Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Lo's sleeping on their tummy

Does anyone else's Lo want to sleep on their tummy and, do you leave them to it?

Maddy keeps rolling over and sleeping on her tummy. I know you're supposed to get them to sleep on their back because of the risk of cot death but, what can I do? I keep flipping her on her back but she hates sleeping like that, always has.

Do I keep flipping her or should I leave her to it?

Replies

• Henry does it every night - he even does it before he's asleep.

I just leave him now as he always just rolls back and it disturbs him!!

I would leave her too it, they're good at getting comfortable themselves now!

xxx

[Modified by: EmilyandHenry on June 28, 2008 08:33 AM]
  • Oakley has been sleeping on his tummy since he was 2 weeks old. He just won't sleep on his back and my MIL said for goodness sake all mine slept on their tummies, he's got wind just let him do what's comfy for him.

Esp at 6 months your lo will be fine.
  • I asked my hv about it because Holly is terrible for rolling onto her tummy and she said as soon as they are rolling over themselves its fine coz they can lift their heads up xxx
  • Yeah, leave her to it! They have strong necks now and if she can roll both ways herself she'll be fine. Gracie slept on me on her front since birth for a few weeks and now loves sleeping on her front.
  • Fin has been on tummy since a few weeks old due to wind and acid reflux... he's always been strong and although yes i worried theres was not much i could do as he was in pain on belly... i know that all hv seem to say that if they can get themselves into that position at this age then thats them learning to sleep on there own and getting comfy!!! i would def leave to it... if you feel happier putting down on back then do but what you m,ay find is lo disturbs self tunrning over!

really don't worry!!!

xxx
  • Ok... I guess from your replies I'm being a little over-cautious!! Lol
    Guess I better put the ropes and restraints away and leave her to it!
    Thanks everyone, you've helped put my mind at ease XXX
  • you can never be over cautious......if you are still worried then do what you feel you need to do!!! but just think it wont be long before lo isn't just rolling they'll prob be standing up in cot/..........arrghh scary thought!!!

xx
  • well I'm worried about that cos when I stand Henry up in his cot the top rail is not even up to his nipples - have visions of him somersaulting out of it!!

xxx
  • I was thinking that about Maddy's cot the other day. She's started trying to pull herself up on things now so I really need to adjust it soon. I know people told me to make the most of every day of her being small and helpless but, I never expected her to do half the things she does this early!
  • I know - I put Sam down tonight and 5 min later went back in and he had pulled himself up on the bars with his sleepsuit on! Had to get oh to lower the cot down as I was worried about him toppling out!
  • I've started putting Maddy to bed in a baby sleeping bag. I've been told it will stop her being able to stand up to climb up the rails... Fingers crossed!