Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

For those who take their boddlers swimming

I have recently started up with taking SKye swimming again, we go to a waterbabies class where we sing, hold the babies while we swim about with them etc. But Skye doesn't appreciate being held all the time, she wants to do her own thing :roll: as usual!!

I want to get some sort of buoyancy aid so I don't spend the whole time supporting her. So I'm after ideas I suppose? I used a ring with a seat within it today, she sits up in that okay but it's quite upright and probably aimed at smaller babies than boddlers. WHat else do you use?

I am considering arm bands but have seen waist band aids too, and would like your experiences of them if poss before I decide what to buy!

Thanks lovely BIDdies! x

Replies

• We have the exact same problem with Isaac. We used to go swimming every week as a baby and he loved it. Now when we take him he loves being in the shallow bit but then tries to run out of the pool! :roll: He HATES being held. If he had his way he'd just run around the outside of the pool.

We have arm bands but he doesn't really like them. There is a helpful post in toddler forum about this right now and a float suit or float jacket was recommended! Apparently you take the individual floats out as they get more confident in the water until eventually they're swimming with no floats! I bought a float jacket off ebay this morn so I'll let you know how we go! x
  • We have done waterbabies classess for over a year now and issy swims on top of the water on one of those woddle things x
  • There are little jackets that you can get. Apparently the best are ones with removable floats as you want to keep the floats at the front rather than the back. that way the floats get them onto their backs rather than their fronts (which encourages the head into the water).
    The noodles are supposed to be pretty good too.
  • Noodles??!! Now you're making me hungry!!!

I'm intrigued...off to google them!
  • I've got the swim suit and arm bands. We preferred the idea of the swimsuit as it gives Abby free arms for learning to swim properly but the smallest size is still too big for my little dot. I bought her one for her birthday but still no luck. :\(

Anyway she is now loving the armbands.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs512.snc3/26876_1259914653654_1103293360_30630567_3847956_n.jpg

Sorry about the blurring but my camera misted up.

She also uses a noodle in her toddler classes and is starting to get the hang of it but she loves the freedom of climbing out and jumping in and swimming after me without me needing to be there immediately in case she falls off.

H xx

PS - Iz, are you around over the next couple of weeks? Do you fancy meeting up for a swim then you can try all my bits and bobs?
  • Sorry - my stupid picture has now meant that the adverts cover Iz's original post so I've copied it here:

I have recently started up with taking SKye swimming again, we go to a waterbabies class where we sing, hold the babies while we swim about with them etc. But Skye doesn't appreciate being held all the time, she wants to do her own thing as usual!!

I want to get some sort of buoyancy aid so I don't spend the whole time supporting her. So I'm after ideas I suppose? I used a ring with a seat within it today, she sits up in that okay but it's quite upright and probably aimed at smaller babies than boddlers. WHat else do you use?

I am considering arm bands but have seen waist band aids too, and would like your experiences of them if poss before I decide what to buy!

Thanks lovely BIDdies! x
  • Thanks so much to BF for taking the time to bring all Abby's swim aids along for Skye to try out last week. :\)

Much appreciated, and we have now purchased a Konfidence swim vest with removable floats for this week's Waterbabies class.

I think that she's less likely to try and wriggle out of this than arm bands too! And at least if she heads for the pool and leaps in after the boys or a ball I know she'll float!! :lol: (BF knows exactly what I mean LOL!!!)

Iz & Skye x