What about:

Matresses (moses basket and cotbed)??
Sheets/blankets etc
bottle teats
Dummy's

THANKS

Replies

• I reused the cot/matress/sheets/blankets etc but not the bottles and teats (Fee didn't have a dummy but if she did I wouldn't have reused that either)

xx
  • I'm reusung moses basket matress but getting new one for cot. Using sheets/blankets again but didn't keep bottles etc so got new of them too x
  • I reused both mattresses, all the sheets, bedding, sleeping bags etc. I got new bottles and teats, and dummys, but these days they constantly swap dummies over! Going to go dummy cold turkey this summer once hubby has finished for the summer to help distract the boys!

I have reused pretty much everything else though, it felt weird with Jacob as I felt really unprepared as I hadn't bought very much! I had to buy bits of clothes as Jacob was a summer baby, and I got a few new toys for him.

You'll probably find there isn't a huge amount you need at all! xx
  • I think moses basket matress may go the journey and get a new one cos Max puked soooooooo much when I get it out of the cupboard I may not like the look.

Will have to look at the bottles - I really hope to not need them this time any way as bloody gaviscon and topping up with expressed milk was frankly a pain in the arse!!!

Thanks for the opinions!
  • we have reused moses basket/matress and now the cot all sheets bumper etc...
    clothes wise i did buy some nice new sleepsuits aswell as using fins just for first born as they were then all nice and soft and hadnt been washed 100 times...

bought new steraliser bottles and dummies

• I would not be able to reuse bottles as little scamp has chewed holes in all the teats & scratched bottles lol, we must have bought 100 in two years image x
  • We reused mattress for the boys, as they weren't all too fussed about getting new ones back then...how quickly do things change?! Got new mattress for Gracie, and new bottles, but just bought new teats for Alfie. Gracie was in the same blue bouncer too, but I wasn't too fussed about going pink for something so little used! Everything else was pink so new lol. I'm just selling all my baby stuff now on ebay. Highchair gone, cot going on, clothes going. Feels quite sad but have made ??300 so far for my jollies!
  • Aww Ali, can't we persuade you to have just one more!! lol! x
  • yea go on Ali, just for us?? x
  • we had a new moses basket for noah because we borrowed one for zach. they had 2 children so it wasn't a new matress. we were given a cot but got a new matress for it. when dave took it apart the wood splintered so noah had a new, smaller cot with a new matress cos the old one wouldn't fit. his toddler bed was second hand with matress.
    I think a baby only needs a new matress if its not in very good condition or its come from somewhere you don't know (ie whether its been in a damp garage for a year before been sold or whatever and you wouldn't realise)
    dummys and bottle teats i got new ones as they get worn and chewed on. according to the packaging they should be changed every three months or something anyway but i never did.
    i pretty much re-used most everything else. but i did find i got bought a lot of stuff for noah!
  • been out today and bought a few new bottles (hope not to need them) and max chose some dummys for the baby and a new moses basket matress but need to check that fits.

So it's a start.