Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone else worried about telling their parents?

I'm going for a early scan next week and plan to tell my parents after that. I'm so worried about telling my mum and dad. I'm due to get married next year and I'm sure they will say 'what about the wedding.' I'm 33 and been with my h2b for 4 years. I'm sure they'll be delighted once the shock wears off. I've been going through what to tell them in my head. Any ideas?

Replies

• Options
    Hi Hun!

Why not make it fun!

Wrap up a picture of the scan in a lovely frame that says grandparents on or wrap up a little baby grow which says something along the lines of My grandparents will spoil me rotten ( one of the BIA girls could do this for you) or what about a save the date card from your little bean!

I think something along these lines will have them so excited!

Becky

Xxx
  • Options
    Awe don't let anyone else spoil this for you. No matter what! image

I know my mum will act positive regardless of her true initial feelings, and will be a crying emotional wreak when she holds the baby the first time. She is very happy to have grandchildren but she worries about me, thinks I take on too much, yadda yadda, ... she's a mum too I suppose. :roll:

My inlaws will act like they can not believe we are having no5 despite having had 6 themselves, and despite us telling them we'd like another. By the time baby is here they will act like it was all their doing, this incredible miracle they worked so hard to produce :roll: They will be completely proud grandparents, if not slightly overbearing. But we get on okay, so it all works out.

I take their reactions with a grain of salt. We have such a happy, and love filled household, and this baby will be smoothered in love, and care. So I figure that's all that matters to me.

xx
  • Options
    I was really nervous about telling my parents! We told them on good Friday with Easter eggs with grandad and nan iced on them! They were over the moon and both started crying! Telling the innlaws tonight the same way I'll let u know how it goes! Bit more nervous as no one thought we would have them this early into our marriage! Xxx
  • Options
    Hi, I conceived my 1st on my wedding night and my mum told me I was pregnant before I'd taken a test to find out. My sister has had two children and is now planning to marry next year. I guess what I'm trying to say is that in this day and age there is no right or wrong order for this to happen, you can marry first or have children first. If your parents are daft enough to try and convince you to move your wedding forward just mention costs of adjusting your dress to fit over your bump, cancelling old venues, booking new venues, etc.. they'll soon see things your way.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I dont know why I'm so nervous. If anything they'll probably try and get me to postpone the wedding to a later date. I know my mum will just say what she thinks without thinking before she says it which she has done in the past and really annoyed me. Fingers crossed it all goes well.
  • Options
    when r u going to tell them hun? have u thought how to tell them? xxxx
  • Options
    After my scan on Wednesday if everything goes well. I think I'll get them to sit down (lol) and then hand them the picture of the scan. I can see me crying just through sheer relief of telling them. Nervous about my scan too. I'll only be 7wks + 4days.
  • Options
    Mel good luck with the scan and telling the folks! Most parents get over any initial shock once they realise pregnant daughter=Grandchild!

Hope scan goes well.

Mooomin x
  • Options
    Aww GCing just to say good luck!!! The thought of doing is worse than getting it over with! I wasn't looking forward to telling my mum I was pregnant when Sophia was just 7 months old, eeeeeekkkk however both times I've told her I've sort of built it up beforehand without meaning to so she thought the news wasn't going to be good (she thought I was emigrating, both times!), when I actually told her I was pregnant I think she was just glad I was hanging around! Anyhooooosss I'm rambling but good luck!!! It will be fine!!! I promise!!! xxx
  • Options
    Quick update: I told them earlier today and after the initial shock they were happy. I burst into tears through sheer relief. My mum is just worried about how I'll cope with having a baby then getting married 6 month later. I assured her it will be fine (I hope!). Feel so much better now.
  • Options
    aww yay!!! Glad it went ok hun!!!!! xxx