Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08

Skye's all signed up for preschool after Easter 2011! :o

Hey my lovely BIDdies!

In between visiting hubby in hospital and my own UVB therapy treatments I managed to squeeze in a visit to the preschools in my area last week!

All duly vetted and madam is now signed up to go from age 2 1/2 after easter next year image

I think I will just go for one morning a week for the first term, and then when she goes back in September 2011 go for 2 mornings per week? (She won't be funded until Jan 2012 so can only afford so much)! Anybody have any thoughts on this? The lady in charge hinted that it might be better to send her for 2 mornings from the start as it may be too long between sessions otherwise. I guess it might be like starting all over again if a week elapses?? I'm part with her reasoning and part thinking that Skye will be so young that it may all be too much, no idea!

Tbh it was more of a play group environment than a full on pre school, which is fine by me with Skye being only 2 1/2 to start with. I think it will be good for her stimulation-wise, and great for her social skills mixing with children from age 2 1/2 to nearly 5, wow! It will also be lovely for Mummy to have some free time! ;\) Mmm...maybe 2 mornings per week then!! :lol:

Is anybody else close to signing up their boddlers yet?

Iz & Skye x

Replies

• Issy has been in nursery since i went back to work in sept for three days a week, now im on mat leave ive reduced it down to one day a week, when i go back in sept 2011 she will be in the preschool room not sure if im going back full time or part time yet, like you issy wont be funded until after christmas, she will prob go 3 days, not sure yet, shes only just moved out of baby room its so scary thinking of them in the preschool room isnt it? x
  • Oh wow all signed up to pre-school already! It seems like so far off but i'm sure the time will come round scarily quickly!

We haven't yet as we are trying to move at the moment. We will be moving to another area with a few very good schools so will definitely want to sign Isaac up then for pre-school. I'm a bit worried we might not get him into to a good pre-school if we don't get him on the list which could be a while off no signs of house selling at the mo. Anyone have any idea how late you can leave it? Eeek. Really would like him to go to pre-school of choice and then hopefully onto the school too. Hmm wonder if you have to live in the area before putting them down for pre-school.

We'd like to start Isaac earlier than 3 as well between 2 - 2 1/2 years for a morning or two mornings. Like you I'm not sure which to go for on the one hand want to break him in gently as he'll still be young but then he may really enjoy it and get a lot out of it so perhaps two is better to start with. Decisions, decisions!

The idea of free time does sound great though!! :lol: Well done you for sorting it all out in the midst of all the other stuff you've got going on. Hope hubby is one the mend and it's not too stressful? xx
  • DD is signed up too to start jan 2012. she will start in the jan after she is 3 in a nursey class that is in the same primary school that she will attend until she is 11. so will be nice for her to have the continuity of being in the same place without having to move at any point.

they also do a toddler thursday where you take them as soon as they are 3 but stay with them for the morning then gradually phase yourself out. which is lovely for transition.

• I'd love to think that Skye will go on to our local school too Karen, but it's so ridiculously over subscribed that it's very unlikely :\( Although we're well within catchment they had over 150 kids for 60 places for 3 out of the last 4 years, and have used the rule of bringing the catchment area in to get their figures, and we'd be .22 miles outside, grr! :\(

I have to attend with Skye for her first session at pre school, and then about another 3 after that for shorter periods of time until I eventually leave her at dropping off time, scary! Much as I am looking forward to a bit of me time I know I will shed some tears when it comes to it :cry:

Bellah - we have 4 pre schools in our village, and some of them have to signed up to at birth to get a place! image The Montessori one for instance! My first choice would only take Skye Jan 2012, the term after she's 3, but I'm planning on taking on some more hours at work before this, so needed one that would take her at 2 1/2 - I was lucky to get a place at short notice due to people moving I believe. Unsure if you'll be able to sign up to one that's not in your area though?

Think I've decided on 2 mornings now probably, it'll be good for her! ;\) x
  • The normal rules for school based nurseries are that you cannot sign them up until their 2nd birthday, once they have a list they take a central point in the nursery and measure the distrance from the nursery to your front door, the closer you live to the school nursery the better chance you have at getting your child in! School nurseries which are over subscribed also only run part time, mornings, afternoons or 2 1/2 days, and the days are set by the nursery in most cases, which is why im keeping issy is private pre school, its much better than my school nursery! And being in the school nursery does not automatically get you a place in the reception class, you have to apply all over again! x
  • Oh that helps Jodylouise! Hmmm, feel like I should know this as a primary school teacher! image My excuse I only deal with the older ones!
  • I'm very lucky - there is only one pre-school and one primary school in our village, both of which have excellent Ofsteds, and both of which Lily is almost certain to get a place at. The pre-school even runs a Mother & Toddler group one morning a week which we already go to, so Lily will already know the staff and some of the kids when she starts.

With a bit of luck she will be starting Jan 2012. I hope that her days will coincide with the two days I work. Although I would hope to be ttc or pregnant with no3 by then, so who knows!
  • Sorry Iz, really rude of me - how's your hubby and how are you?
  • gosh iz can't believe you've managed to fit this in when you must be up the wall right now! well done!

i've started thinking about it, but not done anything about it. i think i'd like theo to start sept 2011, so a few months before his 3rd birthday, as its kind of a natural starting point. and then when he's all settled, so around his 3rd birthday, i think i'll be ready to start trying for number 2. that way if the same happens again (which obviously fingers crossed it wont!) he would be settled in a pre-school making it slightly easier.

hmm so i should probably start looking soonish! maybe this sept so it's a year before? time is going so quickly! but like you bellah we are think about moving as our house is only little and 2 bedrooms, so we are thinking about moving by next summer, so settle in before ttc no 2 - but then we LOVE our house and its in a gorgeous area where we could not afford a 3 bed house with a garden. it's a real head v heart decision - house we love in lovely area or space we need in an ok house in a nice area??? we just can't decide!

well at least we've got a few months til his 2nd birthday to have a good think about it!

k x

p.s. iz - i think you may have made the right decision re 2 days. obviously i know v little about nurseries and that as theo is not in one yet, but i was talking to my cousin who is a nursery nurse about it and she also recommended that when theo does start i should put him in twice a week, as she said there is a marked difference in the time it takes the baby to settle when they are only in once a week, like there's such a long gap between them going that at first every time they go its like they've forgotten about it and it's their 1st time again. just her opinion but thought it was interesting that you had recieved the same advise. k x
  • i have filled all the forms in with the school who are happy to take her as we are well within catchment. its over subscribed so i want to at least register our interest with them.