Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08

Nakedness!

A bit random but interested to know how you feel about being naked around your LOs.

DH and I wander around naked upstairs without a second thought (er, not just randomly, in the morning or when showering or whatever) and Lily is usually just pottering around upstairs with us, or kneeling up against the shower banging on the glass, lol. I also go to the loo in front of her all the time - she follows me and I don't want to shut a door in her face!

Just for general discussion purposes, when do you think this becomes inappropriate, if at all? (I am still perfectly happy to wander around naked in front of my own mum, though def not my dad!)

Replies

• We're pretty much the same with pottering about naked. Though I admit I encourage it because I was a chubby child and had a lot of abuse from my dad and people in street about my size and was bulmic so pretty much hated my body for years. I'm a lot more confident now but want Lorelei to feel she can be herself and see we all have different bodies and don't need to look like a magazine model to be a nice person. Though there is an age limit I guess, on a lighter note, my pal whom I posted about yesterday who had her baby early- a girl after having 3 boys has some crackers. Few weeks ago her 3.5year old put his pants on and pulled them up really high and then complained they were girl pants. Adele said no they aren't what do you mean? He said, ' They're up my bum and everytime you put your pants on you stick them up your bum so mine must be girl ones' She realised then was the time to dress in private lol
  • we also potter around naked. dh is fine about being naked infront of milly too. she knows Daddy has a willy athough calls it Wally (pronounced like Pally with a W) and we explained early on about Willy's etc. she watched daddy go for a wee and stuff and accepted it no problem. she has also asked all about where she and Ruby came from and how they got there and where the seed came from that they grew from and so on so have had to explain all that too!!! i have answered all questions honestly as dont believe in telling her untruths. she seems fine with it and is not embarrassed about bodies or willies.
    We did have to draw the line when she tried to pull daddy;s willy in the bath once though.
    i will always be happy to be naked in front of the girls and i hope they will be in front of me as i still do infront of my sister and my mum and also quite happily change in communal rooms at swimming pool etc. i accept though that there will be a point that dh will prob feel uncomfortable about it maybe?
  • We are happy to be naked too :lol: that does sound funny! Isaac usually comes into the bathroom while I shower in the morns, he starts shouting 'ba' 'ba' - bath!! He then trys to give me my clothes whilst I'm still in the shower bless him! If I go to the loo I often take him in with me too, he has worked out how to flush the loo now tho :roll:
    He prob sees less of my DH naked as I'm usually the one looking after him. I don't know about when it becomes inappropriate depends on your thinking. But I doubt Isaac would want to see me wandering around naked when he's gets to his teenage years!! Hmmm, I suppose it's different for mums of boys and girls!

Regarding all the awkward questions that will be coming my way soon, I would be honest and give simplified answers as naomi says. I wouldn't want my children to feel embarrased about being naked and bodies in general. xx
  • nakedness goes here too. I figure that as I've got a boy, I'll probably start shutting the door when I go to the loo/have a shower when he's around 5 - I'll see how it goes and judge when I think it will be appropriate. At the moment I still like the freedom of not needing so shut doors and wander round as we want. At the moment I think it's useful for them to see how adults go to the loo etc and can help with potty training when they come to it.
  • Yeah i wander round naked in the morning before i jump in the shower etc....the girls often come and watch me shower or one of them (Ruby) will get in with me especially if im in the bath haha! They haven't seen sam naked but they have seen him in his underwear and been in the bathroom when he's been to the loo and they know he has a willy and there fine with it! I dont think its a problem to be naked around your children they will let you know when they arent comfortable but with mums and daughters i dont think itr is aprt from the puberty time girls do get shy but i dont mind my mum seeing me naked and after she seen me give birth it dont get less glam and more gory than that i have nowt to hide lol! I think sam wouldnt want the girls to see him naked once they got to 6/7 but i guess we will see when it happens! Good discussion topic pinktoothbrush hows the bump doing?? You nearly there yet?
    http://lb2f.lilypie.com/j5MA.png

http://lagf.lilypie.com/6h6Q.png

• We have no problem with nakedness at all. As a Biology teacher very little bothers me anyway. I had 6th form girls jumping up and down the other day pretending to examine their breasts for cancer. And I use balloons to show the boys how to examine their testicles.

Anyway I've just gone off the point. I can remember my dad being naked in front of my sister and I until we were about 10. It was never really an issue. How else do children learn? I'd rather they asked me and my Oh about it then their friends on the playground. The only time my OH turns away from Abby is when he is "greeting the new morning" if you get my drift. :roll: As he looks after her on Fridays and Sat morning Abby has to go to the bathroom with him anyway. He won't pee in front of me but has no issues in front of Abby - is that weird? She did try to grab it once but that's just curiousity and luckily he moved away just in time - my friend has his pulled nicely by his son a month or so back. He spent the next 5 mins curled up on the bathroom floor with his wife in hysterics. :lol:

And as Naomi says I change in the mother and baby room at the gym after swimming in front of other people's children every week and these include boys up to 8 years old. Abby has occasionally been into the men's changing rooms with my OH so I suppose she's seen other men's penises as well.

H xx
  • i have no probs getting naked with brooke, if i didnt take her in the bath/shower with me then i'd never get a bath/shower lol!!

she likes 2 poke daddys willy when she's in the bath with him so i think he's starting 2 get a bit fed up of baths with her n the point that comes when she's lulled him into a false sense of security then goes "owwwww" at the top of her voice n gives it a good poke b4 he can move!! ha ha ha ha i think its hilarious though!!

she likes 2 poke my boobs 2 n says "boobies" n "bum" quite a lot (slightly off topic but i had 2 leave the room the other day when we were in the dr's waiting room n she heard a girl say "i had an injection in my bum" n sat in her pram shouting "BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM" n refused 2 stop, i couldnt stop laughing lol)

amyway, i am quite happy to be naked, pee etc infront of her but i hate bein naked infront of my OH so i dont think ur OH is weird blondefriend lol.

I think once she gets 2 puberty then i'll prob stop gettin naked infront of her but if i still feel comfortable with it n she's not bothered then i may just continue 2 be liberated n naked round her!!

xxx