Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08

rude old people!!!

RANT!!!!
on our way back from hols today we stopped at a visitor centre in the Elan Valley for lunch. Ruby wanted some of milly's grasshopper pie and was asking in the only way a baby can in a kind of half squeal/scream (you all know the one?) anyway, this really old woman came over and really loudly in front of everyone said "can you stop her doing that?" dh was agog just looking at me so i just said "er, well that's what babies do" and she said "not like that they don't." i noticed her husband start to shuffle away so i just said "well it looks like you're going now, so that's a good idea isnt it?" i was soooooo fuming i was ready to rage at her how rude! of course everyone was staring at us like hmmmm yes you bad parent you, with that screamy child and i was trying to be calm. It bothered me all day and really spolit the end of our holiday cos i thought how dare she comment on my child as if she had never had a child that had squealed before? cheeky bint. Its not even as if she was having a tantrum, or crying or anything, she was trying to communicate the only way she knows how! Oh hindsight, what i wish i'd have said now!
anyway, just getting it off my chest, maybe i can forget about it now! haha thanks girls xxxxxxxxxx
ps my big girl Milly is 4 today- cant believe it!

Replies

• OMG how rude. Don't worry, she'd probably also be the woman who told you BF in public was disgusting. Maybe she should eat at home.

Anyway she'd hate Abby! image Abby loves squealing - I secretly love it as it shows her confidence and happiness. However I have noticed recently that one of my friends isn't overly happy with it as her daughter (a beautiful, well-behaved 21 month old) now screams back and the 2 of them run around squealing at each other. Oopps. I'm now using the phrase "Use your indoor voice", how much of a mum am I?
    Abby is such a happy little girl that she usually wins people over with her smile but occasionally she latches onto someone who just doesn't like children. In the pub/restaurant last week (for lunch) she found an elderly and grumpy man and stood about 2m away just staring at him and smiling. I'm afraid he didn't fall for her charms and I had to rescue him as he started grumping. I actually heard him tell the barman that children shouldn't be allowed in. Now Abby didn't make any noise or touch him and was only there for about 30secs - it really wasn't enough time to be bothered.

I think some people think that they have a right to be grumpy because they survived the war. I know my Gran is grumpy all the time. She moans if Abby blows raspberries, runs around or eats with her fingers - and Abby's her favourite! :lol:

Have a great day today - Happy Birthday Millie! :\) :\)

H xx
  • Happy birthday Millie x

She sounds like a right bee-otch. I'd have lost my rag at her; silly gobby old cow! I hear babies squealing and shouting everywhere all the time. You sounded like you handled it in a very dignified way but what an upsetting encounter. Some people!!
  • She would have hated Isaac then, as he is always squealing/screeching for something! Think his teeth are driving him mad at the mo. image or maybe it's just him! :lol:

What a complete cow though!!!! I would have been so shocked if someone said that to me. It's difficult to respond at the time as these things just stun you at the time. Then you think of all the good lines you could have come up with afterwards! I really sympathise as even though you know it is their PROBLEM, you still feel upset about it for a while afterwards.

Grrrr, how dare she tell you how to parent your baby! I suppose she had a baby who never squealed, yeah right, or probably no children at all so doesn't have a clue!

I know what you mean about rude, judgemental old people who think that children and babies image should be seen and not heard. Thankfully, there are some really nice ones too, who haven't gone all grumpy! :lol:

Last week we were in the longest queue at the post office and Isaac dropped a big box of raisins all over the floor in the queue. I was trying to take them off him and he grabbed onto them and they went everywhere! image So embarrasing, especially as he was screaming by that point! There was a man, 80ish, behind me and he helped me pick some of them up, even though he had to bend down. He was so sweet and empathetic! Some of the younger women standing next to me just ignored it but he was just so kind! So when you meet kind, empathetic old people then it makes the grumpy ones look even worse! :roll:

Hope Milly has a lovely birthday today, bet it's come round quick! xx

• happy birthday milly!

grrr some people are just put on this planet to ruin our day!
    we were at a christening on sunday and it was so nice to hear 2 of the elderly ladies saying how nice it was to hear the church full of children jabbering throughout the service image
    Oh and I were so proud of Josh being on his best behaviour image

We had a terrible couple who could have only been in their 40's on the flight to NZ, glaring at us the whole time as they drank champagne the whole flight...
    why on earth did they sit right at the back of the plane then when everyone knows thats where they put all the families with young children!!
    GRRR

xx