Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Talking update...

Hi,

Just thought I would update from my post a few weeks ago where I was a bit worried about how much/little Bren was saying. My mum has been over for a few days and Brendan the cheeky monkey will happily repeat words she has said to him! So now he can say 'right' (as in right what are we going to do now), wave, where's it gone, dummy gone, 'yes', 'hello'.

In the last week he has def started saying loads more, hubby and I have both heard him say 'tractor', 'dog', 'woof woof', 'meow', 'duck', 'ta', 'whats that','oh no!', 'oh god!' some more clearly than others but all in the right context. So I am hoping he is on the start of a roll and will be saying even more soon! If I go to the shops with him now he thinks it is hilarious to wave and say 'hi hi' to everyone we walk past lol!

Today Jacob was in his cot having a nap and when he woke up Brendan and I heard him crying on the monitor, Brendan picked up the monitor and went 'Ssssshhh!' into the monitor!! So funny!! :lol:

Replies

• Bryn can say 3 recognisable things and thats it ....(including thank you!!) he chatters on in his own language for ages - Tristan didn't speak until he was 2.5 and now he's at one of the top grammar schools around and taking English as one of his A levels so I'm not worried in the slightest. Once he starts speaking he probably won't stop! xx
  • Liz that sounds like rhys he just started copying everything one day and is saying something new everyday now and def putting words together a lot more to make little sentences.
  • Gracie's just picked up on the speaking front now...repeating more and surprising me with random ones too.
    Alfie was very slow to talk, around 2.5yr b4 he would learn new words but he picked it up quickly from then on.
  • That's great news! Apparently my Mum didn't speak til she was about 5 (apart from a weird code that only her sister could understand) She went on to Brisol uni.

Saying all that if it were mine I'd worry terribly although I'm excellent at saying to others 'they all develop in their own time'

• Yey - i think its true that once they start and they get a response from you or praise etc they then soon dont shut up - hehehe!

fin litrally does not stop every day its new words - we have to be so careful as he just copies... he speaks soooo clearly as he does have dummy and that can effect speach - i try not to let him have it much espcially if we are playing or with friends etc as he so doesnt need it and now if he speaks to me i say i cannot understand you and he takes dummy out to tell me - very cute!

he started saying colors this week and his yellow and orange is soooo funny as he sticks his lips out to try to make the word....

just keep going with it liz now he's started and even if you feel like you are repeating all the time just do it they learn well that way and obviously if he gets response he will continue - like when fin wants something to eat he usually goes in kitchena and says eat or more.... so i now say come and tell mummy what you want - he sometimes has hissy fit and cries as wants me there and cant be bothered but most times he will come back to me and say fridge or something then say yogurt or crispts or bar (fruit) etc etc... then he loves it when i repeat what hes asked for and get it for him!

xxxxxxxx
  • ohhhhh good to read this!

I WILL email the stuff I promise! image

Keep it up Bren!
  • Have missed the original post but pleased that Bren is well on the way to being a little chatter box! Philip jabbered in his own way with the occasional recognisable word and suddenly he just seemed to become more understandable, although he still doesn't say mummy properly, but at least it sounds more like mummy than grandad which is what he used to say to me when he was asekd to say mummy! He is becoming a parrot now and repeats everything. When we say we are going out he toddles off saying shoes, then goes to the cupboard opens the door and says coat, soon as the coat is on he shouts we go now and tries to open the front door!

we have finally managed to stop him saying oh god, he now says oh gosh, much more acceptable!