Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone else got a sleepy little one too???

Hi Ladies,

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or worried that Eleanor sleeps as much as she does, I'm used to her waking during the night for a long period but that's stopped the past few days. The health visitor was out today so I checked Ellie over with her and her sleeping/eating patterns etc. But a typical day for Ellie now involves waking up around 6am for a one boob feed then she either dozes or is awake in her moses basket just looking at her hands etc. Then a feed between 9-10am and then sleep until lunch time then she stays awake for a short time before having another feed at about 5pm, she sleeps then until about 8pm then when she wakes she cluster feeds until 11-11.30pm then sleeps through until 6am again?! (The sleeping through is new, she's done that for the last 2 days! Before she'd wake at 12 and stay awake, feeding until 3/4am). Is anyone elses babies sleeping this much? I know in the first few weeks they say it isn't uncommon for babies to sleep 90% of the time but she is a month old tomorrow. She doesn't always wake up for feeds either she'd happily sleep for more than 4/5hours sometimes but I have to wake her as I worry she isn't getting the nutrients/vitamins she needs with such a long time between feeds? She has gained 2lbs on her birth weight so I know she's feeding enough I just don't know when the wake time should be increasing?

Thanks for reading!! Hope all new mummies are doing well! xxx image

Replies

• She sounds perfectly normal to me.

Milly is jut starting to have long periods of being awake and alert, but I haven't been paying too much attention (she will lie quietly in her mosses basket playing with her fingers, or looking intently at something for a while and then just drop off) so I don't know where she fits into the whole thing - but I would guess she is about the same as your LO.

Sleep is so important to babies (it is during sleep that they process all the learning they have done - so without sleep they won't learn, and obviously at this age, they have a lot of learning to do!) so I think it's more of a worry if they don't sleep enough. Also - all babies are different, some will still be sleeping for 20 hours a day and just waking up to feed, but others will be more lively! As long as she is happy and thriving - then don't worry! image

Enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts!

Nx