Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

reaction to mmr?

hey,

hope you and your boodlers are all well and having a lovely weekend.

i was just wondering how your boddlers reacted to the mmr?

i gave it to theo last tuesday, and the hv said reactions may come 7 - 10 days after. well on fri (so 10 days after exactly) he wasn't himself at all, we had a get together with our friends from hospital who he has known his whole life and he usually puts his arms up for cuddles off them and bum shuffles right over to them, but he was really clingy and cried when the other babies took toys off him, which is just not like him at all, and he was warm. by friday night he was burning up and really unhappy, his cheeks where bright red so i was thinking it was either the mmr reaction or teething.

but it's now sunday and he's still the same - burning up, he's just been in a nappy the whole weekend and i'm giving calpol 4 times every day. he's playing a bit, but not himself at all, and red dots have appeared on his tummy. i've looked up about mmr reactions on the internet and it does mention a rash, but i'm worried about this. did anyone elses baby get a rash? it looks like a heat rash, so my husband said it may be that but i'm not sure. as its a sunday the drs aren't open so i don't know whether to take him to get checked??? quite a few of my friends children have come down with chicken pox recently, so i'm wondering if it could be that??? or is it the mmr? or something else? i just don't know! my poor baby. does this sound like how your baby's reacted to the mmr?

thanks for you help,
kate x

Replies

• Options
    It may be the mmr but the symptoms do seem to be clinging on a bit. It is much more likely to be a viral infection - they often cause rashes. I'm assuming it disappears with the glass check! Have you got a thermometer? If so take the temp - if it's higher than 39oC or doesn't drop after calpol then go to A&E. The nurses/doctors there will be very understanding and would probably rather see you than the drunken, pissed-himself bloke still unconscious from last night. To be honest I would probably go anyway - a high temp for over 48hours isn't good.

Good luck,
    H xx
  • Options
    thanks for your reply h. i took him to get checked and its an ear and throat infection and they think also a viral infection that's caused the rash. my poor little baba getting both at once. so he's on antibiotics and will hopefully be on the mend very soon xxx
  • Options
    Ah poor little Theo, can't believe he's got all that going on. WHy is it that it never rains but it pours : (
    Skye's got her MMR jab next thursday all being well. I'm still not looking forward to the fall out afterwards at all...

Hope Theo feels better soon x
  • Options
    Hope Theo's feeling better now, we've had a few ear and throat infections, not nice!

Isaac had the mmr jab yesterday so hoping he'll be ok. He screamed the doctors surgery down, bless him. But a chocolate button made everthing ok again! :\)
  • Options
    Yep, the choccie buttons will be featuring largely in Skye's MMR trip next week too bellah!
  • Options
    Hey Kate, is Theo any better now?
  • Options
    When Lily had her MMR and was offered a chocolate button afterwards, she took it, stared at it disdainfully, put it back on the table in front of the nurse and looked the other way!! But 10 seconds later she changed her mind and took it back :lol:
  • Options
    hey ladies,

thank you very much for your well wishes, sorry only just replying, haven't been online with theo not being well. he is now well on the mend and will finish his antibiotics tomorrow, but still has a nasty cough.

theo was really good with the actual injection (i did not even think of taking a chocolate button - will remember that tip for next time!), it was only 10 days after he was sick, but dr agreed with h that is was prob a viral infection rather than a reaction (what does viral infection mean?)

leigh21 - we didn't need to see the dr or the nurse, the hv give theo his mmr, is it not the same where you live? i know what you mean though, i thought i would be the last to give theo his because he always seemed to have something when i thought about booking it and i wanted him to be well as i was worried about it being a live vaccine so fitting it in was hard. in the end i just went for it though because i wanted it done before i started my new job!

hope skye, isaac and tyler are all fine when and after they get theirs done,
    love k x
  • Options
    Had to postpone Skye's jab for a week as she now has a cold and cough! 10 days and counting... : (

Glad Theo is on the mend now.

I thought you either had an infection or a virus? And that virus aren't treatable with anything, only infections respond to a.biotics?!
  • Options
    Well it's 6 days since Isaac had the mmr jab and he has come out with a wierd rash on his cheeks, his back and dry red patches behind his knees (that bit could be eczema but never has had it before!) Rash is raised, pimply and uneven. He seems ok in himself, not out of sorts but has a slight temperature with it. So I hope it doesn't get worse! Read online and it says a rash can come up after 6 days and usually up to 10 days. He's had viral rashes before and this does seem a bit different to those so thinking it must be a reaction. Trust him to be the one to get a reaction to it after my worrying about it!! :roll:

Glad Theo is on the mend Kate xx