Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08

Slightly O/T - did anyone take meds for morning sickness?

Saw MW yesterday and like me, she was concerned about my sickness. I booked in to see doc today and she said they can give me some anti-nausea meds that are safe in preg. Has anyone taken these in preg before? Any views?

I really feel at a low ebb. I can't function properly and it is affecting my care of Ju, my work, my relationship and the house! I am so on edge and irritable and so miserable and so sick-feeling. I have thrown up but it's constant nausea and (sorry tmi) repeated retching to the point where I worried I might drive off the road (and had ju in the car) as thought was going to throw up whilst driving...didn't but it's hard to predict when it will go to full blown vomiting or just be this horrid repeated retching.

Interestingly, the MW asked if we had twins in the family (not really, a few sets on OH's dad's side but not really close). Me and OH did freak a little but think that it's just v bad preg sickness, there won't be two (pray no!!!!).

Am 8 weeks and scan is booked for May 11.
xxx

Replies

• I have a huge amount of sympathy. I really struggled during the first 14 weeks - it was a lot worse this time. :\( I thought I had got the sickness bug again on a couple of occasions because it was so bad I was vomiting, struggling back to bed for an hours sleep and then vomiting again. I did once have to stop the car to vomit and the retching was terrible. I was getting really annoyed because it was always worse on Friday evenings and Staurdays and then I was better for work again on Monday. I suddenly realised that it was exhaustion that was making it worse. Chasing a lively toddler around definitely does not help. My OH was also struggling with how ill I was and just couldn't understand why I wanted to go to bed at 7pm every night without dinner. I was missing our time and he was upset. Of course if he mentioned it I would just snap at him and get cross so it wasn't an easy time.

I do have twins in the family so was quite concerned but my mw said that it's often worse 2nd time round. :cry: However I did worry constantly until the scan and even asked the sonographer "are you sure there isn't another one hidden behind that one?". :roll:

The other issue (TMI - sorry) was that my pelvic floor weakened and the vomiting attacks caused problems there as well. I felt like a complete disgusting idiot - vomiting whilst Abby cried in the corner.

Anyway although it went on a bit longer than last time -15 weeks rather than 12 - it does now seem to be over and I can at last start to enjoy being pregnant.

I hope you feel better soon.
    H xx
  • You sound so similar to me, Helen. It's really affecting Gaz and me...amazing isn't it how fragile relationships can become!

Wondered if you knew anything about these meds at all? Don't mind if it's bad...I'd like to know! No doubt doc will give me the downlow but feeling bit all over the place at mo. need to get head straight. I keep thinking about the thilydamide (sp) scandal........
  • It is horrible seeing Juliet watching me intently, wondering why I am curled up in a foetal position and moaning all the while. I get her to come and do 'nice touching' on my belly so she can understand a bit that I am not 100%. Really struggling to lift her while I feel so weakened. Haven't run for close on 3 weeks as the thought of the motion makes me want to be sick itself although I did read your post on pg forum this morn and wondered if it might actually help (i've not been this inactive since Ju was a newborn and it makes me feel so BLAH on top of everything else!)

AGGHHHHH. I've said to Gaz no matter what happens in this preg, I can't go through this again. I feel mentally off the rails and physically abyssmal (sp) so a BAD combo.
  • Thank you for the info, Sarah. Any improvement would be amazing right now. Feeling slightly ok for past hour or two but this is about the second time in 3 weeks so it's getting all a bit much now as only 8 weeks :/

Thanks guys
  • Lizzie,
    i dont want to scare you but i was rediculous with TIREDNESS and sickness with the twins image
    Might just be bad preg but i wouldnt rule out twins they dont have to run in the fam either! Specially not ID but i guess you will fine out in may let us know though! They do say that second pregnancies are usually really diff and often worse than the first! I didnt take the tablets because i didnt really see anyone about being pregnant until i was about 6 month!
    (Didnt want to admit it haha)
    But im sure the doc will talk to you about it when you go hun!
    I hope you find a solution because theres nowt worse than feeling crap and having a lo to take care of aswell!
    xxx
  • Doc took urine sample & found raised level of ketones which meansmy body is beginning to break down fat not carbs for energy, I think (bf??)
    Given me cyclazine anti-sickness tabs.
    Hoping to start feeling bit better soon
    xxx

[Modified by: Lizzie77 on April 14, 2010 07:08 AM]

• Hope your feeling better soon. I had real bad sickness with Pip. It was morning noon and night and i was signed off work for 5 weeks from 8 weeks preg to 13 weeks preg when it completley vanished and never returned. I was given the tablets to although they didnt work for me and i was convinced they were making it worse. They then gave me this liquid stuff, i cannot for the life of me remember what it was but it was bloody gross. That seemed to help a bit.
    Good luck.x
  • So sorry to hear you're having such a rough ride this pg Lizzie : (
    Really hope the tablets go some way towards making you feel more normal very soon!

What do you do about the ketones issue? Eat more carbs??

• Gatecrashing but saw this on front page (and thought I'd sneak in quietly and see if PTB had put up more photos of Madeleine at the same time ;\) ).

I had horrendous sickness when I was pregnant and was put on cyclazine as well. It did make a big difference although it didn't go completely (sorry). I had ketones in my urine too, but yours can't have been too high as I was sent to hospital to be put on a drip when they saw my result. I have so much sympathy for you - it is the worst feeling ever and I can't imagine having to look after a LO whilst feeling so terrible. I'm sure you know all the usual suggestions so won't make them, and to be honest they didn't really work for me. The only thing if you can (although I'm sure you know this too) is to find any drink you can stomach (for me if was Orangina - definitely NOT water) and sip at it through a straw whenever you can. This will stop dehydration and therefore the ketones in your urine.

Good luck and hope it passes quickly xx
  • Thanks for the advice, Coco. Doc said they weren't raised to silly levels so I feel I did the right thing because I knew I wasn't able to function and I was at my wit's end but I hadn't got to a stage where I had to go on a drip thank god.

I don't mean that as though I am so amazing getting seen before I got HG, more that I am glad I didn't ignore my instinct and think I would be wasting their time just because I am not medically dehydrated and starved etc.

I have learnt my lesson from dd no 1's birth where I fought my instinct and didn't force the issue when I was in labour and they kept telling me over the phone it was nothing. At over 9cm dilated when they finally got me into hospital and my waters had never broken, I decided I would always push for support and medical assistance if I feel it is warranted because I know I wouldn't go waste a doctor's time over a few upset tums and a little bit of lightheadedness and nausea. As you know from your experience, this really is something else altogether and I do feel lucky not to have been at the graver end of the spectrum as I really do not know how those ladies diagnosed with HG have been able to do anything at all in their lives. Having a LO at 21 lb to carry around does not make life easier when you are so weakened either.

God, I sound like a proper moaner but tbh, I just feel so grateful someone listened to and helped me as I knew something was really not right with me. I must be really cynical about the NHS, me!
  • I am gatecrashing as well as I saw this pop up. I didn't take anything when I was having my son as despite telling the midwife at every appointment that I was being sich 5-6 times a day they just kept nodding and saying it would stop soon. At 20 weeks they were right.

My boss had HG when she was pregnant and got given meds and she was fine, although still occasionally sick.

Looking back on it I should have said something but I just thought they knew best... know better for next time. Although, if it is worse second time round maybe I might leave it at 1!
  • TBH I don't know much about the tablets Lizzie. There are so many different ones on the market. It's always a difficult taking drugs during pregnancy, especially those which have been on the market for such a short amount of time as the long-term effects haven't been assessed. However there will be none of the serious side-effects that were seen with thalidomide. Also if your sickness if causing changes in your metabolism than the benefits may very well overcome the unknown problems to the baby.

Ketones in your urine indicate that your body isn't getting enough carbs in order to meet your calorific needs and is attacking your fat stores. This isn't at all surprising considering the way you've been feeling. :\(
    Despite telling my midwife how ill I felt I didn't get a urine test until last week when my sickness was over. Considering I lost 7lbs in 1 week I would have definitely have been brEAKING down fats. However seeing as I'm 3 stone overweight it's not a huge deal. :roll: You are not and need to make sure you are eating complex carb meals as often as you can manage. If the ketone levels continue it can indicate that the baby is being starved and therefore its growth will be affected. For this reason alone it is important that you take the sickness tablets and get some food to your LO.

Hope that helps (if a bit scary),
    H xx
  • Thanks Helen, that is helpful. Am over worrying and being scared of what ifs now. I've made what I feel was the only decision in the circumstances though it is not ideal but neither is having a physical and mental breakdown soooo...!

They are really helping me so am just gonna have to stick at it and hope it dies down so can come off the meds as soon as poss.

Lots of Love
    xxx
  • Good girl. Just remember it will end. If you're anything like me you're used to feeling fit and energetic and therefore feeling ill is awful.

Glad you're feeling a bit better now.
    H xx
  • Hey lizzie, don't no much bout the tablets but I think u shud def take them if theylake u feel even a bit better, they sury wouldn't prescribe them it they could do harm? Don't worry about the running ur just like me feelin guilty even if you have a few days off!! But u no ur fit and as soon as it's over ul be back out there Hun : ) I had real bad sickness until 16 wks then luckily it went I didn't no of any tablets tho and wudve took them if I'd known! Even the airfreshner in the house made me sick am sure havin a toddler too is hard I carnt imagine that, it was difficult enough without last time! All our love hope it eases soon..Juliet will sense ur not well so don't worry too much maddox wouldn't let go of my dad yesterday at grandads funeral as if he knew he was upset, I reckon kids no alot more than we think : ) xx
  • oh so sorry to hear you are feeling so ill lizzie, and hope it passes soon and the medication is helping. there is nothing worse than feeling ill all the time. sending you hugs, kate x