Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

flu jabs?

The posters for flu jabs have already gone up at work and it's got me thinking. Will anyone else be getting a flu jab? I do see the benefits to not being ill over the winter, lol, but I always worry there is some hidden risk.

xx

Replies

• Discuss this with GP/MW as the flu vaccine involves being injected with a mild form of the virus for you to build up antibodies (these days may even include swine flu). I didn't get the jab but was given relenza to take as a precaution/prevention from getting full blown flu when I had my DD who was born 12/12/09. In short, if you have the jab, be prepared you may have the symptoms for a few days following.
  • i will probably have the jab, seeing as by the time its available will be past 12 weeks, last year i caught flu i think swine variety at work, bought it home my son caught it, and had a febrile convulsion i suppose the only difference is i wont be at work for much of this winter. hmmm decisions decisions
  • Totally G/C but I just wanted to say that I had the 3 in 1 flu jab last winter and have not even had a sniffle during pregnancy whereas normally I'd get a couple of colds over the winer so I definitely think the jab helped my immunity! I was fine afterwards - just had a sore arm for one day.

They won't announce until July who the at-risk groups are who'll be offered the flu jab this winter but pregnant women might well included again. Its a personal decision though xx
  • P.s the flu jab does not inject you with the live virus xx
  • I'll have it better the jab than flu!

Can't imagine anything worse than being ill with flu when heavily pregnant or when little one is still very new -a newborn, no sleep and flu! Also if the breastfeeding plan works out lo would get immunity too.

But each to their own. I'm sure the vaccine doesn't contain live virus either, I though it was a combination of several dead strains of influenzae.

Mooomin x