Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is your boddler too small?? =/

Hey bidies and bodlers....
ive just had the girls for their 16 month check and they are doing well with developmental milestones and walking and talking but they are underweight extremely! Dropping off the chart in fact both under 20lbs :/ Kinda expected it of Ella with her being unwell this year but not Ruby i do feed them and they are good eaters but they do have smaller portions they get very full quickly and they are always on the go!
They have put them on a high calorie drink called pedisure 2 times a day im hoping it tastes ok.....i feel like the docs will think they are not getting fed but they are premie babies i sumtimes forget that!
They arent very tall and do fit into some 6-9 month clothes mostly 9-12 tho!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their bodlers? Will they just be petite or what??
Is it summit to worry about?
xxxx

Replies

• I wouldn't worry too much if they're hitting their developmental milestones. They can't be lacking many essential bits of their diet. Just be careful not to try and get them to put on weight by giving them extra fat and carbohydrates. They will need extra proteins such as cheese, milk, eggs, meat and oily fish as these will give them extra muscle, brain cells and cells involved in organ growth rather than just fat on the outside of their bodies. The Pedisure drinks are protein-based so they will help. :\)

If you've read my other posts you'll know that Abby eats very little meat. She is also petite, weighing only 22lbs. However she is also short and extremely active so I'm not worried. I'm expecting her to be a bit short and squatty like me. image

Don't forget if the girls are under 20lbs they must be kept in rear-facing seats in the car as they're not strong enough to support their necks in case of a crash.

H xx
  • i had dd weighed 2 weeks ago at 17 months and she was just over 20lb. she was nearly 8 weeks prem. like the girls she is hitting all her milestones and more. try not to worry

• Lily is another who is petite, at about 21lbs. She is just below the 9th centile, weight and length. HVs and docs all say she is doing just fine and we can't all be Miss Average. To put it into perspective if she carries on at the same rate she'll be about 5'1" as an adult - little, but perfectly normal.

As for developmental milestones - Lily laughs in the face of them! :lol: She jabbers away but physically is very behind (for want of a better word - am confident she'll get there when she's ready!)

If the girls eat well and are healthy I would try not to worry - I know it's easier said than done (personally if a doc tried to put Lily on this drink I would question it - I know her and I know she's healthy and well nourished, as I'm sure your girls are. But with them being prem perhaps that changes things? I don't know enough about that to be able to say.)
  • have they plotted their height/weight against corrected age or actual age?

dd is around the 9th centile for actual age but would be closer to the 25th for corrected. i am only 5'1'' and 8.5 stone and dh is only about 5'7/8'' (weight is a different matter but thats beer as he was a 28'' waist back in the day when we started going out) so neither of us are giants so she was never going to be very big.

remember genetics play a big part to

• If they're hitting development milestones and looking well covered then I'm surprised they have making you give them protein-based drinks?
    Surely being premmies they are going to be slightly smaller anyway :\? I'm sure you are giving them both a well rounded diet hun.

Skye was 7 weeks early and is now measured against her chronological age rather than her due date. She was 23lbs at last weigh-in at her prem check up about 6 weeks ago, 50th centile, but only 9-25th centile for height, so she'll be short and curvy like Mummy probably! :lol:

She's in 9-12 trousers, although she seems to be having a spurt again so may be in 12-18 trousers at 18/19 months! She has a rather portly tum though so has to wear 12-18 tops to accomodate it!!!

If you're petite, or your OH, then it's probably genetic I guess to a certain extent

• They measured them against actual age but even against corrected age which is 6 weeks earlier they are still small! Im 5'6 size 12-14 and there dad is 6'2 but quite skinny! I know i give them as much as i can but they HATE fish so thats out of the question but they had lasagne tonight....porridge on the agenda for brekkie thinking of the extra proteins against yoghurt or cornflakes what about that cow & Gate porridge anyone tried it? The girls dont seem to mind the taste of the drink though i think its disgusting so ill keep em on it see if it affects them! They are always on the go Ruby more than Ella but Ella has been ill and has a diff personality!
    Thanks H i didnt realise the weight had a bearing on carseat i had them facing forward from 12 months because thats what the age said non the seat but ill putthem back in rear facing now! Pleased you brought that up!
    Im pleased the girls arent alone in being petite image xxx
  • Hey,

Pip is still a diddy little thing. I last had her weighed on 23rd Feb and she was just under 19lbs then. The HV wasnt at all worried. Im going to take her again this Thursday but im doubting she will have put alot on. She is so active and on the go all of the time she must burn it off quicker than it goes on. People always comment on how small she is but ive learnt to ignore it now. She is meeting all her milestones and is an intelligent little thing so until a HV or doctor tells me different i am not worried.
    She still wears mainly 6-9 month trousers (although she does have some 9-12mnths that fit) but most of her tops are 12-18months.
    Pip is still in her rear facing car seat due to her weight. If you have the maxi cosi cabriofix it is suitable for babies from birth - 12-15months (or upto 20lbs in weight). Im hoping that I will be able to change her very soon though as she loves looking out windows.
    I wouldnt worry too much, it sounds as if your girls are just fine.xxxx
  • Oh Gemma you made me panic there for a moment - Abby still uses her cabriofix in Granny's car and she's 22lb. However just checked specifications and it's ok until 13kg or 28lb 10oz - thank god. Will need to buy a second seat soon anyway but it'll do for the moment.
  • Sorry BF. I jst re read my post and i meant to put 29lbs but obviously hit the 0 instead of the 9. Sorry didnt mean to panic you out.
    As long as there heads arnt over the top of the seat. Pip is such a small thing she will probably be in hers til she's 3, lol.x
  • Lorelei is a titch as well image It's a rare day we get to put her in anything over 9-12months lol She must take after me as I'm 5 foot nothing to dude;s 6 foot 3! Weight-wise she's 21lb though that is using home scales as we;ve no HV but as with others I'm not al all worried as she's doing great and eats well enough most days. She's been walking from Dec so by now is constantly running about and is a very chatty little girl so she does look funny in shops when she walks up to people to say Hi being so small they think she's younger than she is haha
  • Hey I wouldnt worry at all, they look very healthy in the pics!
    I went and had josh weighed today out of interest as we havent been to the HV for ages and he is a whopping 27lb 7, now im worried hes to big!
    No im not seriously worried, he eats 3 good meals a day and is very active, he is tall tho just has a huge puku! (belly)
    I hope the drinks help them image
    xx

[Modified by: jessicadervin on April 15, 2010 12:13 PM]