Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

taking baby abroad

Has anyone taken their lo abroad yet? Is anyone intending to?

If so, does anyone have any advice about what I will need, what I can get whilst there, what to do about water, etc etc.

We are driving to the south of France and staying in a large static tent ( we have been doing this for the past 12 years and are determined to carry on with lo), only now it is getting close I am getting a bit worried that it is a bad idea. Lo is 5 months today and generally a very chilled out easy baby, Mummy is the stressed out one!!!

Was planning to do cold water sterilising whilst there, instead of taking steam one. What water do I use to make bottles? tap or bottled?

Anyone know what makes of food you can get? We use SMA. What about jars as we have started weaning?

Hope someone can help. x

Replies

• Options
    Hiya,

We havent taken lo abroud but moved from Scotland to ROI and believe me it is like living abroad!! Cold water sterilizing is a great idea Im not sure what kind of water to use? Maybe boiled water? I don't think you are ment to give lo's bottled water because of the sodium content but have been told evian is ok. I would check that out with your hv though as Im not 100% sure on that. With regards to jars if thats what you are planning on using I would take some with you because to start with we had trouble finding them and then when we did they all had meat or something she couldn't have.
    Its a nightmare thinking about all is sort of thing isn't it? Hope you have a lovely holiday
    xxx
  • Options
    my cousin took her little one to france at 6 mnths and spain at 9 months. They used boiled bottled water to make up bottles and took enough food to last a couple of days until they found somewhere they coild get it.
    Have a lovely holiday x
  • Options
    We are going camping tomorrow and are taking milk cartons simply because its easier than faffing with boiled water. We are cold water sterilising and we've got milton tablets. As for food - Cole isn't having much food yet but we are taking his fruity brekkie cereals and we have some jars just because its easier. Course..we are only going to Derby so its not the end of the world if we run out of stuff!!

The travel bottles were about ??4 or ??5 for 4 I th ink.. can't remember rightly but I decided it was too expensive!

We've also packed the calpol sachets, nurofen, suncream and dentinox!

We've done a bottle of boiled water to take with us for Coles brekkie and his sippy cup - we are only going till monday so that should be enough water for him - it just saves us messing with boiling water

Hope you have a good time image
  • Options
    I would advise taking some of the ready made cartons to have on standby if you cannot sterlise quickly. I know Aptimil do them. They are expensive but don't need to be kept in the fridge so you can have a spare in your changing bag.
  • Options
    I dont think i could go abroad yet, i have enough trouble going to mums in norfolk! I panic far too much and know that i wouldnt enjoy it!

Anyway, sorry cant be of much use but the others seem to have good advice.

Have a lovely holiday

• Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Despite the nerves I am really looking forward to the holiday. My husband will get some quality time with lo and might even start to understand how much work it is being with them all day!

I can't imagine how we will fit all the stuff in the car, but it will be a challenge!
  • Options
    we haven't been abroad but we might aswell have the planning it involved and nuerous lists... anyway we just took the cartons it was soooo much easier... but when we went to hotel overnight and needed to steralise we used cold water from tap then milton steralising tablets... xx
  • Options
    We've just come back from camping and the big thing I'd recommend is to make sure you have a forward facing car seat if possible. Cole was very good but he did get upset at one point and we were stuck on the motorway and couldn't do anything.. at least if he'd been facing front then we'd have been able to see him and I could have probably managed to reach round and hold his hand to try and calm him. We are due to go to bil's wedding in August which is about a 5 hour drive and we are def gonna get a forward facing seat before then. At least hopefully we are.. I'm pretty sure the 0-4 years ones are forward facing.. think I'd better go check now!

Cartons and jars for food are the way forwards ... it was dead easy having cartons and wasn't too much hassle washing and cold water sterilising hte bottles.. although forgetting washing up liquid wasn't clever!