Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08

Toothy questions!

How are the BID bodders coming along in the tooth department. Isaac has cut 3 teeth in the last few days poor thing! We now have three bottom molars, 2 on one side, so seem to be going against order now. I reckon the top molars are coming through too, no wonder he's been so whiney this week! image How big are the molars!!

So that brings us up to a grand total of 11 toothy pegs with more on the way!

Also, do you use adult or baby toothpaste? We are just finishing some baby toothpaste up so wondered if we can just use adult stuff now?

Isaac still hates having his teeth brushed and screams the house down! He's ok doing it himself but then he doesn't actually BRUSH them, he just sucks the toothpaste off the brush! Anyone else have a reluctant tooth brusher? He puts his tongue over his bottom teeth so we can't actually get to them.
In the morning I let him do his own with an electric toothbrush like mummy but in the evening we want to make sure they're done properly :roll: x

Replies

• dd only has 6 teeth, 4 top and 2 bottom. she cut her first tooth at 10 months then didnt have anymore until she was gone 13 months when she cut 5 in 6 days. she is 17.5 months now with no more new teeth.

we had 2 bad nights over the weekend and she has an incredibly short fuse at the moment so i think more are on the way hopefully. we have had a few bouts of teething on and off for 4 months now with nothing to show for it, so hopefully this bout with be productive.

we went to the dentist 2 weeks ago and we explain that she hadnt had any new ones for about 4 months and she reassured us that it was fine and that she will just cut them all in one go or phases.

as to brushing she is quite happy to chew and suck the paste off and will let daddy brush her teeth but if she sees me with the brush going towards her mouth then she clamps it shut and cuddles into daddy to hide her face the little madam.

not sure about the toothpaste though will be interesting to find out.

• Abby sounds very similar to your dd. She cut 2 teeth back in NOvember at 11 months and then stalled. She then cut 5 in less than a week about 1 month back, 4 on the top and 1 more on the bottom. No molars at present.
    As you know Abby did a lot of BLW so has been eating lumps and sucking pieces of food for many months. Anyway she got a huge shock when she bit into her apple and a lump actually came off. image She put her hand in and picked it out to examine it and then put it back in - lovely!

I would definitely stick with baby toothpaste at the moment. The fluoride levels in adult toothpaste are far too high and our LOs are still chewing and swallowing the paste at the moment. The only reason you would go up a level would be if the teeth were actually rotting (it happens image - some people feed their boddlers just sugary snacks and fizzy drinks) and even then only if recommended by a dentist. If your LO swallows too much fluoride then they could get dental fluorosis, a condition that causes white spots or pitting in the enamel or, in severe cases, brown stains and breakdown of the enamel. Fluoride is actually a toxic substance and can cause death but not in the levels found in either water or toothpaste.

Hope that helps,
    H xx

• Josh sounds a bit like isaac at the mo, he had 8 teeth for ages and has in the last few weeks got 2 big molars on the bottom, they are huge!
    I can see 2 more close to the surface on the bottom aswell but cant see if any of the top molars are close and dont want to risk getting my finger bitten off to try and have a feel!
    The dentist told us to stick with baby toothpaste aswell, like helen says adult toothpaste is only recommended when your children eat lots of sugary stuff or suck on bottles nonstop with juice etc
    Josh has good and bad days with brushing, most of the time is happy to let me do it, but sometimes just wants to do it himself, i think as long as they get done ok most of the time its fine image
    xx
  • The girls have 8 teeth each image x
  • Al's got 8 teeth too - he had 7 for months and then another popped through a couple of weeks ago No molars or canines yet - not looking forward to those image x
  • Lily only has 5. She also loves "brushing" her teeth, but actually all she's really doing is sucking the toothpaste off. Like you bellah, it's particularly hard to get at the bottom ones as she puts her tongue in the way. I too need to be more thorough about it. Tips welcome!
  • Skye has 10 teeth, and has cut most totally out of order, awkward madam :lol:

We have 2 top and 2 bottom molars, 4 top front teeth, but still only 2 bottom front teeth, the ones that are supposed to come first!

She has been particularly foul tempered over the weekend and chewing on everything she can get her teeth on, including my shoulder image, so I'm guessing there's more about to pop through. That said, her cousin has now come out in chicken pox so she could be grumpy as she's brewing for the pox too...so the MMR is having to be put off again. I was all geared up for it this week too :roll:

I can't get my fingers in there either anymore to check for fear of losing one of them!!! Some days she'll let us brush her teeth quite well, but we usually have to distract her with a toy/toothpaste tube in order to lift up her lip and do the top teeth. Same issue with the tongue getting in the way and the bottom teeth here too I'm afraid!

• We're on 9 now, after an extra 3 emerged since mothers day.
    I'm a bit slack with the teeth too. The mornings when we're on the way to nursery are the best as I get him to do his teeth while I go to the loo (one way to keep him occupied and out of trouble!)
    Evenings is very hit and miss - forgot tonight until he'd been in bed 10 mins, but did remember last night. Really need to get back into a better routine.

I'm not worrying too much about making sure they're all done properly. We do what we can and he'll get there. Thankfully we only have 2 (now 3) bottom teeth. image
  • Well seems like I have invented a tooth :lol: he actually has 10. That extra one on the bottom must have been a bit of food in his mouth!! I could have sworn I saw 11! image

Oopsy we have already used adult toothpaste a few times! I thought I'd read somewhere that it was ok. Better get us some more baby stuff. Thanks H, that has helped.

Good to know there are other rebellious boddlers with tooth brushing. This morning he clamped his mouth shut and I couldn't actually get the brush in! :roll:

I know what you mean Iz about losing a finger!! Several times, Isaac has clamped down on my finger when i've tried to feel his teeth! Sooo painful. Mind you, I wouldn't like someone sticking their finger in my mouth either! :lol:

Think I will have to try to lay down the law with toothbrushing now before he gets too set in his ways and totally resistant image Hopefully he'll get used to it at some point!