Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

sleep problems (again)

I posted a while back about Elijah waking around 4/5am since we moved in with the inlaws. He has been in our room in a travel cot for over a month now and im wanting to put him back in his own room asap. Problem is hes started waking at random times (2.30am/4am/5am) and wanting to get up, Ive tried milk,water,patting,singing,leaving him. (If i leave him, he screams) and i really need some sleep now, as he catches up in the day with his naps. (Have also tried cutting naps and putting him to bed later- seems to make it worse!!!) He is teething at mo, but was waking even when he wasnt teething. Any suggestions???! lol x

Replies

• not really sure what to advise as it sounds as if you are trying everything, but didn't want to read and run.

Marcus's sleep goes out the window when he is teething I tend to give him some teetha when he wakes with it in the night to help get him settled which seems to work along side some milk.

Do you think its the separation anxiety thing in the night that he wonders where you are?
  • well he sounds a bit like fin at mo! he went thru phase of waking at 5am but i would gte bottle and bring him in to bed he's drink that and sometimes go back off other times fidget etc... when he wakes he screams, cries, hits his head on cot gets totally beside himself! but then recently he's started waking between 1.30, 2.30, 4, 5 could be any time and he stands in cot screaming and crying i try to lay him down many times and leave him but it doesnt work and in the end he has milk and i even try after that to lay him down but nope he screams again so he come in bed! im sooo tired and dont really know what to try!

i do feel for you espcially with your in laws...cuddles coming your way!

• thanx to both of you for replying.
    jillycat- i dont think its the separation thing, as he is the most secure baby in the world, he has never cried going to anyone else and was totally fine in his own room since 5mths old, b4 coming here. The health visitor did say they go through phases at this age of waking up, but didnt give any tips! And it doesnt really help as i dont know whether i should let him get up for a bit & then put him back or persist and let him scream!
    He slept in our bed last night and was more settled, but im not planning on doing that again. Its hard in the night isnt is when youre half asleep, you dont wanna follow anything through, just just want to sleep! lol.
    Hugs to you too star, sounds like youre getting a hard time of it too. I really hope we both get some sleep very soon!! xxx
  • Do you have a cotbed or a cot for him in his room? We have a cotbed and when cole is awake/unsettled in the night we tend to feed/change him then just get into bed with him until he goes back to sleep/ Cole went through a phase of waking twice a night too, but now he only does that if he's teething/ill - we are back mostly onto the 4/5am wakeup call now.

It could be seperation anxiety or confusion over the move maybe?
  • he has a cot in his room. I did get in with him to settle him a few times but obviously i broke the slacks...lol. Yea perhaps it is the move. Im pretty anxious myself about living here! lol, Well im getting him used to playing in his room/in his cot etc and im going to try putting him down for his naps in his cot in there this week too and see how that goes. very worried bout him waking people at night! x
  • lol! i do worry about breaking the slats in ours too but so far its stood up to both mine and hubbys weight together! Oh and cole's of course.

If you are stressed too about the move he's probably picking up on it from you. Good plan about daytime naps in the cot first and playing in his room - thats what I did when I first moved Cole into his own room and it seemed to work. Could you also let him sleep with a tshirt that you've worn or something too? Is it colder/warmer than he's used to in his room??

• thanx!- i put an extra layer on him last night as i thought he may have been cold and it snowed last night so was freezing, he slept through from 6pm to 6.30am! I really hope he wasnt cold all along though coz i would feel really bad! I am going to do the naps in his room starting from tomorrow and i will try the t-shirt too- good idea.
    katielou- elijah has a lullaby teddy but i havent given it to him recently, i will definetely try that when hes back in his room and will be consistent. I will have to push through my worry that people will be woken up, as otherwise we will get nowhere!
    Thanx again, will keep you posted x
  • wow well done elijah............... fin took nearly an hour to get off and then woke at 4.30am... i gave bottle and brought him in bed!!! got to try and stop doing that! x
  • ah poor you. i doubt my luck will last image xxx
  • we use sleeping bag - we have one of those egg room temp things and its usually reading about 20 so he should be fine!!!

xxx
  • well ive figured the problem- he is cold image but have had a sleeping bag, duvet, blanket, the lot! May have to keep putting the heater on for him as last night was the coldest night of the year, he woke up at 2.30 then into our bed, kicking and wriggling all night imageimageimage xxx
  • Hi Bluey, as you can imagine it is pretty cold out here at the moment. It has been minus 15 the last few days so Brendan has been sleeping in a vest with fleecy sleepsuit over the top, 2 tog sleeping bag, soft fleece blanket, and a duvet. Plus an oil heater on low in his room to keep it from getting too cold.
    It is also worth trying putting a hot water bottle in his cot for 20 mins before you put him to bed so he is nice and warm.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted so you can get some better nights sleep yourself! xx
  • thanks Liz, i was going to ask your advice as i know its cold there! Yes will try hot water bottle too and fleecy sleepsuit is good idea too, am washing as we speak so he can have it tonight image meant to be cold the nxt few days too! x
  • Oh wow..well done elijah! Hope you got a good nights sleep too the other night.
    No idea how cole slept last night..lol he was at my parents! Hope it wasn't too cold in their house for him.

I have a little electric heater in his room that kicks in if it drops below about 15 (unless cole has been fiddling with it again then i have to figure out where the thermostat goes again) and that seems to do the trick
  • what temp are there rooms??? as fin's reads about 20ish usually and i only put him in some think pjs or a long sleeved vest and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag - perhaps he gets cold! i always seem to think he's hot as when i get him out his legs are hot! but now im thinking mmmm he may get cold!

• Coles is about 15-16 at the moment and he's fine in long sleeved vest, pj's and 2.5 tog bag. At least I think he is lol. Its the right clothes for the temp and he always seems warm when he wakes.

now i feel mean cause most people seem to keep their lo's rooms warmer
  • kia- i feel meaner; since we moved i hadnt even thought to put his egg temp thing in bedroom room! it feels majorly cold in there though image
  • well it's the only room in house that has actual heating and its only a small room so it's the warmest room in house!! apart from that its coal fire in lounge!!!

x

• well it's the only room in house that has actual heating and its only a small room so it's the warmest room in house!! apart from that its coal fire in lounge!!!

x

• Star, Maddy's room is usually between 17 and 20 and she wears a vest and fleecy sleepsuit but I haven't been putting her in a sleeping bag... Do you think some of the problems I am having could be coldness? I will beat myself about the head if it turns out to be that!!!