Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Are your boddlers spoon feeding themselves now?

Hey lovely ladies!

Skye went through a phase of feeding herself with the spoon, and sometimes does about half her pudding, very messy, but has got lazy of late! She's quite happy for me to feed her again now. :roll:

Just wondering how the other BIDdy boddlers are getting on with this, as maybe I should be encouraging her a bit more now??

Would welcome any comments/advice please!

Replies

• Options
    Hiya!

We've only just started letting Al feed himself - it' was more my reluctance to have the house covered in food! He's fine with things like porridge or yogurts but everything else tends to go everywhere but his mouth lol! I feel like I need to keep encouraging him too though and not get too bothered by the mess.....
  • Options
    Rachel attempts it - if she's hungry, she likes me to start it off, but then she takes the spoon from me to do it herself. She does tend to get very frustrated if her food falls off the spoon, so I try to give her food that has quite a sticky texture - mashed potatoes, fish pie, that sort of thing.

Hannah xx
  • Options
    Ruby tends to like feeding herself but Ella point blank refuses to do it! I guess she isnt really ready yet and i dont mind feeding her atm it means that i can keep them babies but Ruby is doing well image
    She does like your rachel stsarina get very frustrated if stuff falls off the spoon! So when she has the treat of pizza and chips cut up she discards the cultelry and uses hands where as Ella still wants me to feed her even that!
    xxx
  • Options
    josh is too lazy!
    He has gone through stages where he has, and is at the mo grabbing the spoon off me and then i hold his hand and dip it in the bowl and help him get it to his mouth which is good, i thought all the others would be now so im glad to see this thread! He would happily feed himself loads of fingerfoods tho. I just cant stand the mess of him trying to feed himself by himself *shudder* hubby and I are too OCD cleanfreaks image
  • Options
    Phew, we're not the only one's then! Skye is more interested in stirring and stabbing her food, but i think she gets the stirring from watching me doing it!
    She will put it in her mouth if I load the spoon but soon gets bored by this.
    We feed her in the kitchen now Leigh so I can wipe the floor over afterwards...and the cupboards, and sometimes the ceiling LOL!!!
  • Options
    It depends on his mood! :lol: Sometimes he will feed himself but mostly just throws his hands into it as it's quicker and easier. A lot of the time he gets so distracted by having a spoon that he stops eating and he is a fussy eater anyway! :roll: We usually have to load the spoon for him and the food has to be of the right consistency otherwise there is no hope of it getting to his mouth! He will def eat more with his fingers and he will not have us feed him at all, unless it's yoghurt or cereal! He's always been like this though so we did baby led weaning with him. Our carpet is now completely ruined! xx
  • Options
    Lily can and is very pleased with herself when she does, but she's so careful about it she gets bored so I end up feeding her myself to make sure she actually gets a decent amount inside her! She rarely just sticks her hands in anything that needs a spoon.
  • Options

dd has a go but is far too impatient, she likes her food hot so if she feeds herself with a spoon or fork it goes cold then she wont touch it, even if i warm it back up (gets that from her daddy, if his food is not hot it puts him off and he will leave it).

she is happy to have a little food in a bowl with a spoon/fork and let me feed her while she plays with her bowl and fork.

• Options
    Issy feeds herself everything and has done since she turned one, i cannot help her at all, she uses mental spoons and forks, she is far too fiesty to let mummy help!!! She actually eats more now than she used to do and finishes every meal at nursery now, dont think she ever liked anyone feeding her except from mummy!! She even tips the bowl now to get every last bit of food out!!