Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

4in1 thread qn dummy/talking/potty/bed/sleepthrough/walking-

Well I thought instead of starting loads of threads I'd just write my list of qns in 1 hope that's ok image

Zachariah is still not talking although I do think yes trying.... I'm just wondering are all your los still using dummies? We still use the dummy, not constantly but I do wonder if that's holding him back

Potties: how's the training going with those that have started

Beds: are your los still in cots or now in beds? And.... Do they all sleep through? Zachariah is still in the cot or our bed and wakes through the night

And finally if zachariah is on the sofa or bed and wants to get off he literally stands up and walks without any fear or realization the he would fall if I don't go to catch him, is this normal as I would have thought by now he should be aware of the need to be careful? I know this may be a visual thing but just interested to know what the others do

Ok thanks hope all is well with all of you and you're all enjoying the sun atm, we are with lots of trips to the park and icecream treats LOL

Replies

• Hi,

Bren isn't really talking yet, he babbles away at us and will even come up and tap us and babble as though he is telling us something and then laugh at the end lol! He can say Dadda, Mamma, makes very good aeroplane noises, sometimes says J or juice when he wants a drink but not very often. He still has a dummy but he doesn't seem massively bothered about having it during the day so I generally don't give him it unless he is tired or grumpy!
    Potty training we have shown him the potty a few times and we have a toilet seat thing for him, we haven't had any wee's or anything yet and we aren't really pushing it to be honest just making him aware it is there. After thinking about it despite the cost of nappies it will be easier having him in nappies still when our new lo arrives so I don't have to worry about getting him to a loo or little accidents!

Sleeping wise Bren is a bit hit and miss at the moment, he was sleeping through 12 hours but then he got at tummy bug followed by loads of teeth coming through so we have had a lot of distrubed nights with him.

Bren is pretty good when it comes to not falling off things though, he normally turns himself around and climbs down backwards. He is always climbing over stuff and treats the sofa like an obstacle course! He is more likely to trip and fall over the edge of a rug or doorway than fall off the furniture - touch wood lol!

We are going to move a bed into Brendans room soon, we have been saying it for ages but not got round to it! I've got the safety rail, a gate for his doorway and a nice Noddy bed set so we just need to put the bed in now and see how he gets on. Need to get a move on really as I would like to do it before the baby arrives so it isn't too much all at once for him. xxx
  • Jack isnt talking as such yet but can say lots of words and babbles and sings to us all day. He sings along to the song by MADCON called BEGGIN and if its on he runs into room and dances and shouts beggin!!
    He hasnt had a dummy since xmas and when he did it was only for naptimes he wouldnt entertain it any other time.

Not even bought a potty yet!

Jack has a cotbed and been in own room in it since 16wks old. Tonight is his first night with quilt rather than sleeping bag!

Hes quite good at turning round and climbing down from things but loves climbing at the mo and doest understand that not everything can be climed on xxx
  • Mia talks non stop!copies everything we say! she also has to have a dummy most of the time!
    We have a potty as she went through a stage of saying bum when she had done a poo and would bring me a pack of wet wipes! but that only happened 5 times, so havent really made an effort to start potty training properly yet. But would like too soon as with two little ones in nappies i change about 16 nappies aday....!gets abit annoying!
    Mia is in her own room still in her cot, but sleeps right through, from 7-til7 usually. We are getting her a bed soon though as she will be moving into another bedroom so our son wil have her nursery.
    Mia usually turns and goes down things backwards, or will make sure she's holding your hand if she's goin to be daring!!
    xx
  • Rhys isn't Talking as such but says a number of words and is trying to say more and more things recently copying us but not consistantly.

We haven't even bought a potty yet as STILL not walking apart from the odd step.

He has his dummy still but we are trying to limit to just in his cot from this week

He still in his cot at the minute but in his own room and we are very lucky sleep wise as he goes down at 7pm and goes through till anytime from 7-9 usually about 8 8.30. Although he does sometimes wake for his glowworm to be pressed or dummy put in but he's straight back to sleep in minutes.

As for the walking.... well can't really say anything on that cause the little lazy bum is having none of it. and when he does do a step he goes sideways.
  • As becci don't worry he'll get there, even though zachariah is walking he still tends to prefer crawling when out n about, I'm sure the shoe shop think I'm crazy for putting him in shoes as they've only seen him crawling about tsk!

Well as for everything else I guess I'll leave it as is, I'm trying to hide dummy most days but yes teething so not doing it much.... He has a potty and when I change him I sit him on it hut really think I'm pushing my luck there LOL. Bed , just aaaarrrggh! And I asked the paed about walking off things and they agree it prob is visual
  • DUMMY - Oakley has this to go to sleep and very occassionaly if he is tired in the day, this is because I think it doeas impair speech development

POTTY - Haven't even bought one yet have mixed feelings, heard that boys are usually later and that trying too soon can be counter productive but also had a friend the did VSO and she said the babies in Eritria (sp?) were toilet trained at about a yeart as they had no nappie. But this could mean they went anywhere and it wasn't that much of an issue as mud floors and they just 'send their rubbish away' in the streets, not sure. LO doesn't really know when he's done a poo so it must be too early for him.

BEDS - Oakley has a 120cm x 80cm cot is fine in it and will keep him in there as long as poss, the side can drop down so it will stop him falling out but he can get out. Have ikea extendable toddler bed in the loft ready for when needed. he sleeps through and loves his new duvet from ikea.

SOFA - Could be a sight thing? LO sits on sofa / us and when he wants to get down he arches his back and slides down.

Hope that's of some use!?
  • Firstly w4b, please don't worry overly at your los development (good god I sound like a health pro! lol). They all develop at different rates, but in time catch up.
    Gracie has only really just started saying mama in context, gar-gar for grandad, goggy for doggy, cahhh for cat.
    She has dummy when tired and during night.
    She's in a cot and will be till 2 ish (prob bit b4 so not too near Xmas!)
    She sleeps through, but has taken to waking up between 6-6.45 all this week. Argh!
    She's very daring and will try to copy what the boys do. Scares me when she jumps on the settee but she can get down alone so I leave her sitting there.

Oops, forgot potty! Charlie was 18m when first pooed on the toilet then was trained at 2y2m, Alfie a bit older as he was 2y2m when G arrived. May try her during summer hols but not desperate.

[Modified by: alioli on April 25, 2009 08:18 AM]

• Dummy: Elijah has never wanted one and recently he has found one that we had for him in case and keeps putting it in, doesnt talk when he has it in, so maybe this is a factor?
    Elijah speaks alot, says some sentences now but i think thats a bit forward for his age, they are all different, and Elijah has always been a bit behind in terms on movement (sitting up, turning over, walking: he started walking this week!)
    Potty: havent got one, am planning on starting this when we move and when weather is warmer in summer. My mum always says 2yrs 3mths was the date all her babies were potty trained by.
    Bed: Elijah in cot in own room. Usually sleeps from 6pm-7am although occasionally wakes in night for a milk, which i give him to drink on his own on his little pillow.
    Sofa: Elijah usually goes down things backwards but sometimes can fall or doesnt seem to see the danger as he gets over excited
    xxxx
  • Henry still has his dummy quite a bit - esp when he's teething - he's got a bit of a temper on him and the dummy makes my life so much easier!! Having said that he's a proper chatter box so I'm sure the dummy isn't making any difference there. He's only really come on in the last couple of weeks but he copies everything we say now and communicates with words more now rather than just crying or dragging us to the 'bissit' cupboard!!!

He hides now when he's doing a poo so I think he might be ready to start trying potty training soon before the new baby arrives but he's not very keen on sitting on his potty yet. He much prefers sitting on the toilet on his training seat - probably as he sees mummy doing it - he likes to copy!! I'm also sort of ignoring everyone's advice that he's ready too as it's driving me mad!! I'm the one that's got to do it all day!!! And plus mother and mil have been saying for months that he's ready but he really wasn't!

Henry is in a cot bed and has a duvet and pillow. Hubby is going to make him a bed in time for xmas so the new baby will be able to have the cotbed this time next year. I'm really nervous about him going in a bed as I'm sure he'll keep getting out! Plus their bedrooms are on the top floor so although we've got a gate at the top of the stairs I don't like the idea of him running around his room unsupervised!!

And the sofa thing - I'm pretty sure that's got something to do with personality too as Henry does this all the time - he does sometimes turn to get off but if he's in a hurry or just being silly he'll just walk off. He does this with the stairs too - he runs out of the lounge once the gate's open and straight to the top of the stairs and if I weren't there to grab his hand he would literally fly off the top and fall down them - I would have thought he'd be a bit more cautious too by now!! He also stands on his chair and jumps on it - no matter how many times he falls he still does it - now he shouts 'get down' as he's doing it - little sod!! He also seems to have a really high pain threshold so maybe he's just a little bruiser!!

xxx

• ok here goes:

Dummy/talking - we got rid of Max's at 10.5 months, but Max isn't really talking - he has some words - dar (car), duck (truck), dis (this), no no no, nah, but he has quite a few noises, moo, baa, neigh, quack quack, mow (miaow) woo woo (woof woof), roar (for lion/tiger etc), oink oink, ey or (donkey), buck buck buck (chicken), choo choo, brrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm, nee na (emergency vehicles) but none of them are words really so I am sure it will all even out!

Potties - GOING NOWHERE NEAR ANYTIME SOON! :lol:

Beds/cots: Max is still in his cot in his own room! AND FINALLY is sleeping through 7.30 till 6ish and even then he entertains himself for about half an hour happily in his cot in the mornings! This is a major step forward though and has only been the last month or so and it was a struggle! it took a week/10days of being VERY strong with controlled crying with my hv support and BOY am I glad I did it!

Walking off stuff/no fear: MAx has this in abundance - luckily nursery havd a set of steps and ramp so they are teaching him to go DOWN stairs, he is quite good at turning round ont he sofa and we are trying with off the deckin in the garden but not getting far and in the bedroom he would just walk straigh off our bed and has no concept that he is 2 foot up!!! :roll:
  • talking - i have to say fin does say a lot, and very clearly he has his favorites: tractor, shoes, daddy, car, van, owl, owch, moo, cat, nenanena, woof, nanna for bananna and nanny, cheese, poo and then several words that he says randomly: please, mumma, cop cop for helicopter, baba bus

- he too has dummy for naps and sleep when he's grumpy or ive had enough of him (bad mummy - as i know he'll be quite and play or watch telly) but to be fair usually in day he hasn't got it! my friends little one had it bit too much and he was very delayed in speaking but then about 18 months she contiously took dummy away in day and got out books and spent time going through words and on telly and animal noises etc and he obviously knew it all but just didnt say it out load cause he soon was catching up!!!

Potty training - not even thought about it yet! he does say poo eother before or after he has done one so a bit aware. they say to do it properly they need to understand everything you say, take off there own trousers, be aware of wee and poo, take instructions - fin does not do all of this and prob wont for some time!

sleeping - hit and miss really! he sleeps in sleeping bag with dummy and his elephant, most nights has bottle and then goes straight off and if good night will sleep till 6.30am - other nights he will just stir and cry out and we have to find his dummy, other nights he will wake and scream, cry and we end up with him in our bed as i have no energy and he gets sooo upset and angry - the mornings get me and hubby - we are sooo tired as he can wake as early as 5am although usually between 6-6.30am!!!

awareness - fin good with sofa etc turns himself around and down but when we go park he will be on climbing frame and will just go to walk off where there is a firemans pole or something - gives me heartattck!

i wouldnt worry to much as kiddies are different and learn at different pace!!!

xx
  • LOL thanks all I think the sofa thing could be like henry as I've discovered when I'm not there for him to take the running jump at he seems to get down from the bed with no problem - haven't dared leaving him on the sofa for same test yet as higher up and no carpets! Gulp!
  • Dummy - Philip has his at bedtime and first thing in the morning but before i give him his bottle i tell him to throw it away, which he does giggling and doesn't seem to want it back. Occasionally will have one if he is obviously tired in the day and is fighting sleep but when he spits it out it goes in the wash. Occasionally will go in the kitchen point at the pot and say "diddy" but he doesn't get it!

Talking - says quite a few things that we can understand but others have difficulty with, says cat, dog, daddy, diddy, birdie, car, milk, i did it, i do it, up, down and the latest is "don't want it"! obviously they are not really clear yet but we get what he's trying to say

Potty - had one in the front room since xmas, a great hat and thing to stand in!!! Got a wee but that was more luck than judgement! Have bought a seat type one as the basic one from boots is too low for him. He's started telling me if he's poo'd when i get him out of his cot in the morning, and if you ask if he's poo'd he'll say yes if he has and ignore you if he hasn't but we can now tell when he is cos he's hiding behind his trike or the curtain!!

Sleeping - sleeps 7.30 till about 7am, still in our room as dread putting him in with step son!!! Does stay in his own bed and our moving around, going to bed etc doesn't seem to disturb him, very grateful for that!!

Walking - started walking at 10.5 months and hasn't stopped!!!!! If he wants to get down he lies on his belly and slides off the bed or settee. Latest trick is to stand on his stool and throw himself onto the sette of jump off onto the floor - seems to have no fear or sense of danger!!

They all develop at different rates and speeds and they will all even out eventually. Think Philip is lucky to have older siblings to copy and slightly older friend and cousin to teach him things too. Just would like to know who taught him to open his water bottle!!!!