Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Do you still boil lo's water?

At the title says really! Holly was drinking her bath water from a cup shaped bath toy this evening. And im still boiling her water!! And she had probably wee'ed in the bath water so im wondering if its time to stop yet?! Says the mummy who still sterilises too. Am i crazy?

Thanks! x

Replies

• Lol nope you aren't. WE are still sterilising coles bottles although we finally stopped sterilising his spoons when we washed them all before putting them away in the new kitchen adn there was not enough room in the steriliser!

We have just stopped giving him boiled water to drink but only cause we have a water filter jug - haven't told my mum yet to stop boiling water at her house!

Guess I'm nuts too cause cole drops his toothbrush in the bathwater then picks it up a nd chews on it again!
  • i dont boil and i dont sterilise, not since bout 8 months ish really. he is fine! and hv ok'd it...not that i care what SHE says!
    not sure bout filtered water dont think kids are supposed to have it filtered as it takes out everything they need. but tbh if i had hard water like in last place i would filter and boil!

wouldnt worry too much! xx
  • Doesn't boiling take out everything too though? I have no idea if we have hard water tbh, we just got the filter jug cause I hate water but thought I might drink it if it was filtered. Stupid jug doesn't fit in the fridge though so I still drink juice! lol!

Tut tut though Holly..fancy not caring what the HV says! I listen to my hv's every word! Honest image
  • Not boiled water for drinking for ages! Don't do any sterlising either but we don't have any botles and everything else goes through the dishwasher anyway!
  • Holly hasnt had boiledwater for ages and have only just put her steriliser in the loft. She is on cows milk and doing really well. I think its such an individaul thing and whatever suit you really.
    We have really hard water and f you didn't put it through the filter you are left with a pile of lime in the bottom of your glass yuck!!
    Holly I am shocked and outraged that you don't listen you your HV pml xxx
  • good point kia... hmm. well nevermind haha. our tap water is the best ive ever seen (inc the 7 time filtered shite u get in london) so he has that lol xx
  • Still give Philip boiled purely because the kettle is on at the time i'm doing the drinks ready for next day! Stopped sterilising last week, being a bit of a martyr i really could have stopped months ago!

• No, not given it boiled for a coupla months i think...and not sterilised for about a month when I started switching her over from formula to cow's milk.
  • I'm still doing boiled water. And I'm still sterilising. But only because lo has a bit of a sensitive stomach. Not really sure when I'll stop. Probably when lo is on beakers instead of bottles. Who's on whart? I'm in no rush despite the hv saying milk in beakers at 6 mnths. Children have always had a bottle til about 3 yrs so we will just see how we go on that one.

El x
  • Thanks guys. I think im going to start using normal tap water in hollys beakers after her birthday on wednesday. And then at the weekend I will stop sterilising!! Holly still has 2 bottles a day, morning is cows milk and bedtime is follow on formula (just so i know she is getting vitamins and iron really) so i will continue to make that with cooled boiled water as that one is no trouble. And when the tin in the cupboard is gone i will probably switch the bedtime milk to cows too.
    Hlly has no trouble taking water from beakers and drnks it all day long but will not touch milk in a beaker, she woudl rather go with out, and has on a few occassions that we have tried!! Where do they get their stuborness from?!
  • fin has drunk normal tap water since about 7 months not boiled, but i do steralise his bottles still just hadnt thought to stop!

also not doing very well with moving to cows milk - need to try a bit harder really he spits it out on its own so need to try mixing it with formula!

• can i mix non boiled water with formula?
  • Star i had to mix formula with cows milk too as Philip spat straight cows milk literally back at me! just slowly changed the ratio from 6oz formula to 1oz cows to the other way over the course of about 10 days, one thing i have noticed though is that he will drink 9oz of cows milk at bedtime but couldn only manage 7oz of formula at bedtime.

Sarah - not sure about that but can't see why not, water is water at the end of the day, although i'm sure a hv would say different!

[Modified by: Pootle OB on December 30, 2008 09:50 PM]