Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

After reading PTB's posts on the other thread I thought I would start a new post. For those of you who want more/are pregnant what would you like the next one to be (if you're bothered) and for those who have more than one or completed their families was that what you hoped for? Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to say "No, I hate having 2 boys, I wish I'd had a girl" but would you think of having another in order to try for a girl etc.

Anyway I always wanted a girl. I didn't want to admit it during my first pregnancy in case Abby was a boy and I was disappointed. However I also knew that my OH wanted a boy. I think a lot of men want a boy because they're scared of dealing with a girl. Abby is such a rough&tumble tomboy that I don't think he's bothered anymore. If Abby was a girly girl I might want a boy to even it out a bit but as it is neither of us mind at all what this one might be.

H xx

Replies

• Sorry PTB and PL - not trying to stir up an argument just thought it was an interesting discussion point.
  • Hmmm, well we found out Al was a boy at the 20 week scan and I had a feeling he was a boy so it wasn't a big surprise. Next time round I always thought that I would want a girl so that I could experience life with one of each but now I really don't think I would mind either way. We've decided that second time round we'd like to have a surprise too which I'm really looking forward to (just got to get pregnant now!)

Em x
  • Isaac was a suprise baby but I always thought he would be a boy all along. I was sooo pleased he was as although I would have been happy with either a boy or a girl, I always had a stronger desire for a little boy! I especially wanted my first baby to be a boy. I just love the energy and straightforwardness of boys that I saw so much of as a primary teacher. My DH also wanted a boy more as he said he knows what to do with boys! :lol:

Next time I honestly would be happy to have either sex, no strong preference at all. I can see myself having another boy and I would love for Isaac to have a boy close to him in age in the family. I'm a little nervous of having a girl as I am not so used to them image I'm comfortable with boys! The whole pink princess little girl thing really isn't me which probably means that if I had a little girl she would be like this to rebel against mummy! :lol: Also as a teacher, I saw so many of the friendship difficulties that little girls have and I think in that respect I would find it a bit tougher with a girl.

On the other hand I would love to have a daughter as my mum and I are very close and great friends. I would love to have that with a daughter of my own!

As I have a boy now, i'm totally happy whatever we have next time. I would like three children and if I could chose the sex of each now I would probably say a girl and another boy, in any order. But I will love all my children the same and see them for the wonderful little individuals they are, rather than by their gender. I just feel lucky to have had a perfect little baby and any other additions to our family will make us even more blessed. xx

[Modified by: bellah on April 11, 2010 08:33 PM]

• Bellah - that's an interesting point about being a teacher. As a secondary school teacher I definitely see parents struggling much more with trying to get their sons to work/revise in comparison with their daughters. Maybe that's one of the reasons I wanted a girl. xx
  • I'm sure no one thinks you're stirring blondefriend, don't worry! :\)

I did want Lily to have a sister, if not this time then next. Now the girls have each other, going to put my neck out and say it would be nice to know what it's like to have a son too.

HOWEVER, now I know from experience what it is to love more than one baby, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that when push comes to shove (haha) there will be no question of disappointment if I end up with a trio of little ladies image
  • Keep going and you can get a football team! image
  • im not bothered either way. im not pg but i just cant see myself with a boy, i think next bump will be a pink one too. dh said that he cant see us with a boy either.

i was convinced for the whole of my first pregnancy (well all 7 months of it) that she was a girl so was not surprised when mw showed me she was a girl.

saying that though, i wouldnt mind at all if i had a boy next time aslong as everything was ok.

• I was talking about this with my cousin yesterday as she is one of 3 girls and she thinks that people usually want what they grew up with (dont think i agree 100%) :P
    but in saying that i had a younger brother and loved having a brother growing up but as i never had a sister i cant say that i wouldnt have loved to have one aswell!
    We really didnt mind what we had first time around but i always had a feeling i was having a boy, I would really love a little girl this time, not that i wouldnt love a little boy but i have a really close relationship with my mum and i cant imagine not having a daughter when shes grown up and has kids etc cos i kind of feel like as a mother in law i wouldnt get to be as close to my grandkids (which again i know is not true but anyway)
    I have been saying lately that if we did have another boy i would feel like having a 3rd to try for a girl but if we had a girl i prob wouldnt (although that all depends on how the 2nd birth goes as if it was as bad as last time i prob wouldnt have a 3rd either way!)
    I am inspired by ptb's lovely 2nd birth story tho and can only hope i dont have to have another c-section.
  • Meant to add but got distracted that oh really wants one of each aswell, he grew up with an older brother and a younger sister and whilst his brother hada bit of a falling out with the family my oh and his sister are very close now and we spend a lot of time together as families but it does help that his sister married his best friend! They have 2 girls who are now 11 & 14 and they are really enjoying being around a little boy growing up too,my sil finds it very amusing changing a little boys nappy after only having girls!
  • I really wanted a boy, the reason being that SIL had had a girl the year previously and so many other friends had girls too, I really wanted a boy so less comparisons were made with him to his cousin or friends. I was sooo chuffed when we were told it was a boy as I thought I wouldn't be lucky enough to have what I really desired.

In a traditional way I'd love a girl for our 2nd (when we get round to having no 2) as I'd love the chance to do the mother/daughter thing, go shopping when she's older, help her with hair and make up, help her buy a wedding dress (if she'll let me).
    But if we do have a 2nd boy, then that would suit me fine as C is so lovely I could happily cope with a 2nd like him, and I think they'd have good fun together.

Really don't think we'll have 3, but if we do, then 2 boys and a girl would be my ideal. image

Interesting thought that you want what you grow up with. I didn't have any siblings so don't know how that comes into the equation, yet if I lived in a perfect world I would have 3 children in the end.
  • Good dicussion point image
    Well im so lucky that i have the 2 girls because they have a sister to spend time with and what not!
    I wouldnt mind a little boy next time but a girl would also be fine i just dont want Sam to feel outnumbered by all things pink! Ella and Ruby both like pink and while Ruby is rough and tumble shes still girly too!
    It would be nice to have a mixture but children are such a blessing that i would never be dissapointed lets just hope we get BFP this month image
    xxxxx
  • this is a very interesting discussion point and i hav talked about this a lot with friends!
    when i read your reaction ptb, it was one that i have had many, many times when people have said to me things like "so are you going to keep trying for a boy?" or similarly "were you disappointed when you found out ruby was a girl?" seriously people have asked me those questions!!!
    i dont know why on earth people assume for some reason i would be disappointed to have 2 girls?! Even someone in our own family made a snide comment about how only a proper man can produce one of each sex!! grrrrrrr. In actual fact i was over the moon when i found out ruby was a girl even though i wouldnt have minded either way, i immediately had all the lovely sisterly thoughts (cos i have a sister too) and i'm pleased with what i've got. If i had another and it was a boy that would be great but so would three girls be great too. Yes teenage girls can be a nightmare, but i was one and i'm sure i'll be able to cope when they're running rings around me!
    I love my girls exact;y the same and i was worried about that whilst pg with ruby too, but not cos she was a girl, just cos i didnt know what to expect, but its natural and not gender specific.
    Other people's opinions still vex me 16 months on and i see you girls are going through the same thing eh!
    xxx
  • Can say 100% I do not care what baby no 2 is (just get it out!!!!) Na, I really don't have a preference and won't be having any more.

Now, I don't know how much of that has to do with already having a little girl. If I had've had a boy first up, I can imagine I would be pretty hoping for a girl...........so am perhaps not as open-minded as I think lol!
  • Well I grew up with one sister (5 year gap) and we bickered all the time! So I think it has worked the opposite way with me :lol: In that I wanted a boy more than a girl, because of what i'm used too. We're still not that close now, not for want of my trying though. :cry: I would have loved to experience having a brother as well xx
  • I really thought maddox was going to be a girl, like kar1234 I couldn't ever see me with a boy, i'm the girliest girl ever, even my other half isn't the most manly of men! So we assumed, Didnt even think bout it just thought oh it's going to be a girl, mum had 3 girls and the whole family is girls who had girls... Then we found out he had a widgey : ) I was in shock for weeks, then the excitement and unknown! then he was born and it was the most amazing unexpected love ever, and Iif I could go back in time if someone said if u cud have a girl wud you and I would never change him for the world, it's for me personally love for him I never thought I'd feel, I know I would for a girl too so I know next time yes I want a girl just to have one of each but at least I mo iwouldnt be unhappy if it was a boy cos of the experience I went thru before.with wat bellah was saying I'm one of 3 sisters and my mum was particularly over the moon he was a boy, plus phil lost his dad same year so I was so pleased he could have a mini him : )
    I'm the girliest girl and nearly everyday people make a comment ooh u shud have a girl, bet u want a girl etc well i love having wat people don't expect me to have image even if it did take me a while to get used to his little willy : ) being used to baby sister and cousins! He's my best mate in the world so I no either way next one if he's a boy il love him just the same : )xx
  • I would like a couple of both please image lol
    I always wanted a little girl so I was delighted when found out at the 20 week scan that was going to happen. Dude often panics at the thought of having a house full of women but that's because he only has brothers I think. Personally I think I would prefer a girl next time and I know it doesn't make sense and I can't quite articulate it, but I'll already be worrying the whole pregnancy and think because I lost a boy I would be more relaxed if having a girl as would make it more definately a different pregnancy. I would love Lorelei to have a sister close in age too. But would like a son at some stage too though I think it would be harder to deal with as PL says- the whole unknown lol