Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

girls v boys

Now i just wanted to hear what others' opinions are on the whole boy v girl thing. i have one of each joseph is 3 (last week) and Roxie is 16 months. and wow are they different!
Joseph is polite and loving and says lovely things. he is not boisterous and doesnt generally have tantrums. he is a quiet boy who likes DVDs and playing with his Ben 10 action figures/cars. now my daughter is the exact opposite. she a week prior to her 1st birthday and can now outrun Joseph easily. She hits him with toys on the head and makes him cry. her first word was MINE! and NO! she has the most horrendous tantrums if she cant get her way. she loves shoes and clothes. she can say ALOT of words and communicates really well what she wants. she is so clever yet a monster! but soooo cute.

she doesnt do cuddles really. esp for her dad!

has anyone else seen a difference between boys and girls?
just out of interest!
Hayley

Replies

• hiya

I don't have one of each, just James who is 16 months old. He is however a typical boy!
    He is full on from 7am to 7pm every day except for when eating and having a 1hr nap!
    He is throwing things, running around, plays constantly, has started to appreciate books and will often sit with you but does fidget when sitting.
    He like to jump on you, hit things, makes a lot of noise and loves playing with stones int he garden.

When I go to stay n play groups, there is such a difference between him and the girls. They play fairly nicely, can sit for longer (during story and song time) and will like to interact with their mums. And they talk more!

James loves building megabloks towers with his dad and loves to knock them down. He still isn't talking, but we have a varied selection of animal noises these days. I have spoke ot other mums and the boys in general seem to be a bit behind on talking but ahead in terms of walking, eating and their motor skills seem to be a bit more advanced.

So, yes, I think there is a big difference between boys and girls.

Sharon
    xxx
  • Emma - I really hope you're wrong! If the first is the quiet, gentle one then I am really in trouble. image

Abby seems to have both typical boy and girl characteristics:

Girl
    - talks all the time and has quite a wide vocabulary :\)
    - has major temper tantrums
    - loves animals (most of the time)
    - not really cuddly
    - likes copying me and loves cooking with me in the kitchen
    - wants to be top dog :roll:

Boy
    - is at her absolute happiest in the garden playing with mud
    - collects stones, snails, sticks etc
    - runs and runs and runs
    - climbs anything that stays still long enough and if she falls off just tries again
    - will eat absolutely anything!!
    - won't settle and play with anything for more than 2 mins at a time

Of course my typical characteristics are based completely on my own stereotypes of toddlers and might not be true.

H xx
  • Lily:

- is very gentle.
    - throws short-lived strops regularly but nothing I'd call a tantrum
    - is incredibly cuddly
    - loves books and little dolls
    - will amuse herself with a toy for ages
    - prefers to play by herself than with other babies
    - talks a lot and has an increasingly wide vocabulary
    - doesn't hit
    - doesn't run (and isn't really physical in any way)
    - doesn't shout or scream
    - looks to me for approval before and whilst doing most things
    - sits up nice and straight on the mat sucking her thumb whilst watching ITNG before bed every evening (not sure why that's relevant but I find it so cute :\) )

She's DEFINITELY a little girl!

• hmm, well i dont know if it's a boy/girl thing or a 1st born/2nd born thing! however, like emma said Milly is quiet, gentle, plays well on her own, likes reading and learning etc etc. Ruby, is a brute! she screams, throws toys/food has tantrums when i say "no" or try to clean her up. She beats milly up, she climbs onto and falls off everything, runs so that she falls over a lot, growls, breaks and rips most things....and so on! i'm bloomin dreadin terrible twos with this one!!!
    but she is funny and i think she's smart and crafty!
    hey ho, would be boring if they were both the same..........wouldnt it???!!!
  • Isaac is definitely a boy's boy!

-favourite thing is walking and running around outside exploring everything in a whirlwind
    -would much rather be 'doing' than sitting or communicating
    -climbs on absolutely everything
    -eats very messily shoving everything in, not careful about things at all unlike some of his girl friends
    -as soon as we arrive somewhere he runs off without so much as a backward glance to me!
    -loves taking things apart, throwing things and destroying them!
    -Has some words but not loads, and loves grunting and shouting
    -Favourite toys are trains and cars, or anything where he can engage in lots of physical activity
    -much too busy to sit and cuddle mummy :cry: but he is getting a bit more cuddly now! image
    -doesn't want to sit in his trike or pushchair wants to push it himself and be in the driving seat :roll:
    -loves playing in the mud and always makes straight for it when out and about
    -at messy play always ends up 100 times messier than any of his girl friends
    -never sits still and can't do anything for more than a nano second!

Oh I got a bit carried away there! :lol:

He does LOVE books though and sits with me and will look at a book for a good while. He's got this off me though as have really encouraged him to enjoy books.

Sounds like second babies can be more of a handful! Oh dear image

[Modified by: bellah on May 06, 2010 11:42 AM]

• Im thinking its forst born second born tbf!
    Even though there is only minutes between the girls and they are identical (YEAH RIGHT) i have never known two different children!
    They are getting on well together now which is good as they went through a phase of not liking the other being their and fighting which i did not appreciate!
    Ruby is a boy she really should have been a boy im sure of it lol....
    BOY STUFF:-
    Loves to be dirty and play in the mud.
    Can not walk only run it would seem
    climbs on EVERYTHING and is not bothered about falling off
    Is not bothered if told off
    Likes her cuddles when she is tired
    is very lazy at everything except running IE: still likes to be fed and nursed to sleep and have her coat and shoes brought to her and put on!
    Keeps picking up spiders and moths both of which im terrified of and it kills me taking them off her ESPECIALLY spiders but try my best as dont want her to be scared of them (chance t be a fine thing lol)
    Plays more with balls and in the cars and things and does not keep concentration on one toy for more than 2 mins lol!
    She REFUSES point blank to TIDY up
    Says only the words to let you know what she wants
    Prefers wearing jeans and pants to dresses and skirts and pulls the bows out her hair faster than i can get them in lol.

Ella is my girly girl
    GIRL STUFF:
    loves her kisses and cuddles
    toddles around quite happily but rarely runs unless playing outside
    has an extensive vocabulary and can almost put a sentence together image
    loves reading her books and being read too
    constantly looks to me for reassurance when doing stuff
    Plays with her dolls all the time
    loves baking in the kitchen with me (Ruby prefers to eat the choccy or smear it wround the kitchen)
    Is getting indeoendant as in fetching her shoes and coat
    will sit happily in her pushchair when we go out
    Never climbs on anything ever
    cries if she so mutch as scratches herself
    if i tell her off she cries and gets in a huff with herself
    would wear dresses and frills 24/7 if i let her lol
    loves dressing up
    idolises Ruby but doesnt copy her strangely but ruby sometimes doesnt give her the time of day but she is quite happy playing on her own
    she is shy around strangers where as Ruby will say hi to any one such a role reversal and only lately as Ruby used to be a mummy's girl and ella would happily be passed around lol!

Gone on more than i meant too there lol but they are different but getr on well and are both loving and delightful....i hope Ruby doesnt get the terrible twos too bad she can throw a tantrum now lol ella only goes in little huffs but is rarely angry lol! I love them both to bits and as has been sed life would be boring if they were exactly the same.....im only wondering which of the girls if any no.3 will take after =D xxx
  • boys become more physical around 4 years old when they have a surge of testosterone.
  • good post : ) good to hear what others boys and girls do!

maddox is a proper little boy when it comes to playing and walking/crawling round, sometimes likes to throw not maliciously, and likes musical instruements especially banging his drum!! until hes around other boys i see a magor difference?? hes not rough and tumble at all and comes to me to snuggle when theres any sign of rough play, happily sits for hours amusing himself with toys, hes a very fussy eater doesnt like hot food at the mo! he doesnt talk much but communicates very well, he also prefers to play with girls??
    my mate has an older boy and younger girl whos just turned 1 who is such a tomboy and throws herself everywhere! i really do think its down to the individual child (plus siblings etc) as i know alot of quiet/ loud boys and tomboy/girly girls! lovely to see such different little people : )
  • DD is such a girl in some respects but a tomboy in others.

girlie

- loves shoes, clothes and shopping
    - talks all the time, has lots of words and can put 3 words together in sentences
    - loves to talk on the phone
    -loves kissing the boys, even pins her cousin against the wall to kiss him despite him not wanting to be kissed
    - likes to clean
    - is a complete sucker for jewellery and sparlkles
    - will sit happily to have her hair brushed and put into bobbles
    quite clingy when somewhere new for about 5 mins then is off but will keep coming back to check i am ok
    - will sit with a book for a good while
    - loves to rearrange the cupboards
    - bosses her cousins around

tomboy

- loves to runaround all day
    - runs so much she falls over
    - loves to play with cars but doesnt bother with dolls
    - loves a good frolick in a field
    - eats almost everything and anything
    - likes to find stones in the garden
    - is a little monkey, climbing on everything