Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My bs.

Now that I'm all settled:

I will apologise now for the length but I think the few days prior have some bearing on my labour:

I think I actually started with signs of labour last Tuesday (16th Nov) as I started with increased tightenings (practicaly all day) with period typr cramps across the bottom of my tummy, and they were a lot more uncomfortable than my usual BH, though not actually painful.

I went to our ADU on Wednesday because I was concerned about the tightenings etc and after examining me and putting me on the trace machine they said it wasn't slow labour and to just relax and take paracetamol.

I had my MW appointment on Thursday and she said baby was fully engaged, but obviously, as he was my second, he could pop out at any time and not engage again until labour and she said that I was classed as full term and should feel free to have baby whenever I wanted, as if I wasn't bloody trying anyway!

I'd been doing the currys, walking up stairs sideways and sweeping an scrubbing the floors on my hands and knees. Only thing I didn't do too much of was the sex as DH got put right off when I coughed and almost pee'd on him (it happened again the other week, while laid in bed i coughed during BD and wee came out again), so he has avoided it all cost.

On Saturday evening me and DH had a bit of sexy time, but without actually BD so unsure if that helped as well.

I woke up Sunday morning when DS1 came running through at 9:25am (it was my lay in day) and I laid for a few minutes before realising that I felt a bit damp down below. I didn't feel soaked, just like i'd got a bit sweaty so I got up to go to toilet and as I knelt on the bed I started losing clear fluid. I shouted for DH as it filled my Tena pad and was going on the bed as well (DH was not impressed in the slightest that I was wetting the Sealy mattress and DS1 was telling me how I was disgusting and should go wee on the toilet not the bed), so he passed me a towel until I dared to move. It didn't last long and there wasn't what I thought there would be (I imagined that there would be a massive gush and a river of fluid, but there was actually that much) so I went and sat on toilet, where I continued dripping the clear fluid and rang my mum to see if she thought it was my waters.

She told me to ring hospital, which I did and they said to go in and get checked, so we got thee about 11:00AM as we had to drop DS of MIL. Before we set off to hospital about 10:00AM I started losing bloody fluid, which shortly turned to pink. I was still getting the 'tightenings' and discomfort, both of which were increasing every time I had one.

When we got to the hospital they did the usual BP/Temp etc then checked if my waters had gone and put me on the monitor, which they said I would be on for 30 mins. I was only on it 10 mins and they took me off as they could see that the tightenings were increasing in frequency and severity, plus the urine sample I'd done when I came in had blood in it. By this point I was having to walk around to ease the pain and when ADU called the labour ward the said to go up and they would decide what to do. I went up and the did an internal examination and said my waters had definately gone and I was 3-4cm dilated, but as I was still losing pink fluid and not clear I had to have the monitor on, so was 'bed bound', which I did find quite hard as moving about eased the pain slightly. The contractions were increasingly more painful and frequent with each one I had. I requested Pethidine after about 30 mins, which I was given straigtht away, and also had G&A. I said I wanted an epidural asap, and was put on the board for one as soon as the anaesthetist had finished in theatre which they said was going to be about an hour or so. The pethidine didn't do much at all and only really lasted about 30 mins (with DS1 it lasted 2 hours and was brilliant). Suddenly baby's HB dropped so the MW turned me on my side and it quickly went back up again. She got a doctor in who checked the trace and asked them if they thought I was in established labour, which they advised him yes but only just as I was only 3-4cm (this was at 1:45pm). They had discussed whether or not to put me on a drip to speed things up a bit but decided to leave things for now and see how things progressed on their own. I was gutted as I really wanted them to speed it up and not be in labour for ages.

At some point (I'm unsure what time as I was in more pain than I've ever felt before due to the Pethidine waring off and G&A being useless) baby's HB dropped again from 140bpm down to 50bpm in a matter of seconds, the down to 30bpm, I was terrified! They turned me on my side again and asked me to stop using the G&A and get some proper oxygen as baby wasn't very happy. His HB went straight back up again and they asked me if I had any pressure type feelings in my back or feelings to push, which I didn't, it was all in my tummy. So they did an internal again and said I was fully dilated and needed to start pushing! I couldn't believe it, I'd rang my mum and she was on her way but wouldn't be there for a while yet as we thought we had ages, and I'd had no epidural. So with the next contraction I started pushing for what seemed like an eternity, though I think it was actually only about 30 mins if that. DH said the MW had inserted a finger to widen me up a bit more to help baby come out, which I didn't even notice due to the pain (I thought Freddy Krueger was trying to hack his way out).

Then at 3:24PM Daniel popped his little head out, and at 3:27PM the rest of him came out. He was delivered straight onto my tummy and DH cut the cord. I delivered the placenta a few minutes later without the injection, while I laid holding Daniel. My mum arrived about 10 minutes later. It was really nice cos within a few minutes of having him I was back to my normal self, no headache, no sickness, no having to stay in bed til the epidural wore off. They took Daniel and weighed him and then I dressed him and gave him a bottle, then I had some toast and a cuppa then went for a bath, with the assistance of my poor devastated mum while DH had a cuddle with Daniel. We were down on the ward by half 5 and ready for visiting at 6.

He slept through the night, except for feeds, but went straight back to sleep after eating. I only slept for about two hours as he was snoring and squealing in his sleep, which MW said was probably due to all the mucus he's swallowed.

We were allowed home yeaterday afternoon and he's still behaving. He's curently taking about 40 mls every 3 hours or so and is as stunning as his big brother. I didn't think it would be possible to be so in love with two people, but I love Daniel as much as I love Harrison, without loving Harrison any less, its amazing.

I'm not sure if having a better birthing experience with Daniel has helped me to feel better and helped the bonding process but I feel so much better and in control than I did when I had Harrison.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on and if you're still reading after all that, thank you.

Hope to be reading some more BA's very soon :\)

Sammi, Harrison and Daniel

xxxxx

I will try posting some pics as soon as I get them off the camera or you can add me to FB Sam Wood-Howard but send me a msg saying BE so I know who you are, and there are some piccies of him on there.