Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I have a wee confession to make...

I am busy taking notes from 'The Contented Baby with Toddler Book' by my nemesis!!!

I am not sure how I got here but I must have had some sort of attitude seachange!

I was just getting really stressed about how I will cope with two and I looked up at library for books on toddlers and babies and GF was only one they had so I thought I'd give it a whirl (it seemed kinda naughty given my previously held beliefs on the subject so was quite exciting!!)

I have really found it quite useful and am making some notes for routines for when baby no 2 comes lol. I think the bit I am finding most useful relates to breastfeeding and having a routine for that because I was very much not successful BF Juliet and looking at the suggestions, they do seem really useful and sensible. I seriously thought it was going to be hardcore but I really don't think it is very different from Baby Whisperer at all; if anything I find it more concrete and easier to understand the whys and wherefores.

I just thought I'd share my dirty secret lol!

Only ten weeks to go and am a gigantic whale but otherwise feeling fine. I am going to have to shift midwives soon though as hubby has two second interviews today and one offer and all are in the capital, Wellington, so looks like unexpectedly we will be moving there and quite soon. Pain about NZ system though is that you have your own nominated Midwife and they are not attached to GP surgeries. People book them well in advance (like as soon as they find out they are preg) so it could be very difficult to find one at this late stage YIKES! If need be, I have to contact the hospital though so maybe they will give me a hospital based one, who will no doubt be overworked and overstretched! Never simple eh!! The system is great and my MW I have here in Blenheim is awesome but I will be leaving her very soon, I should think.

Will be awesome though to settle in somewhere and before baby arrives, albeit close to that time! The jobs OH has that are likely to be forthcoming (he already has one offer and potentially 2 pending) are fantastic jobs and really good salary but not as close to my parents as we'd hoped. However, it will be exciting to both make a start together somewhere new for us both and also when I get ready to go back to work, there are fantastic opportunities for me in Wellington, much moreso than CHCH and Blenheim. Also, my bro and sis both live in Wellington and my best friend/bridesmaid. None, however have children, so I will need to get making some mummy friends and fast!

Juliet is just great. Babbling in wee sentences constantly and so entertaining. Still quite demanding but improving. She is eating quite well and her concentration span seems to be slowly increasing. She is giving so much back and we just adore her so much.

Love to everyone, toddlers and bumps xxx

Replies

• Great update. Fab news on the job front for OH.

Glad your finding Gina useful at least as a starting point. Can't believe you've only got 10 weeks to go - but there, I can't believe how long it is since you left the UK.
    Good luck with the move.
    xx
  • I've been asking all my friends and family that I have in wellington if they know any mw's, will let you know if I get any replies! My brother is getting set to move from nelson to wellington too, so if you ever need a babysitter... hehe he loves kids and has worked with them loads is prob going to do a teaching degree next year. (I'm so proud) :P
    Unfortunately I dont know anyone there with kids either image
    Hope the move goes well and cant believe it wont be long til you have another little silver fern or all black xx
  • Hehehe this gave me a good giggle! What or whoever it is, no shame in it if it works!

More updates when you have time please!
  • Well I've got a lovely midwife in Wellington already so dead chuffed (thx jess for thinking of me). Spoke to matpro who are some organisation who can help you if you're struggling & they said even though there's a mw shortage there, because I'm so very late on, there are women with diabetes / breech babies who get referred over to consultant at late stages so these gaps come up about now so yay! Just talking to her on phone, she is very experienced and sounds so sensible so I like!!

Xxx
  • Yay. Glad you've managed to get something sorted so easily.
  • yay great news and as ptb says what ever works and gets you through
  • Hi Lizzie...

Nice to hear an update...will be curious to see how you get on. I read the books but on reflection they didn't help but if it works great!

I remember your struggles with BF as i had the same with lily. We're thinking of trying for number 2 after xmas and i really want to BF but all i can remember was how hard it was with her...let alone with another running around!

Glad all is great with Juliet...it's amazing how quick they grow and change.

• Hi Lizzie...

Nice to hear an update...will be curious to see how you get on. I read the books but on reflection they didn't help but if it works great!

I remember your struggles with BF as i had the same with lily. We're thinking of trying for number 2 after xmas and i really want to BF but all i can remember was how hard it was with her...let alone with another running around!

Glad all is great with Juliet...it's amazing how quick they grow and change.

• hey lizzie, great to hear all your news and so happy to hear everything is going so well. is hamilton anywhere near wellington? (you can tell i've never been to nz!) as i have a friend who taught in japan with me and then lived in london for a bit before returning home that has just had a baby (he's 3 months now) and she's lovely, and you seem it too, so if you are near each other you should totally hook up as mummy friends! prob opposite ends of the country, or on different islands though!!! ha ha ha x