Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08

new job maybe

just sounding out a possible new job i am thinking of applying for. at the moment i am hating my school, well more precisely some of the people i am having to work for. with all the hassle over my days and the constant feeling of being got at, put down and being forced out after going part time by my head of dept who has 2 children of her own i have decided that i need a new job. i know after having dd my priorities have changed but im sure school was not like this before i left for maternity leave.

any hoo, found this job advertised last night and just looking for some outside opinions on it as even though it is still in education it is a very different position to what i am used to.

it is part time job working 0.5 on my current salary point plus a SEN point or two which would mean a drop in salary of about ??2000 but as it would be about 5 mins i would probably save that much in petrol anyway so would work out about the same. it would also give me the opportunity to use my psychology degree.

it is working for CAMHS (child and adolescant mental health services) delivering the national curriculum for Key stage 3 and 4 (11-16) in EOTAS (education other than at school). i would be teaching children and young people who are in patients at the phychiatic ward in the local hospital. there is currently 14 in patients between the ages or 11 and 18.

i dont want to talk about it with my 'real' work friends/teachers so just wondering what you all thought about it especially those of you in education.

Replies

• It sounds like it could be both a very rewarding and yet heart-breaking job. I expect that a lot of the students you will be working with will have depression and eating disorders. Some you will be able to help and some you will see drop further and further despite everything that you try to do for them. Personally I would have a lot of problems trying to separate work from home and would hate to bring back some of the issues. However that's also why I would make an awful nurse.
    What would you be teaching? Sorry, I can't remember what your speciality is. I enjoy teaching my subject in itself and is the main reason why I only want to work in the grammar school system (I really enjoy having a lot of 6th form). That's another reason why I wouldn't want this kind of job.

However those are reasons why I wouldn't take the job. It might be perfect for you. You would be able to work one-on-one with students, trying to install a love of your subject - which teacher doesn't want to do that? Although most of the time it will just be getting some info into children with problems well above your subject, sometimes you will be able to turn a young life around - that joy and satisfaction will be payment in itself.

I would go and have a visit and talk to the people who work there already. It will look good in interview if you have done your homework if you do decide to go for it and if you don't then you haven't lost anything.

Good luck,
    H xx
  • Sounds like a lovely opportunity if you can handle what's likely to be a tough environment as there will be a lot of different schools they will come from before even considering their own problems.

Good luck if you do decide to go for it. Xxx
  • thanks. my subject is history but over the last 7 years i have taught history, goegraphy, RS, maths, PSE, Key Skills, Psychology so have taught most things over the years. the job involves delivering the curriculum so i would be teaching a range of subjects.

my surrent school has an awful lot of students who are working with CAMHS anyway and many many more are on our special needs register for EBD. there are mamny more that should really be working with CAMHS but have not been officially identified as needing support even though we 'know' that they do. to put it in persective one of my toughest classes last year was a year 8 class of 35 with 1 who was aspergers and 31 of them were on the SEN register for EBD with 10 of them being statemented