Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

work dramas again

a friend of mine in work has had her days changed from mon,tues and wed to mon, wed and fri with out even being consulted about it. so got into a panic about my days and when i asked my head of dept she told mine have changed from mon, tues, wed to mon, tues, thurs. no one even told me about this or even warned me. been to see the head who was very unsympathetic as usual, think he is still holding a grudge that i gave birth early, as i obviously did it to wind him up!

have no idea how we are going to manage if i cant get the days changed back. as we rely on family to look after dd it is a nightmare as they cannot just simply swap days where they work. dh has rung around a few of the local nurseries but they are all booked up, one would have a space but not until january so not much good for september.

still waiting for the union to ring me back as i know they can change my days but they cant without consultation. so considering i only found out today once the timetables were sent out it is safe to say that they did not consult with me or even give me some warning that it would happen.

so stressed just dont know what to do

Replies

• I don't know what to say. That's an awful thing for them to do to you at this late stage. One of my staff has had her days changed from Mon, Tues, Thurs to Tues, Thurs, Fri because of 6th form grouping but she doesn't have child care issues so didn't mind. Plus she was consulted. My other PT member of staff has childcare and they have bent over backwards to give her the hours she wants.

Are there any local childminders that will take her? They are also slightly cheaper than most nurseries. I know it's not ideal though. :\(

I hope you manage to sort something out. The other option is to put up two fingers and hand in your resignation but then you would need to find another school which will do the days you want - not easy.

H xx

PS - However it's probably your fault for daring to have DD early. How selfish are you?

• Sorry, this won't help, but I feel your pain. I was told I'll be doing Weds & Fri when I go back (in Jan), but by pure chance discovered they've changed this to Mon & Weds without bothering to tell me. Luckily I'm not in the same predicament as you I haven't tried to sort out nursery places yet. Just as well :x
  • have contacted the union and they have said that they cant do this, they cannot change my days without consultation. he also said that they have a legal requiremnet to met and maintain my days. i told them the reason that the head gave about split classes and they have said that it is tough and if there are split classes then it is on his head, it is not up to me to have to sort out his timetabling issues. i left the meeting yesterday agreeing to look into changing my childcare which so far has proved impossible but they said that it is not my responsibility to do this.

they did say that if they cant give me the same same days then as i am contracted to work 60% and am paid 60% i would just do 2 days (so in theory would work 2 days but get paid for 3).

i emailed the head first thing but he has not replied. the union rang the head on my behave this afternoon but he was not in so has left a message for the headto ring him back urgently.

they have done the same to 2 other people too. when i spoke to one of my friends that has been affected she told me that hse was talking to my head of dept who told her that the head went to here weeka ago asking if i wanted to change my days in september, she told him she didnt know but didnt bother to tell me. if i had known this then i could have gone to him and got this sorted weeks ago. i am so angry after everything i have done for her over the years, from setting work when she is ill as she doesnt bother to do this herself, running the dept for 2 periods of around 3 months each while she was off with depression to sorting out all the things that she doesnt do while she stays at home supposedly 'ill' knowing that all the stuff she is behind on i will get done then she can come back to nothing to do.

sorry that turned into a rant.
  • hey, hope your ok - has your situation been resolved at all? what an unnecessary stress, at least it sounds like your union rep is good. hope it all gets sorted quickly so you can enjoy your summer with your beautifu girl k x
  • have got absolutley nowhere. had a meeting with my head and he said they can do this with negociation, i explained that there had not been any to which he replied that this was the negociation. not sure how this can be classed as negociation as i did not know it was even likely or warned. the first i knew was when i saw my timetable. i explained the difficulty i was having rearranging my childcare and he has basically told me that i do the days he wants me to or i need to resign!!!! union are up in arms, i would have a good case for forced resignation or constructive dismissal but i would have to resign first then take him to a tribunal. this will all take time so he has me over a barrel as i can not afford to resign with no job to go to so can risk taking him to court.
  • That is shit. Sorry it's continuing to be such a nightmare. Could you resign and do supply cover to tide you over? It's a pain in that it's not guarantteed but could at least be some work to keep a bit of income through the bank.

See whatthe union says and you can do about keeping the complaint going even if you do change days as if/when you have to incur additional costs due to the enforced changes then you would possibly be able to claim the additional costs back because you haven't been able to use the arrangements you had in place previously (and he hasn't followed the correct procedures).
  • Can't believe how much stress they are causing you Karen, bl**dy employers. At least you have a union on your side to help. And your headteacher sounds like a nasty piece of work : ( A tribunal doesn't really sound like a viable option in the circumstances. I really do feel for you hun x