Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2010

Where does your baby sleep!?

Hello ladies (and babies!)

A few nights ago we made the decision to put Milly into her own room (she's 4 weeks old) to see if it helped her to sleep for longer (it did, the nights are much more bareable now), I find it much easier to breastfeed in there (with a nice chair, rather than trying to get comfy sat up in bed) and it means that DH doens't have to be awake all night as well so it seems to work for us and be a good move, but I just think she is so little to be in such a big cot, and I feel a bit mean.

So am I the only one, has anyone else put their LO into their own room yet?

Nx

Replies

• Our lo sleeps in a swinging crib in our room and in the day in a moses basket in the living room. Lots of people put their lo's in their own room quickly hun for a variety of reasons, my sister put her 2 boys in their own rooms at 7 weeks and 10 weeks because they were so noisy, she barely slept for jumping up at the slightest noise.

Do whatever works for you and your family hun.

xxx
  • Aiden sleeps in his moses basket in the day, and then the moses inside the crib at night as he's not too keen on the crib just yet (though I'm hoping to get him to sleep in that soon as there's not much room left in his moses!)

Do whatever works best for you hun image

xxx
  • we're the same as a few of you - Ethan sleeps in his crib at night and his moses basket in the living room in the day (when we actually manage to get him to sleep in the day anyway!) he will not go to sleep on his own though, every time we have to rock him to sleep or let him fall asleep on us then put him in his crib. is this really bad? i hadn't thought anything of it until recently when i've been reading a few things that suggest this isn't what you should be doing. but at the moment there is absolutely no way he'd go to sleep if we put him in his crib still awake - he just starts screaming!

xxx
  • Thanks girls - I keep reading about cot death and all that, which is freaking me out a bit, I think I will def breath a huge sigh of relief when she gets safely to 6 months!

xxx
  • in moses basket in our room from 11pm to morning and then in theory in moses basket in the nursery in day (hard to get him to do so)

having said that I am tempted to move him solely into nursery (in cot in moses bask) as the noises and whinging at night is making my nerves go on edge and I wonder if he would sleep better himislef. with son 1 I moved him at 6 weeks and honestly slept better myself. This all sounds very selfish but I don't want to get fraught like i did last time. I am a bit worried about cot death etc and all the advice to keep themin your room for 6mths.

hmm will give it a bit longer
  • Hi hun as long as you have got a good baby monitor it shouldnt matter too much where she sleeps, i have found that i have never slept too deeply since being a mom and i always wake at the first murmour from any of mine. Also if it seems to be helping her and you sleep better then its a good thing.

Olly sleeps in our room in his moses basket and probably will do until hes about 1 as we already have a ds and a dd who have their own rooms so until we are happy for him to share with ds he will stay with us xx
  • Like the other ladies have said it's up to you where baby sleeps hon.... It's whatever works for your family!

We currently have DS with us all the time still, for the moment at least. So she sleeps downstairs in the lounge on a mat which she loves and then at night in a moses basket next to our bed. We've just bought a crib for our room though as we thought that will last her until 6 months and the moses basket possibly not. Then at 6 months she'll go in her own room. I'm thinking of starting to try to put her down in her room during the day though as of next week, as she's an awful sleeper during the day and I need to try and get her in a routine. Not sure how that will go though.

Becky & Heidi 6 weeks xxxx
  • our 2 have slept in their own room from the day we got home bar a few days when they were poorly or had guests sleeping in the nursery.

we had them in our room once in the early days cos a midwife told us too but we couldn sleep with all the fidgeting and groans so the next mw said if it means we get a better sleep then put them in their own room.

They sleep in their moses baskets inside the cot at night. Same during the day if i can get then down but thats rare so they usually sleep on the feeding pillow on me!
  • hmm, it's a bit higgeldy piggeldy at the moment, she's always been fine sleeping in her basket (or on us!) during the day, at night we have a crib, but she won't even entertain it, up until this week she'd just been sleeping in bed with me (OH has been on the sofa since phoebe and i came home), although she wasn't going to sleep until atleast 4am! started a sort of rouitne now though, she has a bottle of ebm at 10.30 (tried other times-later, earlier- but touchwood this time seems to be working, i hope lol)and then after much cuddling, bum patting etc she goes in her moses absket, in the crib, in our bedroom...she'll then wake for a feed a few hours later, where i feed her and put her back in her basket, relatively easily (touch wood) and then another 2 hours she'll feed again and come into bed with me for an hour for a little doze...well thats whats happened the last couple of nights, so hope it's set to continue...my only issue is she point blank refuses to sleep on her back! which i would far prefer she did as i know guidelines suggest that sleeping on their backs helps to reduce the risk of sids, but she just won't, no matter what we try (wedging her either side with blankets, toweels so she thinks she's still being held, elevating the head end of the crib/basket, rocking the crib etc etc), so i've given in and started to let her sleep on her side recovery position stylee so she can't roll on to her front, but i really wish she would sleep on her back as it does worry me a bit...but seems the only time she's even willing to lay on her back is in the pram (even then she gets annoyed after a short while) or when she's having naked time :roll:

i think the thing with them being in their own room is that they're not disturbed enough (ie little noises help keep them from drifting to sleep to deeply) but apparantly putting a ticking clock, or the suck like in the room, or if she shares with her older sister, or using a dummy etc can help to keep them 'disturbed' enough. xx
  • Just an after thought, if you are worried I would definitly recommend getting the Tommee Tippee sensor monitor where an alarm goes off if baby stops breathing and this has given me loads of reassurance. I got mine on offer from Asda baby event which starts tomorrow.

xxx