Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Scan approaching

Hi,

Its our first scan on Thursday morning (will be 12+4) and I go from being really excited to being terrified.

It will be great to see LO but keep on thinking of all the bad things we could find out. And the latest bizarre worry what if there are 2 in there! Which when thinking normally about it would be great we want more than 1 child so a BOGOF pregnancy would be different but awesome... other times worry that we wouldn't be able to cope mentally or financially. Am worrying that we'll get there and they won't find anything and that its all over for us... had 1 miscarriage and a chemical already so worried that it is too good to be true.

Anyway I'm trying to stop worrying, what will be will be -not much I can do about it now!

Which got me wondering what does happen at a scan how much do you need to drink beforehand, is it always an external scan or could they do an internal, what is the best thing to wear, how long does it take, did you have to wait for ages and generally what is it like....?

If anyone could share their experience with me I would really appreciate it.

Mooomin x

Replies

• Hiya,

I've had a few scans in the past so I can tell you a bit image

I've had 3 miscarriages, so I can understand that you'd be nervous. The odds though are stacked in your favour this time that all will be perfectly well image

Usually they say you have to have a ''full bladder'' (i.e. drink enough so you feel uncomfortably like going to the loo, but not bursting!). That said, at 12 + 4 the wee one will be much more easily visible on the scan even if you don't have a completely full bladder (I confess that last time, I needed to go ''a bit'', but not badly, as the hospital kept me waiting a bit the time before, and I wasn't willing to pee all over the waiting room floor the next time, so I didn't drink to bursting).

Wear something that you can pull down a bit easily, i.e. jeans (you can just pull them down a little) or a skirt. Just as long as they can get the wand over your stomach easily, then that's all you need to wear.

They generally do external scans, but some can possibly do internal on request. The scan takes anywhere from 10 - 30 mins.

I think they would be considerate of the fact that you've got a full bladder and get you in immediately when your appointment is due - other ladies would be able to give you their opinion on this. I think I only had to wait longer once, and in hindsight it probably seemed longer than it actually was, because I needed the loo so badly!

The scan itself is really interesting. It's amazing to see your little one on the screen, bopping and dancing and twitching away without any awareness that they're being watched!

Best of luck with your scan - I'm sure everything will be fine! Let us know how it goes image
  • Hi!

My scan is on wed and I'm so nervous! Just hope all is ok!

I loved my scan with my little girl, it amazes me to see a little person growing inside me!

I have a lot of padding (size 20 pre pregnancy) and at my last 12 week scan they could see everything perfectly with an external scan!

Good luck and let is know how it goes!

Becky

Xxx

Ps- take money with you to buy pics of the scan, they are amazing xxx
  • I'd check about the full bladder as I had my scan last week and they told me to empty my bladder before I went in as it's not necessary to have it full.. which I found a bit strange but saw bubs perfectly well anyway! The scan took about 40 minutes as they checked everything and I had two sonographers do it, don't know if that's the same in all health authorities, but in here they said that 2 always do it one after the other so they can be doubly sure that all is fine.
  • Hi hun,

I was the same as u i was so terrified i nearly passed out walking in, i had some bleeding and was so scared that there wouldn't be a heartbeat. However, i can safely say it was the best experience ever!!! You can see them moving and wriggling and it all seems so real!!

With regards to the water drinking I drank and 500ml bottle 40 mins before my scan and they seemed happy with that. I am lucky in my deaprtment they actually saw us early as we arrived 10 mins early!!

My scan only took about 10mins and that was nuchal scanning so enjoy every minute as it goes too quickly!!

Let us know how u get on!!!

xxx
  • good luck this morning, hope everything went well. x
  • Best wishes today!

xxx
  • Thanks ladies,

Scan was great little one was sitting upright not moving very much to begin with but didn't like being prodded so has a wiggle in protest! Very cute and a so happy it went well. Just the one little one doing well so far.

Got several photos too I'm doing a clinical trial so scan photos were free! Also going to have extra scans at something like 28 and 36 weeks.

Thank you again for your support.

Mooomin x