Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Swine flu jab for baby

Hi,

My hv called me up today and said they are offering the swine flu jab to all babies under 6 months old over here so Jacob can have it if I want. I've got an appointment with her on Friday anyway for his check up, weigh in and 2nd lot of normal jabs so she is going to give me more info then but at the moment I am feeling really reluctant to letting him have it. My main concern is that it is a new vaccine so little is known about it. What are your thoughts? Would /have you give(n) it to your los?

Looking forward to hearing your views xx

Replies

• Hiya Liz,
    I personally wouldn't let Holly have it, I just don't think there has been enough time to test it properly and there is deffo no info long term side effects. i was reading (either here or another forum, I cant remember) that someone had had a letter asking for their child to be a test case, that to me just shows how little research has been done into it.
    I'll be interested to see what everyone else thinks!
  • Thanks Amy, good to know I'm not just being silly. As you say without long term research we don't know what the consequences could be. I read on the pregnancy forum one girl had been advised by her midwife not to have it for this reason too. Others seem to be having it and saying they had no side effects so no problem but it isn't the immediate side effects I would be particularly worried about..

Good to get other peoples opinions though as you say xx
  • in pregnancy is a bit different have a look here if you are interested:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427293.200-flu-in-pregnancy-leaves-a-mean-legacy.html

But this jab is basically the normal flu jab (which is very well tested) combined with one new strand! I really doubt there are risks BUT more to the point - how 'at risk' of the flu do you think Jacob is?? Who does he come into contact on a daily basis etc etc and what have the levels of it been like out there?

Max's nursery had an outbreak VERY early on before the summer and so did the school I was working in and the school I am in has one now, I figure we probably will get it at some point - my friends lo who did have it had a VERY high temp but was controlled with calpol and iburpofen for 3 days. Obcv they are giving it to under 6 months it is because they are more susceptible to more serious symptoms.

Now I have waffled on and not answered anything I expert.
  • Hi, thanks MaxiMum, good to get more info. I read late last night that this jab is like a normal flu jab with a little extra. Hubby and I talked about it and he is pretty against Jacob having it as he thinks the whole thing is hyped up a lot and argues that normal flu can be just as dangerous but they never offered to vaccinate Brendan against that when he was Jacobs age.

Jacob himself doesn't come into contact with loads of people however Bren goes to nursery two days a week and hubby is a teacher so between them the exposure is obviously increased. Brens nursery is saying anyone with a temperature above 38 must go home or not come in so they are trying to minimise the spread. At the moment a load of the students from hubbies school are off with it but although I have heard about quite a few 'suspected' cases of swine flu I haven't heard of any confirmed cases as their GP won't see them they just get sent the medication.
    That is why hubby thinks a lot of the figures reporting swine flu outbreak are sensationalised because a lot of the cases aren't confirmed and could be regular flu. Also from what I have read not very many people have died from it, and those that have were poorly with something else when they got swine flu. So in theory the risks are pretty low. In fact his chances of getting up to now have been higher as we have flown 4 times and airports/ planes are supposed to be a bad place for the passing of germs, And our SIL came out at the end of the summer and she had a suspected case a few weeks before she came here.

So bloomin confusing! I think I will ask my hv on Friday what the risks are if he gets it, how fast it gets going (as in how much warning would be have that he may have it) and what treatment he can be given.

More info/ opinion welcome though! x
  • listened to this today and was v interesting bit about swine flu jab and some about in children - about 15 mins before the end I think - You can listen again on this link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00npdkq/You_and_Yours_11_11_2009/
  • I think it's a personal choice but most jabs are given because the advantage outweighs any risks. I think I'd do it if there was any chance id lose my child if I didn't. It's not worth wishing you'd done it and it being too late, but you definitely want to read up on as much as you can so that you feel comfortable with your decision.
    I know it's different but Just makes me think of all the mmr scares and the problems faced by those children whose mums wouldn't do it etc
  • I'm really not sure about the jab as personally I have a bad reaction to the normal flu jab - so my children could have it too.... Fee and Bryn have both had swine flu and it was horrible and although I know they can get it again I'm still not sure I would give them the jab.... as the swine flu is mutating all the time can they be sure the jab will work?? Sorry starting to waffle xx