Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

First midwife appointment query

Hi. Hoping some of you second/third time mummies can put my mind at ease. I saw my doctor 3 weeks ago tomorrow to let her know I was pregnant and she said I'd receive a letter with a midwife's appointment in 2 - 3 weeks. Anyhow, today I still hadn't received anything so just went to the doctors and they have booked me an appointment to see to midwife on 9 May, but it's only a 15 min appointment. I am a bit confused, because I thought the first appointment took an hour or so? Plus she only has appointments on Mondays so if I have to go back it won't be until the following week I guess. Just a bit concerned as by my calculations I'll be 9+5 when I see her for the first time but by the doctor's calculations I'll be 10+6. That's ok isn't it? Thanks xx

Replies

• Hi Huglibear, My booking in appointment is on the same day I will be almost 11 weeks. But we wont have long to wait after that for our 12 week scans. As for the 15 min appt I am confused by that too, I also heard there was alot of paperwork but when through all the bits in the maternity file that I could fill out and done that to save some time. Hope all goes well and you get booked in ok. image
  • Hmmmm, yeah that's weird, my MW comes to visit (am 36+ 2 now) and the first apt was the longest as bloods need to be taken and they go through the details of your book and breastfeeding (which I thought was a little ott at the time!). I had the apt. around 12 weeks, same as the first scan! I can go to my surgery on a Friday for a MW apt., but I HATE that mw so I see my doctor instead for some appointments and found a really nice one who visits me image.

Did ure doc give you the number for the midwifes office? You can always ring them generally they don't mind any questions, they get a lot!! x
  • Thanks for your replies. It was only the receptionist who booked me in, so she didn't give me the number. I guess I can always go back and see the midwife again if she wants a longer appointment or I can go up to the hospital as it's not that far. Or maybe no one else will book to see her and then it won't matter! She is only there for 2 hours each Monday apparently so she can't see many people in that time. Guess I'll find out the week after next. Exciting! x
  • My first appointment with the midwife was only about 15 min. She took my height, weight and blood preassure and gave me some booklets to read. That was at 6wks. My next appointment is an hour when I'll be 10wks +. Hope that helps.
  • 1st Midwife appts can vary in length depending on whether you've been pregnant before, whether you have your paperwork to fill in or whether they have it, whether they do your blood test or refer you to the nurse, etc... My 1st pregnancy MW had all my paperwork so took 30mins filling it all in, then asked if I had any questions and referred me to nurse for blood test and confirmed my 12wk scan appt. This time around I had my paperwork so MW just flicked through in 5mins to confirm I'd filled in everything needed, she then took my blood test and confirmed my 12wk scan appt and was done in 20mins.
  • Hey hugli,

My first apt was 15mins and like melf they tooks height weight etc then sent off the referal to the hospital i wanted to go to and im not waiting for my booking in apointment to come through, Last time i was staying at the hospital the comuntiy midwife is at and she booked my booking in apt there and then for the week after, so dont panic hun xx
  • I still need to inform my doctor and get a midwife sorted. But I remember the first meeting was at least an hour and the midwife came to my home. The midwife will have to fill in the green notes, and discuss your options on how you want to give birth.