Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Moving house and b*****y solicitors - no offense Lizzie.

Completely OT so apologies:
I am so stressed. We have been trying to complete on our house for months now. We instructed our solicitors at Easter and our mortgage was accepted within 3 days. Before even placing an offer we had an offer on our house and our buyer had an offer on hers.

Anyway we organised a moving date of 16th weeks ago but the worng date was frowarded by our solicitors to our buyer who thought we were completing on the 21st (my last day at school so I can't do). We managed to sort that out between us and agreed on Tues 20th July. I then contacted our seller and solicitors (in writing) and she contacted her buyer. That was over 2 weeks ago.
Every day this week we have contacted our solicitors asking when we were going to exchange and every day they've said "First thing tomorrow". They won't chase unless we ask them and every day I have waddled down there to check on progress.
Today the buyer's, buyer's solicitor has said that we will exchange on Monday but she hasn't requested the funds so we probably won't complete until Wed. WTF!! We agreed on the date over 2 weeks ago, why hasn't she requested the funds? And I can't have Wed off, how am I meant to move house if I'm not there? :x
The other problem is that our solicitor promised that the 20th was a goer so we have booked movers and days off. We couldn't leave the movers any longer as all the local companies were already fully booked so we had to make a decision. So on Tues 8am the movers are arriving to fill up the truck with our stuff but we won't be able to move in until later in the week. That means nights of staying at my parents with Abby in a travel cot and all our stuff in a garage - aaaarrrrhhhh!!! :x

Sorry long rant but good to get it off my chest,
H xx

Replies

• Thats so crazy...so annoyed on your behalf they should give you more priority!
    xxx
    Rant whenever you need too
    xxx
  • Sorry to g/c but you can complain about the delay to the legal complaint service. Go on line www.legalcomplaints.org.uk it will give you all the details. Hope the move goes ok.
  • ahhhhhhh sounds a nightmare!!!! Bet you cannot wait to get in and get settled before the baby!! Fingers crossed things go smoothly for you next week x
  • What a c*ck up! Sounds like both sets of solicitors are rubbish and to blame. Can understand how annoyed you must be. Hope Tuesday goes ok and theres no more hassles. You certainly don't need anymore especially when you're pregnant. Hope you get moved in and settled soon x
  • Bloody hell, none taken mate. They sound like a bunch of incompetents. Hope it all is sorted today. xxx
  • Know exactly how you feel!
    We completed 3 weeks ago, but took 4 months to sort whilst we were with inlaws and everything in storage. (6 months in total)
    Probs with mortgage retentions, rectificiation work the previous owner still never did and we have just found out she withheld an electrical report for the mortgage company saying the house needed rewired in full (getting done next week)
    Solicitors and estate agents were completely hopeless and with so many false promises of moving dates, our solicitor ended up with our ??70k deposit in their account for over a month until we moved.
    It really is a stressful time for sure.

Since we moved 3 weeks ago, James is unsettled and taken to hitting, I found out I am pregnant and hubbie's teaching contract is being terminated next year and he is taking legal advice.

So I totally sympathise and hope you get sorted soon
    Sharon
    xxx
  • God, they drive you mad don't they!

Really hope it all went swimmingly yesterday after all that hassle x
  • To cut a long story short we have moved! imageimage

However the day was hell. Our buyer hadn't actually told her buyer's solicitor the date of the 20th. Our estate agent told them the date only on Friday so it wasn't their fault after all. Until then they said they had only been told the 21st. We phoned them on Monday and they organised transfer and moved all the money on Tuesday morning. However our buyer's solicitors kept saying they hadn't received it. We chased both parties until early afternoon (whilst packing up all our stuff). At 2:30pm our buyer's solicitors told us that actually they did have the money but our buyer didn't want to complete that day and would only agree to the next day. By this point all our stuff was being unloaded onto the driveway of the new house. We were absolutely shocked as this was the date we had agreed with her for weeks.
    Anyway our wonderful seller had already moved out and allowed us to move in anyway - how good was she?! :\) I could have cried.

It looks like our buyer actually deliberately screwed us over. She originally suggested Wed 21st but I said I couldn't do that day because it was my last day of term so we agreed on Tues 20th. Now we know she didn't let her buyer know the date so I don't think she ever planned to move on the 20th. Bitch! :x

Can't complain though. We are now into our beautiful new house in a lovely area. Amber has been running round and round the garden with Abby chasing her shouting. When I ask if she wants to go in the garden she says "Yay! Yay!" - I'm so pleased she loves it. :\)

Thanks for all your support,
    H xx

[Modified by: blondefriend on July 22, 2010 09:53 PM]

• Aww so glad you all got moved in okay! Enjoy settling in and the rest of your summer hols xx
  • Great news that you're all moved and Abby is loving her new home! Must feel great to be all moved in. We are trying to move just need a buyer first :roll: It's taking a lot longer than we thought! Enjoy settling in x