Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

play day ideas

hey biddies,

i remember a while ago everyone gave ideas of games that they played with their little ones and toys they loved. it came back to me this morning as i remembered someone saying about getting a big bowl with warm water, bubble bath and bath toys and letting the boddles have a good splash and play - we spent the morning doing just that and had so muc fun i thought it would be good to have a new thread with new gamesideas now our babies are a little bit older?

theo is still obsessed with his ball, and is now really good at catching (actually better than me!), although his favourite thing to do with them is roll them all under the couch then shout 'mum, there!' for me to get them all out!:roll:

he is also big into books and jigsaws. he loves sitting looking through his books, or bringing them to me to read together. he started getting into jigsaws a few months ago, at 1st the ones that had the pictures in the hole so he matched the piece to the picture, but now he likes the ones with just the hole (if you know what i mean!).

he also loves colouring - pictures and on his chalkboard (and unfortunately on everything ese too - therefore we have not tried painting yet! but i am thinking about buying him aquadraw - anyone got it? is it any good?)

he has got a few favourite toys - mainly those that play music like his piano and a fisher price airoplane that plays a high and low song which gets pressed a lot!!!

he enjoys nursery rhymes and LOVES dancing - to any kind of music. at least once a day we put the radio on and have a jump about to whatever songs come on!

he is very good at playing, both with me and on his own if i have to clean/cook/etc. but i guess i'm looking for some new ideas on getting him moving more as a lot of the things we do together are sitting - reading/jigsaw/playing catch etc and i want to get him up and about more.

thanks very much,
k & t xx

Replies

• I'll be watching closely too as could do with some new ideas. Stuck at home with RSI in both hands so need things to occupy C that don't put pressure on my hands.

INTG is our saving grace. C will watch whole episodes without a problem - it's been fantastic when we're trying to pack stuff into the car or loft as he doesn't mind being shut in the lounge to watch it and means he's not getting into trouble while we pop in and out. He's also into mickey mouse clubhouse.

books are the top thing. We tend to have about 20-30 stories per day (when not at nursery). often it's 1 book 7-10 times, and a couple more to break the monotony. car boots, sainsburys on their 3 for 2 and tk maxx have helped a lot with providing supplies.

Loves his garage and little people stuff. Musical instruments too.
    Outside he's got a swing he will spend a lot of time on, sand/water table, big slide. Picking raspberries is a fave too, along with throwing/kicking balls.
    Wish it was warmer so I could get the paddling pool out. If my hands weren't playing up I'd probably try some 'cooking' with him - mix up flour/water etc and have fun with that.

A box of shredded paper is apparently a good one too.

Jigsaws are the other thing he spends hrs with.
  • Must admit the telly has become a major feature of late in our household :roll:

Skye is absolutley obsessed with Fifi and the Flowertots, and will happily sit and watch a whole DVD of it, about 45 minutes! Naughty Mummy, but at least I can cook tea or do a spot of housework without somebody hanging off me!

Other than that she likes to sing and dance with me, and she has finally got the hang of her trike for indoors and scoots about between rooms quite well! Much bouncing on our bed seems to go on as well when I am trying to get ready in the mornings!! She has also got quite into her megablocks and duplo, building towers and houses (of sorts!)

I often give her bits an bobs to put in the kitchen bin, which keeps her busy running back and forth.

We actually get out and about quite a bit, visiting relatives and popping into town for shopping/coffee. We do soft play, swimming, and local music classes. We also sometimes walk to our village library so we can get new books, great for tiring her out. We also walk in the woods so she can kick up leaves and run down the dells etc.

The village pub also features heavily in our outings so she can run about and play with the other children there during the holidays!! :lol:

Iz & Skye x
  • thank you, some great ideas already - i'm gonna try the 'cooking' and playing with uncooked pasta soon, that should be fun! sorry to hear about your hands kristin, hope they are not too painful and hope you are well leigh and your pregnancy is going well, and can't believe tyler had a nearly 3 hour nap! if theo has an hour i'm shocked!!! (and delighted!)

iz we are exactly the same - just this week we had lunch and park with friends mon, day in indoor play place with different friends today, meeting another group of friends for a peter pan and pirate treasure hunt in the palm house in sefton park tomorrow, have a day filming thurs (my cousin has asked if theo can be in a short film he's making!) and then i'm working fri! crazy busy! which we love, we have got so much out of baby groups, rhyme time at the library, musical minis, etc, but when i went back to work in march cos i'm in different days every week depending on what events are on, so i carried on doing everything i was doing before, plus squeezed in working too!

now i think i would like to start trying to have one day at home with just the 2 of us so i can concentrate solely on theo, so getting ideas for those days is great!

chat soon, k & t x
  • Just had another thought, we have Play Doh at home which I haven't got out of the cupbaord for a while, but Skye has quite a bit of fun squishing it about. It may be age 2 or 3+ but as long as it's supervised it can't do much harm! It's quite cheap to buy a couple of tubs too, less than a ??1 each one I think. Could be another day at home play idea? x
  • Isaac's fave activities when home are: zooming round on his ride on and scuttlebug (excellent lightweight trike which you can fold up and take under the pushchair to the park etc) Playing with his sand and water table, mostly throwing sand and pouring water all over himself! We have a slide too which keeps him busy. Loves his toy garage, teaset and car transporter which gets pushed everywhere. He will only sit still when we are reading a book, loves books especially about tractors and cars and the like!

He loves tv too!! If we're indoors he always makes a bee line for it. ITNG is still the overall favourite. Enjoys music and dancing and still sometimes plays with his leapfrog activity table dancing to the music!

He isn't really into anything arty yet. He loves scribbling with my biro on a magazine but no interest in crayons. We have an aquadraw but he's still not interested yet but they do look fab and non messy!

Ideas for arty crafty things: playing with a tub of gloop (cornflour and water mixed together), big bowl of water with food colouring in, jelly!, paints and sponges, lots of cereal boxes and cardboard pulling apart and deconstructing, making a collage - lots of bits and pieces to stick onto big piece of paper, making and playing with playdough, chalk drawing on the patio. Have tried some with Isaac the coloured water and jelly were the biggest hits!

We have started cooking together. His fave bit is sticking his fingers into golden syrup when we make flapjacks and making the mixture fly everywhere with his wooden spoon! :lol:

Oh he also loves playing hide and seek and chasing mainly him chasing me actually, finds it very funny! And of course bouncing on the bed is a daily favourite. We have an ITNG play path game which I'm hoping to use soon as anything related is a big hit. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playskool-Night-Garden-Interactive-Game/dp/B000ZIVRBI

He does get very bored if we are inside for too long, every single shoe gets brought to me and he will just want to watch tv when he has exhausted everything else which doesn't take long sometimes! ;\)