Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Seeing a consultant in the morning

Hi ladies,

Just a quick 'bump' update, as per my last post I was worried about the group B strep as it was found in my urine and everything I have read said I should be on antibiotics now for it to help reduce the risk of premature labour. Well, I called my GP once I got back from the UK and she said that the last sample I left her still showed I had the group b (as expected) but that she was getting conflicting advice from different consultants as to whether I should have the antibiotics or not. Apparantly although it is a concern it is showing in my urine it still isn't extremely high levels so it is 50:50 whether I should have the antibiotics.
My GP doesn't know a huge amount about Group B Strep so isn't able to advice so she has made me an appointment with a consultant in the morning at the hospital I had Bren so I can be retested (again!) and get some more direct advice.

I've been feeling really uncomfortable for the last week or so, my little bean seems to be so low most of the time, and my bits feel really sore and uncomfy (sorry for TMI!!). Not sure if it is sign of thrush or if it is just down to the pressure that is being put down there! Hopefully I will get some answers tomorrow anyway, not really sure what they are going to do which could be fun as I will have Bren with me since hubby is back at work!

I'm quite worried at the thought of my little man arriving prematurely, particularly because so far no-one has been able to give me any more information in terms of how early and if there are things I can be doing to reduce the risks. I'm starting to really feel it when I have been carrying Brendan around, which I have been a lot the last few days as he is still clingy from being poorly.

Makes me realise how lucky I was to have such a straight forward pregnancy with Brendan, I felt totally fab and full of energy until about 32 weeks with him, I'm only 27 weeks now and am really feeling the weight of the bump! :roll:

Anyway, I better go and get organised for tomorrow, I will be going in with hubby as the hospital is about 20 mins walk from where he works, so early start! *yawn*!! I'll let you know how I get on anyway!! xxx

Replies

• I hope you get some more direct answers tomorrow and that the consultant can put your mind at ease a bit. Best of luck and remember to keep us all updated xxx
  • Hi Liz - hope everything goes well today and you get someone who knows what they are talking about.... really hope they can put your mind at ease and give you all the answers you need. Big hugs xxx
  • Good luck hope it goes well, take care
  • Thinking of you Liz, hope all goes well and that you are reassured *hugs* xxx
  • Liz

Hope today went well. It's so hard getting answers in this counrty let alone put the language barrier into the mix! I found pregnancy a real struggle and saw it as a means to an end! little bean still has a lot of growing to do and will probably move upwards soon.

El x
  • Hope everything went ok for you today xxx
  • Hi, thanks for all the lovely messages.

Well, the consultant I saw was very nice but he was German and although he understood English he didn't speak very much so it was a bit of a comical situation where I was answering him in English and doing my best to translate his Norwegian which he spoke with a heavy German accent!!

He gave me an ultrasound which was a nice surprise, everything looked fine and bean is actually measuring more like 28 weeks rather than 27 so that is reassuring. He talked to me about the Group B strep debate and if I had spoken more Norwegian would probably have understood a lot more but this is what I got from what he said:

There is still a lot of debate about whether to treat with antbiotics or not when Group B Strep is found in the urine. If it had been found via a vaginal swab then they would only give antibtiotics when I went into labour, but when it is in the urine it shows you have a higher level and so at more risk of premature labour. So he has given me a course of antibiotics to take for 10 days and then they will do another urine test to see if that has had the appropriate impact on the Group B Strep. That should reduce the risk of going into premature labour which is good. They will still give me antibiotics when I go into labour regardless and once the baby has arrived they will take a blood sample from him and do regular temperature checks to make sure he has no signs of having got the Group B Strep.

So, despite the communication problems I do feel better about it. I have a midwife appointment tomorrow so I will find out more from her as to what he has written on my notes lol!

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed I don't have a reaction to the antibiotics!

On a slightly different note my appointment was on the maternity ward where I had Bren and it was so strange being back there and seeing the ladies with their tiny newborns! They have a chart on the wall showing how many babies have been born each day (in blue or pink depending on what the sex is) and there were no babies born on Brens bday this year!

Hope everyone else is ok xxxx
  • Glad all went well and you feel more at ease. Bet it was lovely seeing him again! Hope the anti-bios work for you and that you can rest up from now on. You do feel it much more with subsequent babies...and you can't kip when you need to cos you have your toddler to run around after!
  • Awww Im pleased all went well and the consultant has put your mind at ease, I guess one of the important things is they know you have it and how to treat it. Sounds like you are in good hands image
    I hope the antibiotics work for you and you get no nasty side effects.
    Keep us posted on what the midwife says tomorrow. xxx
  • Glad it went ok Liz despite the language difficulty.... and an extra scan - what a bonus! Hopefully you wont have a reaction to the antibiotics and you can enjoy your last 12/13 weeks of being pregnant (time has gone so quickly!!).

Take it easy (well as much as you can with Bren running around!) xx
  • hi liz
    nice toread up on how ur doing
    its so exciting
    and thats good that the german doc managed to do somethin about the group b strep,how reassuring that they r gonna test again etc.
    how is bren doin? does he acknowledge the bump??
    hope ur ok xxx
  • Thank you =)

Holly - Bren does seem to realise that there is something going on in my tummy, not sure he 100% understands what lol! I keep telling him his little brother is in there waiting for the better weather so he can come out and play with him!! He does sometimes rub my bump and put his head against it when I am laying on the sofa. I had a bath with him the other evening and he just sat there staring at my bump lol!! Think it scared him a bit so not sure I will be doing that again!!

I saw the midwife today and had a good chat with her, my blood pressure is low again at 90/55 which explains why I have been feeling so tired lately. She also said that as I was feeling lots of pressure low down with the bump I really should take it easy and avoid lifting things too much - like Brendan!! As if I can avoid that!! He has been so clingy lately with his molar teeth coming through he is always coming up to me wanting to be picked up and cuddled! I told hubby when he got back from work and he obviously took heed - left me to give Bren a bath, get him ready for bed etc while he fell alseep on the sofa!!

Men huh?! xx
  • Oh dear Liz! You need to come on a residential with my school next year and leave him to it with 2 boys, not one!
    Rest up and try sitting when Bren wants picking up, rather than standing with him. Ooh I'm on doctor-mode tonight! Do as you're told Mrs! x
  • lol, will do Dr Ali! =)
  • Great you got a scan and some added reassurance Liz, i for one cant wait for you to announce your new arrival!!
    Men!!! how annoying Liz, i get so peed off at things like that! Ive decided to leave hubby with both Elijah and his other son (aged 9) on sat as im going for a much needed girly shopping trip. Havent been without lije for so so long! Its good practice for all of them-will let you know how he copes!! (and whether i ring him a hundred times) x
  • hey lovely - so sorry not been on in so long and missed your posts!

lots going on this end!

so glad theyve given you antibiotics - and hopefully it will clear it up when they next check you!

not long to go now - my friend is 22 weeks with her third and she's got a massive bump already - do yyou feel bigger this time round? i soooo knackered all the time at mo god knows how your coping with being pregnant!

xx