Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

UNDER PROTECTIVE??

Hi girls, i know i dont post very often more but this is really bugging me.

I have a friend with a lo just a few months younger than Harri and they are both about the same level development wise and are both great kids, they are 2. the last few times ive been with my friend and her lo at the park ive noticed that she follows her lo around everywere, doesnt let her do anything with even the slightest risk to it, and freaks when she goes even a few steps out of reach she freaks were as im happy to let harri get on with it aslong as i can see what hes doing so i can intervene if i need to. I dont feel the need to follow him around the park, i know what he can handle and to be honest hes a very confident and capable little boy.

Now am i being under protective? should i be by his side constantly ready to catch him up and cuddle him if at every fall or trip? should i be more like my friend and protect him from everything 'just incase'? i

this is really bugging me so any opinions would be great

xxxx

Replies

• I think as long as you can see him and don't let him try something you know will end badly you're doing the right thing. However I'm a 'follow lo around the park mum' but it is purely because zachariah refuses point blank to do anything without me in his line of vision, it's quite frustrating tbh as I'd love to just sit on the bench like most other mums. I do try to let him wander off but if he was heading for swinging swings or towards a slopey hill I will chase after him! You just need to do what's right for the pair of you, I'm sure you're doing fab x
  • I with LO if I didn't as he was climping the rope ladder to the big slide that's 6ft he could miss his footing and go through. I also talk/role play with him on the mini climbing frame' Wow that's a big boat where are we going' etc. He needs to be pushed on the swings so there's no sitting down there!

It just depends on the park and where your LO is up to. Our park has just been redone and some of the flooring / grass is uneven, there are big stones that has been kicked in from the entrance gate so at the min I think at 2 1/2yrs I need to be there. However there are lots of Mums with ones that age and younger that don't go with Lo (And it's always me that ends up pushing them and interacting with them!!!)

I also go with LO in soft play there are just too many 2 to 6 yr olds that go in and push Lo if noone is there with them.
  • I let Noah get on with it recently I let him go out of the enclosed area o to the bank where they've just built a little walkway, tower and slide he couldn't go anywhere and he was with his older brother we sat at the bottom where we could mainly see him and if he went out of sight we knew he would reappear from behind tree or whatever I amvery familiar with the park and knew exactly where he was at all times if it was a park I was unfamiliar with I think it would be different. When wewent towoodlands on Thursday he wanted me to go everywherewith him and it was very busy and some of the rope nets are a bit much - he's very diddy bless him youhaveto let tem learn things for themselves if it is a hazard then you wouldn't let them do it if it is a risk and they might slightly hurt themselves you've got to at some point let them go it alone otherwise they will never learn how to assess risk I'd rather he hurt him self now in a controlled environment like a park when I am there to pick him up than when he is older and I'm not there.
    My eldest who is 5 still has no idea he wanted to climb a tree the other day and I said he was't big enough but cos the older boys had he wanted to of course I ended up getting him down cos he got stuck but hopfully he will be more cautious when he is old enough to ho to thepark on his own!!
  • I let Noah get on with it recently I let him go out of the enclosed area o to the bank where they've just built a little walkway, tower and slide he couldn't go anywhere and he was with his older brother we sat at the bottom where we could mainly see him and if he went out of sight we knew he would reappear from behind tree or whatever I amvery familiar with the park and knew exactly where he was at all times if it was a park I was unfamiliar with I think it would be different. When wewent towoodlands on Thursday he wanted me to go everywherewith him and it was very busy and some of the rope nets are a bit much - he's very diddy bless him youhaveto let tem learn things for themselves if it is a hazard then you wouldn't let them do it if it is a risk and they might slightly hurt themselves you've got to at some point let them go it alone otherwise they will never learn how to assess risk I'd rather he hurt him self now in a controlled environment like a park when I am there to pick him up than when he is older and I'm not there.
    My eldest who is 5 still has no idea he wanted to climb a tree the other day and I said he was't big enough but cos the older boys had he wanted to of course I ended up getting him down cos he got stuck but hopfully he will be more cautious when he is old enough to ho to thepark on his own!!
  • If you are then I am too lol.
    I let Gracie explore on her own, but will also go with her when she wants help or company. We rarely go to the park without her having other children to play with or follow (mainly her big bros) so she doesn't need me much now. She is the biggest adrenaline junkie ever lol and will do everything on the under9's park, apart from the fireman's pole on her own! She loves jumping off things and from quite a height too...image. But on the other hand I suppose I'm protective when it comes to walking next to roads etc. I can't believe what I see whan I'm out driving somedays where mums will let los (ie same age as ours or older) wander right next to the road or even on it! Frightens me to death!
  • Im with you on the roads thing ali! Scares me to death (oh and escalators!!!)
    Anyway, I mostly let Elijah get on with it and follow him just for company really as its usually just me and him. If i do sit down he usually asks me to come with him lol. But im fine just to watch as i know his limits and would go with him if i thought he might fall. I guess im middle protective lol. But oh is defintely more 'let them get on with it' and this scares me at times as Elijah is so fast. But yea, i guess its fine as long as youre watching and know lo's limits xx
  • Im with you on the roads thing ali! Scares me to death (oh and escalators!!!)
    Anyway, I mostly let Elijah get on with it and follow him just for company really as its usually just me and him. If i do sit down he usually asks me to come with him lol. But im fine just to watch as i know his limits and would go with him if i thought he might fall. I guess im middle protective lol. But oh is defintely more 'let them get on with it' and this scares me at times as Elijah is so fast. But yea, i guess its fine as long as youre watching and know lo's limits xx
  • I'm pretty laid back with my two, as long as it is a fairly safe play area I will let them get on with it (giving more help to Jacob of course!). Brendan is in a very independant stage and refuses to let us help him with things before he has tried to do it himself.
    I don't let them wander around near a road on their own though, infact generally if we are anywhere near cars we put them in the double buggy as it is much easier to keep them safe that way!