Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

The cotbed sides are off - new cuddly appropriate? (also in Toddler)

Hey ladies, and a Happy New year to you all!

Well, we bit the bullet and took a side off Skye's cotbed last night (the other cotbed side is against the wall so we didn't remove it yet) image She has been terrible to settle at bedtime for the last 2 weeks, coinciding with her falling out of the cot one day quite badly image

So we thought we'd get on with the "big girl's bed thing" while we're both still off work in case there are repercussions! She took her usual hour to settle, with a new stairgate across her door to stop her running amok, but wasn't too bad really for her first night of freedom! She slept all night no problem which was great image

So now we just need to adress the hour long crying/screaming that happens before she actually sleeps...

She didn't get any new bedding for her cotbed as she had a duvet set in cotbed size anyway, so I was wondering if a new cuddly may be appropriate as a "perk" for staying in her big girl's bed instead? she doesn't like us leaving her at all so maybe a new light-up cuddly might help??

Have any of you given a new toy when making the transition to a bed?

I have my eye on a cuddly light changing teddy in the sale in Argos, as last night she went to sleep with her new torch LOL!!!

Any thoughts/experiences please ladies?

Thanks, Iz and Skye x

Replies

• We had a phase of crying and screaming when we put dd to bed. It started after she was woken up by the fireworks on bonfire night. It lasted about two weeks until i did controlled retreat. She was fine as long as one of us stayed with her but this too could take an hour or more.
    So i tried controlled retreat where you stay by her bed cuddling then sit up then just keep edging away then stand up but making sure she can see you. Keep edging away until by the door then close it slowly.

If she became upset or tried to get out of bed just go back and settle her down then do it again but quicker until you get the the point you were at when she got upset if that makes sense.

It took about 3 or 4 nights before we were back to putting her to bed then just leaving again. Also we left the landing light on until she dropped off. At around 2 they develop a sense of fear for the first time so this may help to reassure that you are still there and there is nothing to be afraid of

• We had a phase of crying and screaming when we put dd to bed. It started after she was woken up by the fireworks on bonfire night. It lasted about two weeks until i did controlled retreat. She was fine as long as one of us stayed with her but this too could take an hour or more.
    So i tried controlled retreat where you stay by her bed cuddling then sit up then just keep edging away then stand up but making sure she can see you. Keep edging away until by the door then close it slowly.

If she became upset or tried to get out of bed just go back and settle her down then do it again but quicker until you get the the point you were at when she got upset if that makes sense.

It took about 3 or 4 nights before we were back to putting her to bed then just leaving again. Also we left the landing light on until she dropped off. At around 2 they develop a sense of fear for the first time so this may help to reassure that you are still there and there is nothing to be afraid of

• Thanks for a prompt reply Karen!

Tonight has been much, much better thank goodness. image My hubby put her to bed as she's worse with me, and she didn't get out of bed when he slowly left the room, which was great. She did get up about 10 minutes after he left her, as her comforter fell out of her bed, and then started to get a bit upset, so he went back up settled her down, and she got back in, babbled for 15 minutes and has fallen over by herslef, phew image

I did get her the light up teddy which she seemed very pleased with, so it may have helped too!

We leave a light on upstairs for her too at the moment, so hope we can get over the trauma/fear in the next few days like Cariad did.

Here's hoping for another good night and only a few more stressful bedtimes

iz & Skye x
  • No problem was in the bath playing with my new phone in peaceimage glad the contolled retreat work for you and skye and that things get back to normal soon
  • Glad things seem better for you..so many things to do once they turn 2...big bed, toilet training...a busy year ahead.

I have to say i've been so lucky..my husband has been desperate to put her in a bed. I've been against it as i feel we have plenty of time. Plus selfishly, i didn't want to spend my hols up and down the stairs...needed some r and r!

So as a deal...i said he could do it as long as he sorted her out!

Annoyingly...she spent 4 nights with cot sides down (fell out of bed once) and then my husband annouced he was putting her in a single bed which arrived xmas eve!!!! She's been fine since. I'm amazed and he's smug! image

I'm sure as i've had this easy, then toilet training maybe a different story.

xx
  • I put her to bed tonight and she was amazing, so pleased image didn't leave the bed once and was asleep in 20 minutes. We did have a 3am wake up call last night but hoping it was a one-off!

Thanks for you replies and glad to hear Lily has been good too LD...even if you hubby is rather smug, teehee! x