Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08

Trip / Baby Updates

Everything is getting really close now. It is a matter of days before we move out of home and make the big trip back to NZ. Am quite emotional about it all since we've been in the month of.

Stopped feeling sick most of the time so that's a bonus. Really feeling the baby weight. Scales told me I was ten kilos heavier than my pre baby weight (that's almost a stone and a half, I think) but then they also told me Juliet was 26 lb which according to her baby book would rocket her from 25th centile where she has been since about 3 months old to 91st centile LOL. Methinks she was maybe hanging onto the cot rails at the time or something....they're digital though so am sure they're meant to be right but am praying not..............for both our sakes. TBH, although Juliet is eating much better, I doubt she could have gone from 21lb in March to 26lb 4 oz in July????!!!!!!! Weird. Anyway, that's a bit off topic....was more worried about my seeming massivo weight gain too lol. So, feeling quite preggos but not so ill any more, to summarise.

They said at my 20w scan that I have an anterior placenta again which is why I don't feel a lot of movement as it lies in front of baby and closer to skin surface than baby, iyswim. I hope this doesn't cause a retained placenta like last time as not keen on another spinal block and manual placenta extraction (lovely how they name it...makes my insides feel like some sort of location for an archaeological dig!!)

Daft, really, but I always wonder if X,Y or Z may have contributed to the problems with BF (maybe the separation while I had the op was not good for our initial physical bonding?) I am sure not but as I am completely BF obsessed, I have learnt no lessons whatsoever from Juliet and am headstrongly intent on successfullky BF no 2 and won't even consider that it will potentially go worse than last time lol! They say a PMA goes a long way so don't see what I've got to lose (apart from the massive comedown if things don't go well!!!)

Have read a little about managing toddler and baby but it's all been very non-specific. The only book that looks tailored to this subject is written by Gina Ford and I can't quite bring myself to go there lol!

I had hoped to have a peer at it at the library but it wasn't stocked there so got some dodgy 1991 really generalised book that is quite laughable really (interestingly there is a section on child masturbation where it has an entire half page devoted to the ins and outs (hmm) of the subject.............it was very left-field as the rest of the book was generally quite palatable and standard fayre....certainly threw me!!!

Am really rambling now. What else....

Not finding out sex so we're shipping absolute boxloads of Juliet's clothes over to NZ. Will be quite hillarious if it is a boy as we have NO neutral clothes whatsoever...o well, 2nd child is definitely going to be more last minute! Will rush out for boy's stuff if we need it. Think it could be a boy actually because at scan it was dead lazy and wouldn't move no matter how much poking and prodding. Contrast with Juliet who somersaulted and played so much at 20 w scan that sonographer kept cracking up and saying what a livewire we had etc. hahahaha am quite excited at the prospect of a cruisy baby this time....we will see!

S'about it really. I will still be able to log in from NZ so will be in touch again maybe before we go with another update or else once we settle in. Am VERY anxious about the flights. Juliet is a monster wriggler and hates sitting still. Have bought 4 sticker books from tesco as that and reading only times she sits still and TBH, reading is when it's a quiet environment and she is in the mood...there will be too much action on plane methinks. We had a whole day of her being tired today because she slept at mama's and because no blackout blind was awake at 530am....she has been so off all day and right grumpy over everything. To put her to bed at 615 was a massive relief and that was even after a 3.5 hour nap.........can only imagine what it will be like when she is really super tired and el grumpo on aeroplanes (14 hours and almost 11 hours respective flights......overnight in HK in middle though so hopefully if she's monged out, she will sleep in hotel.............!!!!)

Off to get some dinner on now for WC final and feet up.

Love to all
xxx

[Modified by: Lizzie77 on 11 July 2010 18:52:59 ]

[Modified by: Lizzie77 on 12 July 2010 07:07:50 ]

Replies

• Love your updates, Lizzie! Keep them coming as and when you can and if we don't hear from you, a million squillion good luck wishes for the move (and the flight!) xx
  • Good Luck Lizzie for the move and the flight and look forward to hearing all about newzealand image x
  • Am so jealous!!
    Good luck with the flight, at least you dont have to worry about a return journey for awhile :P
    Cant wait to hear more preggos updates from the land of the long white cloud.
    xx
  • so pleased things are looking up on the preggos front and cant believe its almost time for you to go already! wow, wish i was going off to start a new adventure. Enjoy your last weeks in England and cant wait to hear updates when you get back home xxx
  • Can't believe you're off. I know that you will still be able to log on and I've only met you once but it feels like you're leaving. I actually feel quite sad - is that strange?

I haven't planned anything for the new baby yet. Everything is in boxes and until we move I can't really do anything. I'm 31 weeks now and haven't bought anything except 1 unisex sleepsuit that I saw in a sale. No double buggy, no carrier, no clothes, nothing.

Do you know why you had a retained placenta? Was Juliet early? Did you have the oxytocin injection? Did your midwife pull on the cord at all? It's just that some retained placentas are caused by external causes and some are just more likely in some women.
    TBH the separation probably didn't cause the BF issues unless it then caused you to be more worried about your relationship with Ju. Abby was in SCBU and I couldn't hold her for 24 hours and didn't feed her for 2 days. However in that case I was physically fine and hadn't had the trauma of an operation.
    What I'm trying to say is that sometimes BF doesn't work but it doesn't necessarily mean it won't this time. Go into it positive, we all know you tried so hard last time.

I've read the Gina Ford book and some of it makes sense. I believe that her routines are there to read, to understand the key ideas and then to put the book away. If you can't remember the timings then they're not important.

Anyway good luck with everything and can't wait to hear that you got there safely.
    H xx
  • Thanks guys. Ahh, BF, it's not strange - it's nice!

Re placenta - yes, I had the oxytocin injection, then when nothing happened they made me try and deliver it the old-fashioned way which involved squatting over a BUCKET but that didn't work so the psycho manicured nail high-heeled MW tried tugging it out and tore the cord so it looked a bloody mess....then when I still couldn't deliver it, they got the surgeon in and she said it was damn well stuck and I needed surgery as it wasn't going anywhere.

I think I'd like a look at GF book just out of interest, really.

xxx
  • Apparently the oxytocin injection can sometimes make your cervix close when the uterus contracts. This traps the placenta inside and when the MW pulls the cord it snaps. Anyway unless you are bleeding you might want to discourage them from giving the injection in order to try and deliver naturally.

There is a slightly higher risk for you to have a retained placenta if you had one before but it is still more likely to be normal. I do worry that LO is going to have the same issues as Abby at birth but I have to stay positive and am determined that lightning doesn't strike twice. Otherwise I would go mad.

H xx
  • BF, my NZ midwife mentioned same thing you have about cervix closing up. Sounds like maybe I might avoid the injection for a bit this time and see what happens. She was very reassuring and saying she will look over all my notes and consult with the obstetrician if need be once she has the fuller picture. It's not really a big deal but with my mum losing her first child after birth at the same hospital I will be delivering at AND that having related to the placenta, I have just been feeling a bit nervous about the delivery.

I am hoping the hospital has been rebuilt (I don't want to ask my mum) so it isn't as scary for my mum as it will be otherwise. She moved away from the town after her first baby died and we were all delivered in a city under consultant care. She hardly ever visits the grave now they are back living in that same town again 30 years later and it's still all very sad for her so guess it's been weighing on my mind. The weirdest thing about it all is when I was home last, it all came up again (even though my M&D never hardly ever talk about their eldest son and have almost kept it buried deep down) because a conman stole a whole lot of dead babies' identities and used them for getting student loans and things...and one of them was my dead elder brother so after 30 plus years, my mum had to open up all the old wounds. I know me coming home to have the baby at the same hospital has some of that potential (mum had me and Juliet down for dead even when we were in the UK after she'd gotten text from me saying I was going to have the baby any minute then never heard anything for 7 hours........she even phoned the maternity ward here in the UK as she was beside herself, bless her)

Anyways, I guess that is why it has been playing on my mind although I am not scared of giving birth of labour. I am scared of something going wrong with my placenta though; hopefully I can shake it!
  • Sorry I haven't had the chance to reply till now Lizzie - things are rather hectic here with hubby being laid up, so I don't get much time for anything but reading posts and quick replies!

Can't believe that you are now going back to NZ, time has really flown by eh! Unsure when you are actually flying off, so will be thinking of you all and the long flights with toddler and baby bump in tow!

Sounds like Juliet is thriving anyway, and maybe the scales must be telling a little porky pie...particularly when you get on them of course!! ;\)

And I'm so pleased to hear that the sickness has abated and you can now enjoy baby no 2 at last, it must have been very wearing to be so sick. Am wishing you a lovely, lazy, easy baby and I'm sure that all that PMA will help no end when it comes to the BF.

I can totally understand why you must be so concerned about the placenta retainment being an issue again after last time, but at least it sounds like you have a very understanding mw who is helping to allay your fears. Your Mum losing her first born at the hospital must only serve to compound your worry levels as well you poor thing.

I am so angry at what I read about the conman stealing your elder brothers identity. It must have caused such fresh heartache for your whole family :\( Why are there such nasty, unscrupulous people in this world?

Anyhow, wishing you all well on your journey back home again,

Please try and stay in touch!

Iz & Skye x
  • Thx. Fortunately for ju but unfortunately for me, I'd wrongly calculated the lb into kg conversion thereby sending her shooting from 25th to 90th centile in three months lol! I remain a wobbly fat shit & can't blame the scales, can only blame the scones! Massive cheese scone cravings!