Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First AF after having baby - is this normal?

Hi ladies

**TMI ALERT**

If you are squeamish please do not read the rest of this post.

I have just started my first AF after having DS2 6 and a half weeks ago and it's as heavy as the blood loss when I had him! I can feel it coming out and it gets worse the more I move about. My lady garden is aching like someone has kicked me in it repeatedly for several hours and I have bad stomach ache as well. I just went for a bath and had to get out after 5 minutes as I started bleeding in the bath, which I have never done before.

Is all this normal? I don't remember it being this bad after DS1. It is literally the same amount of blood as I was losing after I gave birth and I'm having to double up maternity pads in my pants!

I'm going to docs tomorrow for a different issue so will mention the bleeding, but just wanted to know if anyone else has been this bad as I am getting a bit worried.

Thank you, and really sorry for the TMI.

Sam, Harrison & Daniel

xxxxx

Replies

• Options
    Have you been over doing things lately?

Your periods will be different after having a baby, they could be better, could be worse (mine got a lot better after having Abby) but also it could be more of the lochia (if you have been over doing things).

Have you had your 6 week check yet? It might be worth giving your MW a ring and asking them what they think, it is possible to have a PPH (post partum hemorage - sp?) 6 weeks after the birth, so if you are losing a lot of blood (it sounds like you are) then it might be worth getting checked over, just in case.

Sorry that's not much help.

hope you feel better soon. Hugs.

nx
  • Options
    I've got 6 week check on Tuesday. I didn't end up going to docs cos I have to walk there and back which is a good 25 minutes each way and the amount I'm losing I'm worried it comes through my trousers, and moving too much is making it worse. I suppose I have overdone things slightly recently, I'm finding it hard to get more than 5 mins to myself. As soon as I have seen to Daniel I have to sort Harrison out, the only meal I eat is my t when dh gets in, don't even have time for breakfast and very rarely have lunch.

Will ring nhs direct and see what they advise.

Thank you ladies, you have been a great help.

Xxxxx
  • Options
    (((((((((Sammi)))))))))) sounds horrible, I have total respect for mums of 2 or more as we're still getting our heads round number 1! Hope NHS direct are of hlep, otherwise HV might be able to advise?

Does anyone know when you can start using tampons again? Obv after 6 week check but do you have to wait any longer? x
  • Options
    Thanks hun. Nhs direct advised me to call my doctor as I was bleeding so heavy. The on call doctor rang me and advised to monitor it for a bit and he would call back and decide whether I needed to go to hospital or not, luckily by the time he called back yesterday evening it had eased off a bit so I avoided hospital. It's a lot better than it was but I'm trying not to move around too much as it does make it worse. Though sitting still for too long is almost impossible with ds1&2.

Not sure about tampons tbh hun cos I normally use towels, but I would have thought as long as there's no infection (from stitches/tear etc) then you should be ok.

Xxx
  • Options
    GC, glad to hear it's getting better, but I just wanted to say that with the first AF they say don't use tampons, as you can still lose a lot of clots etc.x