Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How is everyone coping?

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm coping much better than I expected I would. With dd1 I did get pnd pretty much from the start so thought it would be the same, but feeling pretty good.

Avie is generally a good baby. We don't have any real issues with her (thank god). BFing is going well which was my main concern.

Things I'm having trouble with:

Cluster feeds- These start around 7pm each evening, and I actually really enjoy the first few hours. I love the excuse to just sit and watch some tv and eat. However there have been some nights that the cluster feeds go on until as late as 4am. With being so tired I get a bit teary and lonely (get jealous that DH doesn't have to deal with it, I hate that I start to struggle and he's sitting playing video games!).

Clingy baby- She is very clingy and we're lucky if she will sit in her bouncer for 20 mins. We're handling it ok for now but I'm dreading DH going back to work next week and I have to hold her all day while looking after dd1 who is 16 months.

Physical pain- I'm having trouble with the physical recovery. My pelvic floor muscles seem very weak and my spd is still really bad. The tailbone pain is the worse, going to the dr tomorrow as I'm starting to think something is really wrong and wondering if it's actually broken.

I feel lucky that I'm coping well and hope it continues, but I'm also hoping all you ladies are doing well. If anyone is struggling I urge you to talk about it, even if it's just on here. With dd1 I started doing better when I stopped hiding away.

Replies

• We're doing OK, although like littlewolves - I have NO idea how I will cope when Neil is back at work! I don't even know how I'll be able to go to the loo with 2 children to look after, let alone be able to leave the house or make/drink a brew! Eeck!

I am giving a couple of bottles of formula (just a couple of ounces) but breastfeeding 95% of the time. We started that because she had bad jaundice, but carried on because the cluster feeds in the evening were driving me mad - because she would just scream and feed constantly (until the early hours - and then she'd be up to start the day at 5 or 6) so I give a bottle most evenings now, and that works a treat. She's still feeding a lot in the evenings - but it's managable now, and she is very contented.

I am really proud of how well we are doing with breastfeeding, because it didn't go so well with Abby (mainly because I was such a stresshead!) it was a bit tricky at first and I almost gave in a couple of times, but we carried on, and it's got so much easier now. I am even comfortable feeding in public, which I never was with Abby (I always gave formula or EBM when out and about).

Abby loves having a little sister - and she dotes on Milly, a bit too much at times, and we have to watch her like a hawk when they are together, because Abby keeps trying to play with her, change her nappy, feed her toast and share her toys (by chucking them into the crib randomly) oh and I had to explain to the health visitor why Milly had chocolate on her babygrow!! Assuming Milly can survive Abby's love and attention I think they will grow up to be very close! image
  • Awww Nikki, your reply made me smile, what lovely little girls you have! image

Well it is still early days for us (day 6) but I think we are doing really well, Lucas is very content, is feeding regularly (bf with top ups - again had a little jaundice and also is very laid back, latches on well but doesn't stay put!) only really cries when he has his nappy changed/has a bath - doesn't like being naked/cold!! and is sleeping well, he will feed then sleep for a good 2/3 hours in his moses basket. Hubs and I are very much a team and he has been a great support, completely doting on his little boy imageI know there will be days and nights that are harder and I am sure we will get through it as a team.

I am not quite used to all the little worries I have, made a long list of questions for the mw today but guess that is part and parcel of being a parent. Physically I think I am doing well considering I had an emerg csection and fingers crossed as each day that passes I will feel more and more like me.

I will confess I haven't quite got used to my post - baby body and this has led to some tears, but the rational side of me know that my body spent 9 months doing something incredible and that it will take time.

My Hubs still has another just over 2 weeks off (what with xmas hols and then paternity) which is great, I guess things will change once he is back at work but we will adjust. Keep thinking to myself how will we manage when I am back at work too but that is a long way off so need to put that thought to one side and not worry about it for now, oh and keep my fingers crossed in the meantime we win the lottery :lol:

Love MrsH xxx
  • Sounds like we're all doing well and all have similar worries too.

Little man is just a dream, he feeds roughly every 3 hours and like MrsH's little man only really cries when being bathed or dressed. Generally he goes down well after a feed during the night, every night I go to bed thinking 'this is going to be a hard night' as they're not as bad as I thought they would be...yet!

Hubby and I have been doing a lot of things together, but I'm starting to do more on my own now so that I'm used to it when he goes back to work so that I'm not relying on him too much. We're very luck that he has another 2 weeks off work because his paternity doesn't kick in until Tuesday due to having Christmas holidays.

xxx