Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08

MMR-could these issues be down to it,help?! Update

Hey lovely BIDdies!

Well Skye eventually had her MMR and PCV jabs on Wednesday morning (put off due to swine flu jabs and 3 bouts of illness :rollimage.

She was such a brave little girl and didn't cry at all for either jab, she even watched the PCV one being done image

But she has been driving me up the wall for the last few days, and just wondering if any of you experienced anything similar?

I have also read back over one of PTB's posts because I remember her posting something about this after Lily's jabs...

I thought that maybe following her jabs she would be quite "knocked out" and sleep well that afternoon, particularly as we went to soft play straight after, but madam had other ideas! After over an hours perseverance to get her down to nap I had to take her out in the car in order to get her off, and we had a similar story that evening, wailing, full on tears, and 45 minutes of going up and down to try and get her to sleep.

This story has then repeated itself over the last 3 days. She doesn't want to nap, is exceptionally clingy and crying a lot, only wants her Mummy, and I am spending around an hour trying to get her to bed for the night, much of which is schusching, cuddling and sometimes having to get her out of her cot to calm her down in order for sleep to take a hold. :\( I don't want to make this too much of a habit in the long run, but I can't bear to listen to her sobbing her heart out :cry:

She flatly refused to nap at all today, even though I tried for well over an hour. And then even though she was practically asleep on her bottle at 7pm through utter exhaustion, she then jumped back up and ran around, and it then still took half an hour of crying and cuddling to sleep.

She doesn't seem to have a temperature, and I know it's too early for the measles symptoms to emerge yet, but has anybody else had this too??

It's only been 4 days but I'm at my wits end by nearly 9pm when she eventually gives in for the day.

Please tell me it will pass?! I'm sure it's too much of a coincidence to be anyhting else as it started almost within an hour of her jabs???

At the mo the thought of work stress next week and NVQ study is nearly pushing me to tears, and i know this could only be the start of any MMR reaction, albeit short term hopefully!

Now I must go pour some wine! :lol:

Iz & Skye x

[Modified by: posy1971 on 08 May 2010 22:09:53 ]

[Modified by: posy1971 on 10 May 2010 20:43:35 ]

Replies

• Ah poor Skye and you! She is clearly feeling out of sorts one way or another. It's so horrible when you can tell there's something wrong but you're not sure what.

Thinking back to Isaac's mmr jab. He came out in a rash about 5 days after, a raised pimply rash and he had a temperature with this for a day or two. He didn't seem too ill though. The wierd thing is he also developed quite bad eczema which he'd never had before. Not even dry skin really. The eczema has only recently gone down. Maybe coincidence but happened straight after.

Perhaps Skye is reacting to the measles part of the jab. I can't recall Isaac being particulary clingy and didn't effect his sleep. God it seems like ages ago but only last month! My memory is rubbish, the effect of a mad toddler! image

I think it's around a week until you can see a rash, the reaction to the measles part I think. Maybe she is already feeling it though? Or she could be coming down with something unrelated.

Isaac has just come down with his first bount of gastroentritis. We are on day 3. He can't keep anything down :\(, temp, lethargic and very clingy so I know how exhausted you are feeling!

Hope she gets better and next week goes well for you. Enjoy your glass of wine or 2 or 3! :lol: I'm having a rare night off! xx
  • Hey Iz - Lily was just as you describe. It drove me mad - she wouldn't let me out of her sight and was just generally grumpy even when being cuddled. I sound like a horrible mummy saying that but I'm just being honest - I really lost my patience. Keep checking her temp, though - Lily had one on-and-off and at those times I felt so relieved that I could do something for her. I never did conclude if it was due to the jab as she was also teething and had a cold at the same time. The phase probably lasted 2 weeks or so.

I hope for both your sakes she comes through it soon and that work & study are ok. I really sympathise and will be thinking of you.

Hope Isaac is better soon, too, Bellah.
  • Thanks for your replies ladies.

Just to top it off I've come down with a stonking cold and a a throat like razor blades today, sigh

A repeat of more of the same today sadly, and she is quite warm and keeps patting her head a lot, maybe she has a headache and is trying to tell me??:\? She had been dosed up with Nurofen but still fought sleep at bedtime :\(

I'm certainly hoping it's jab-related and she will settle after a few weeks, puhlease!

Sorry to hear Isaac is unwell Bellah. Skye had a really bad bout of GE a few months back, it was the worst I have ever know her to be when ill, she barely moved :\( We had to syringe 10mls of Diarolyte down her every 10 mins for a day as she was so dehydrated. I hope Isaac hasn't got this ill, and is pepping up a bit? It's just horrid to see them like that x
  • How is Skye doing today? Must feel like you're taking steps backwards with her getting off to sleep. Sure she will get better over the next few weeks!

Yeah Isaac has been really ill with GE. Like you I've never seen him so bad, really lethargic and unresponsive. It has been quite worrying at times! He has just been lying still and sleeping a lot on me. We have the diarolyte too in sachets. Thankfully yesterday he actually started drinking more and today looks like he is finally on the mend! I have never seen so much sick in my life! image Not much fun trying to get the smell out of the carpet/sofa either!

These toddlers certainly give us enough to worry about! :roll:

Hope you're feeling better soon too xx

• Hey, sorry cant help much on the related to jab front as I cant remember what josh was like it was so long ago :P
    It's so horrible though when theyre ill and not their usual selves.
    Like Isaac, Josh has had some kind of bug over the last week and is now finally eating again although only really mushy stuff, I can recommend Wizz stain remover tho! It has worked magically on getting all the sick stains out of carpet, duvet,clothes etc :P
    The worst part was probably because his nose was so bunged up he couldnt even drink any bottles to soothe him, he would see it and go mad for it and then be gasping at it trying to swallow some image
    I hope all the biddie toddlers get well soon as like PTB I am def losing patience now, am sick of having a toddler sleeping vertically between us all night!!!
    I need sleep!
    It didnt help that it was during my birthday aswell, I even wished on my candle to get a good nights sleep and it didnt come true, I was so upset lol.
    xx
  • Sorry to hear that Josh is unwell too Jess, they all seem to be going through a phase of it sadly. How very unfair to ruin your birthday :roll:

Bellah, glad to hear Isaac's drinking more and seems to be on the mend too.

I'm glad to report that today Skye seems more back to her usual self, hooooorah! She napped for nearly 2 hours at lunchtime at Granny's and went down to bed in 10 minutes tonight, thank goodness! I am so relieved and really hope that this means we're over the inital shock to the jabs.

It's day 6 tomorrow since the MMR so I suppose we could have the measles spots yet, so not totally counting my chickens...but it's a big PHEW all round here for the moment :\)

Iz & Skye x
  • yay! glad she is getting back to her normal self image
    hope youre feeling better aswell
    xx
  • Sorry I didn't reply earlier but glad Skye's feeling better now. It actually sounds more like teething symptoms to me but then Abby never reacts to jabs. :\)
    I hope Skye doesn't react to the measles bit - maybe give her a dose of Calpol before bed just in case.

And Jess - hope you sleep soon.

H xx
  • sorry to hear skye, issac and josh have not been well, there's nothing worse than our little one's being ill is there, hope they are all well on the mend and that you are too iz, love k & t xxx