Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

still job hunting

Just thought i'd give a quick update on the job hunt. I saw charlottes put an update on her job situation and thought i'd do the same! Thank you to liz and kia for the fab advice re my cv. I now have a good cv and a better idea of what to write in an application letter. i also feel much more prepared and confident when jobs do come up.
I didn't get the job i applied for but as i didn't have any specific qualifications or much experience for the role i was not upset. it was also a full time job and i'd asked them to consider a job-share. I know the company and funnily enough when i received the rejection letter i was oddly relieved.
i went for a drink with a friend/colleague and had a chat about what is happening at my current work (he's left but had a meeting with them recently). They are really not sounding like good people to work for and as i still haven't received any kind of confirmation from them regarding my job I'm not holding out much hope. i only wanted them to give me an indication of what hours and what shifts they'd be able to give me and i haven't even received this.
while i was in the pub with my friend i chatted to another really good friend who said should i need a job there'd be one there for me. this is a huge relief and i don't need to let him know yet. (advantages of growing up in a small town - i know loads of people)
I applied for a job this week and thanks to the cv advice i was able to fill in the application form relatively easily. its part-time and something that i have a lot more experience in.
unfortunately i had a ring round to establish the childcare situation and its not looking good. of 11 childminders in my town only 6 are full time. so far none have spaces when i would need them and the one and only nursery also does not have any spaces!
I had a chat to them when i phoned for the application form and they dropped it round to me! (small town thing again)
i have mantioned i can work slightly different hours from what they are asking as i can organise childcare for that but will just wait and see.
if not it will be a job in the pub! it will be evenings and weekends so i won't have to worry about childcare at all.
Zach is in pre-school but i'll still have to pay for his childcare during holidays and i'm not sure if i have to pay some kind of retainer so i don't lose the place while he is in school.? does anyone know?
paying for both of them will be at least ??6. an hour and i have to ask myself if its worth it anyway!

Replies

• Hope something comes your way soon, jobwise and childcare-wise, sounds like a nightmare!
    Who is it you may have to pay a retainer to? Your c/m or pre-sch? As our pre-sch only opens term-time, thats all we pay for. For c/m we pay half price for hols and illness absences. HTH x
  • the childminder? she will need to keep a space open for zach for the holidays but he will be at pre-school in term-time. i know i have to pay her now for sickness and our holidays but can't remember how it would work re a holiday only place. i guess it will be the opposite of what you do as you must need a term-time only place and so maybe it is half price too but i guess it depends on the individual childminder, thanks. x

• OMG what a hassle! Theres so much there I hadn't thought of xxx
  • Good luck finding something that suits you. Glad I could help with the app letter image

Its so much hassle isn't it..the childcare! I'm wondering if its gonna be worth it..if we don't get any help towards childcare costs then we'll only be about ??150 per month better off which makes me wonder if its worth giving up the time with Cole.. course my tax workings outm ay not be 100% accurate so I g uess I'll have to wait and see what I actually get paid!
  • so hows the job hunting going???

im keeping my eye out now as work isn't going to plan at the mo!!
    thing im worried about is that whole thing of meeting new people, learning a new job etc... all with a baby at home - dont think i have the energy!!!

xxx