Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Nap times

Yes more from me! Thanks for reading!

Well, Elijah has always been great at sleeping in the daytime since at 6mths i did the pick up, put down technique to regulate both bedtime sleep and daytime naps. When younger he'd have 2 naps, and has been just 1 for ages now. Usually he wakes up around 7 and then by 10.30 is ready to go back to sleep for around 2 hours.
For the last few weeks hes not wanted to sleep in the day, and generally would either not sleep when i put him down or will get up after 1/2 hour. I thought maybe he was cutting his naps out, but he is so tired the rest of the day he moans CONSTANTLY. Ive tried hanging him out til after lunch but then he gets too tired and wont eat. I just dont know what to do for the best really. I so loved his 2 hour naps!!! x

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

Sounds like he was having the same kind of nap times that Bren was (before his sleeping became a nightmare!). I would usually take the signal from him when he was ready for a nap and it would normally be around 10:30-11:30am and could be from an hour and a half to two hour nap. If it was getting close to 11:30 and he hadn't had a nap yet I would give him an early lunch, then a snack half way through the afternoon when he had woken up.

You could maybe try and bring his bedtime a bit earlier if he really doesn't want a daytime nap? Or giving him a bit more activity in the morning that may tire him out so he is ready for a nap?

I'm not the person to give advice at the moment really! Bren was up at 10am this morning and finally gave in for a nap at 3pm after another tantrum about being put in his bed! I'm off to wake him up now as it is 4:15pm over here so I don't want him sleeping any longer or he will be an even bigger nightmare tonight! xx
  • Options
    Well naps are nutty things but may I say you guys have been VERY lucky to have such long nappers! :lol: Apart from when he was truely tiny in scbu when he slept ALL the time Max has only ever slept half an hour at a time which is never enough time to do anything other than have a cuppa (maybe that is why my house is such a tip! :roll: ) He used to have a 30 min nap at about 10/11 after waking at somewhere after 6 and then have another half hour at 2 ish but the last few weeks when he has been full time at nursery he goes all the way till12/1/2 and then has an hours sleep (bliss) BUT he won't do that at home - we struggle to keep him happy and awake past 10 and if we are out he falls asleep int he car for maybe 10mins but then wakes up when you have to move him he won't nap in his cot someweekend days and yesterdya he had 10 mins sleep at about 12.15 (in the car) and then slept at about 4.15 for 45 mins after we gave in and went out for a walk int he buggy!

However I don't care cos he finally (since Oz) now sleeps through from 7.30/8ish and until 6 at the earliest!

Hope you get it sorted!
  • Options
    Well naps are nutty things but may I say you guys have been VERY lucky to have such long nappers! :lol: Apart from when he was truely tiny in scbu when he slept ALL the time Max has only ever slept half an hour at a time which is never enough time to do anything other than have a cuppa (maybe that is why my house is such a tip! :roll: ) He used to have a 30 min nap at about 10/11 after waking at somewhere after 6 and then have another half hour at 2 ish but the last few weeks when he has been full time at nursery he goes all the way till12/1/2 and then has an hours sleep (bliss) BUT he won't do that at home - we struggle to keep him happy and awake past 10 and if we are out he falls asleep int he car for maybe 10mins but then wakes up when you have to move him he won't nap in his cot someweekend days and yesterdya he had 10 mins sleep at about 12.15 (in the car) and then slept at about 4.15 for 45 mins after we gave in and went out for a walk int he buggy!

However I don't care cos he finally (since Oz) now sleeps through from 7.30/8ish and until 6 at the earliest!

Hope you get it sorted!
  • Options
    Gracie's Ok on about an hour's nap, usually between 10-12, depending where we are/what we're doing. She can sleep longer (esp lately when not sleeping at night) but I've told cm to wake her after an hour or so so she'll hopefully sleep longer at night!
  • Options
    Floyd doesnt wake up till between 9.30 and 10.30 and then has his nap at about 2.30 for half an hour, if he has too much sleep in the day he doesnt sleep at night or he isnt tired at bedtime (8.30) but he has never been a great sleeper as he didnt sleep through until just before he was one. the last few weeks his sleep at night has been rubbish but i think that was down to not eating properly and being hungry at night.
    xx
    31+4
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Yes im so grateful that Elijah has been a good napper, its saved me. But if its over then i may be about to return to work! LOL. Its only exhausting as he follows me round moaning all day without nap image
    Today he is sleeping at the mo, but hes had baby ballet this morning which tired him out. So i think my cunning plan is to hang him out a bit longer in mornings, then give early lunch, like 11am and then hope for the best. Thanks as always for advice x
  • Options
    hey love,
    i miss the nice lng morning and afternoon sleeps although saying that he woke all night so prob wasnt that good! fin now has 1 nap and that is after lunch and childminders about 1 till 3 but at home i cant keep him going so usually konks at 11.30 and then sleeps till 1.30 - doesnt then want lunch which is a bit of issue but he's not wanting it earlier so that doesnt work!!! im just gratful he naps for a ig chunk of time still i hope he still is when lo comes along it will be my saviour!!

• Options
    Naps? what's one of those! Philip dropped to one nap ages ago, which lasted about 45mins at the most at about 3pm, and for the last 6 weeks he's barely had one at all, maybe once a week! He sleeps from 7.30 through till my alarm at 6.45 but often i actually have to wake him atbout 7.10 for his milk and to get ready for daddy to do the school run.