Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Interactions with others?! (also in toddler)

Since being on my summer holidays I have obviously been spending a lot more time with Abby both on our own and with other mums. I have started to notice that there are a lot of differences with how she reacts to situations in comparison to some of the other children. I was wondering how your LOs would react to the following common scenarios.

Q1 - Your LO is on a trampoline/climbing frame/soft ball thing with some friends when one of them falls over. Does your LO:
a) Get upset for them
b) Not even notice
c) Laugh
d) Jump on them, assuming it's a game
Q2 - When your LO falls over/bangs their head enough to hurt but not too badly do they:
a) Cry inconsolably
b) Cry but calm down after a cuddle
c) Rub their hurt part, ask for a kiss and run off
d) Not even notice
Q3 - When your LO falls over/bangs their head so that it really hurts do they:
a) Cry inconsolably
d) Not even notice
Q4 - What is your LO's favourite type of play when on their own?
a) Independent, quiet play with a few select toys
b) Reading a book
c) Running around and climbing
d) Make-believe/imagination games
e) Drawing/crafts
f) Other
Q5 - What is your LO's favourite type of play when with other children?
b) Reading a book
c) Running around and climbing on their own
d) Make-believe/imagination games
e) Rough and tumble with the other children
f) Drawing/crafts
g) Other
Q6 - When another child takes the toy they are playing with does your LO:
a) Get on with something else
b) Take it back
c) Hit/bite
d) Cry
Q7 - When greeted with a new ???????friend??????? that they haven't met before does your LO
a) Not want to interact with them at all
b) Hide behind you until they've sussed the situation
c) Offer them a toy to play with
d) Run straight up and hug them
e) Take their toys and make sure they know who's boss
Q8 - When you meet up with other toddlers does your LO
a) Spend most of their time with you
b) Play quietly with them
c) Join in with whatever game is going on
d) Get over-excited
Q9 - When you meet up with a lot of adults does your LO
a) Stay with you/OH
b) Stay with adults who they know well
c) Go with anyone who has an interesting toy or food item
d) Run around shouting/talking so that everyone is paying them attention
Q10 - When you pick up another child/baby does your LO
a) Cry and demand your attention
b) Settle down very close to you and keep a close eye on the situation
c) Not really notice and gets on with what they were doing
d) Find someone else to bother
e) Find something loud to do in order to demand your attention

With Abby our answers are:
1d, 2c, 3b, 4c, 5e, 6b (but will resort to c if necessary), 7d&e, 8d, 9d, 10d or e

Some of her friends are similar but most are much quieter and more empathetic. I have always been proud of her independence but am now starting to worry about her over-confidence and exuberance. This is becoming especially worrying as I am 8 months pregnant today. How on earth am I going to mange with a new-born and a toddler who never sits still? :x

H xx

Replies

• Options
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr just spent ages answering and replying to you and BE ate the whole lot up!!!!!!!!!! will try again!
  • Options
    1 a
    2 c
    3 b
    4 c
    5 e screeeeams til she gets it back!
    6 c
    7a
    8 c
    9 c
    10 c

Ruby is quite uncontrollable at the moment! In public, she is a nightmare cos she knows if she makes a fuss/noise, i will have to pick her up or try to stop her whereas at home tantrums or screaming get ignored until she has stopped. She is also used to playing with milly and older cousin so interacts very well although screams a lot if she doesnt get her own way or the toy she wants. Although it can be fairly embarrassing when i'm with other people who have toddlers with lovely behaviour, i am staying consistent with my expectations of her, and i hope as she understands more and gets less frustrated, she will calm down a bit. I know what you mean about having a baby with Abby being quite active etc and it may be tough to begin with, but she will soon adapt i'm sure. dont get too worried about it x
  • Options
    Hi H!

I have read all your answers and decided we have the same child LOL! About the only question with a different answer is Q7, where Skye would probably do b and then quite probably e once she's comfortable :roll:

I find Skye to be totally exhausting, she never stops except to watch Fifi on DVD, which is getting too often to give Mummy a break!

Of late she has become much more exhuberant and loud. She yells enough to scare her 11 month old cousin to tears on many occasions, and has started to hit him over the head with thing in order to get his attention. I'm terrified she's going to hurt him :\(:\(

Sadly I feel like I am wishing away the months until she goes to pre school next May, beacuse she is just so much of a handful :\( Even my sister finds her difficult, particularly when she gets together with her boy who is 5. They are way too boisterous and Skye gets the better of him most of the time, resorting to pulling his hair if necessary to get her way. I am horrified at her behaviour! We do time out seometimes and I try not to raise my voice and get angry, but it's so impossible sometimes, RAH!

Also taking her out shopping/to the library/pubs etc is quite a stressful experience, and not particularly enjoyable :\(

I hope it's a phase and she will calm down...in about 20 years time at this rate!

We should get Skye and Abby together, might be interesting!! :lol:

Iz & Skye x
  • Options

Q1 - Your LO is on a trampoline/climbing frame/soft ball thing with some friends when one of them falls over. Does your LO:
    a) Get upset for them

Q2 - When your LO falls over/bangs their head enough to hurt but not too badly do they:
    b) Cry but calm down after a cuddle (but sometimes fake cry!)

b) Take it back

Q7 - When greeted with a new ???????friend??????? that they haven't met before does your LO
    a) Not want to interact with them at all Or

c) Join in with whatever game is going on

c) Go with anyone who has an interesting toy or food item

b) Settle down very close to you and keep a close eye on the situation
    OR
    e) Find something loud to do in order to demand your attention

Isaac is very physical and constantly on the go. So know what you mean Iz, about being exhausting and thinking happy thoughts about pre-school! image But I will be so sad when he goes :cry:

Although he never stops and is very independent, so far he isn't overly exhuberant with other children. But that may be down to the fact that he doesn't go to nursery so he's not in a large group setting very often. He may well change when he becomes more used to that situation - having to fight his corner more and copying other LOs behaviour.

The most annoying thing I find is the sceaming when he doesn't get his own way/what he wants! That high pitched scream is soooo grating and he doesn't stop until he gets what he wants or we finally manage to distract him! Also he has become fond of fake crying too! :roll:

Having a little bro/sis will probably really help Abby to be more gentle in her interactions with others. Bet she'll enjoy playing big sis!

• Options
    Will try reply properly soon but we find some of juliet's behaviour very challenging at times lately too. In different ways but I think this age must be rife for it, listening to you ladies. Back with more tales of horror toddler monster hopefully soon!!
  • Options
    a) Get upset for them

either
    depending on her mood or time of day

b) Reading a book

e) Rough and tumble with the other children

a) Get on with something else or
    b) Take it back

b) Hide behind you until they've sussed the situation

b) Play quietly with them or join in what they are doing or at least try to

b) Stay with adults who they know well

b) Settle down very close to you and keep a close eye on the situation or try to get involved with the cuddle to show who is boss