Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Off the bottle finally :D

Hello my lovely biddies!

Just thought I'd share that Skye is now officially off the bottle at long last, yay! image

I changed her morning milk over to a free flow TT beaker a few months back, and was going to do her night time bottle at the same time, but I "bottled" it teehee! I really liked the fact that bedtime milk was about the only time she would sit on us for any period of time, and I enjoyed this time together :\)

But I knew I had to change over eventually...and thought I'd leave it until she was well over her MMR jab after effects, any imminent teeth were through etc etc. So, we just ditched the bottle on a total whim the other night and haven't looked back. I'm really proud of the little cheeky lady, she still finishes it all off, even if we do have to chase her round the room a bit with it :lol: So glad I left it until I thought she was ready though, rather than forcing her before I felt she was ready.

The bottle will be heading for the bin in due course and I now have a fully blown grown up girlie. Missing our bedtime bottle cuddles though!

I know quite a few BIDdy boddlers are fully over to beakers/cups, but is anybody else yet to make the move?

I'm guessing we must be nearly one of the last??

Iz & Skye x

Replies

• That's great she swapped over so well. Well done Skye!
    Lorelei drinks out of a regular cup during the day but loves her bedtime bottle of milk- dude puts her down each night so bit like yourself in that we're reluctant to give up this quality time. She pretty much refused her afternoon milk herself and same with sippy cups so figure she'll let us know when she's ready to give up the last bottle feed.
    Do you give Skye her bedtime milk in cup before bringing her to bed?
  • not quite the same i know, but i stopped bf Ruby last sunday and i was only really doing it cos we both liked that cuddly special time together before bed. its like they are all grown up and independent once not having bottle/boob.
    Ruby will NOT drink milk out of any recepticle though so having to give her plenty of dairy and milky cereal!
  • MC - we used to give Skye her bottle in her room, but we changed the routine when she got quite a few teeth, as used to forget to take her off to the bathroom for brushing them, oops! She has her milk downstairs watching some quiet telly now, and then off for teeth brushing and stories, which now have to read on the floor cross legged for some reason LOL!

You must have found Ruby's last BF quite an emotional step Naomi, it's like a real end to babyhood stopping the botttle/breast isn't it? : (
  • Gabriel and Gideon still have their night time milk in a bottle (as does Saul who is 3!!!) They don't have morning milk as such, as when they wake in the night (anywhere between 11.30pm - 4.00am), I give them a bottle in their cots...

They have drunk their milk out of a free flow cup but they prefer to make pretty patterns on the floor with it!!!

I'll leave it until they sleep through the night...

Sara x
  • Lily still has bottle am & pm. In my mind I want her off by the time I start introducing Maddie to it at about 6 months, so in 3 months' time.

She really enjoys both bottles and I suppose I'm putting it off because it's 12oz dairy guaranteed in the bank and I'm convinced she'll refuse to have it from any other receptacle. Don't know why, maybe I'm just being lazy.

Not worried about losing our cuddle time as happily she's always holding out her arms and demanding "CUDDLE" :\)
  • Well done Skye, she's obviously ready for the change over now! It just shows how they do things in their own time.

Not sure if Isaac is off the bottle or not as we have a toddler cup with a soft spout which looks very much like a bottle with handles!! It is free flow though so I suppose more like a cup. He still has around 5oz before brekkie and before bed. We don't have bottle cuddles anymore though as he runs around the room drinking his milk! I don't miss them though as he is so much more cuddly these days and we have more cuddles than we have ever had! image

It is strangely liberating binning the bottles!!
  • well done skye and no not the last! we are still using bottles too! i did intend to stop them when we got back off our hols, but theo would hardly drink anything from a cup, literally one or two mouthfuls, that was it, and as he has suddenly stopped eating cereal (i don't know why, he used to love it, i still offer it to him every morning, but it is flatly refused without even one mouthful going in - he will now only have dry cereal, he even ate a dry wheatbix the other day instead of one in milk - how disgusting must that be?!?) and wont drink milk from a cup in the day i was worried he wasn't getting anywhere near enough, so went back to the bottles as at least that way i now he will have at least 6oz in the morning and 5 in the evening.

to be honest i'm not really that worried about getting theo off the bottle. he only has one in the morning and one in the eveing and only milk in it. during the day he has cups of water. i think it's worse for their teeth when it's bottles of juice. so i'm not in a big rush to change it - will see how he goes over the next few months. k x
  • Well done!! We have taken the bottles away this weekend!!! I was dreading it as ive tried before and she just cries and calls out for her bottle!! It is worse because she calls milk 'bottle' so i left it until i had finished for the school hols incase it would take a while and we are on day 4 and she has not yet asked for her bottle!! Ive just made sure she has seen me put her milk in her cup so she knows it is milk and not water, so far so good! x