Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Arghhhhh... Things you're ''supposed'' to stay away from in pregnancy

Arghhhhhhhh

I'm only 15 weeks and I'm already being driven crazy by advice about things I'm supposed and not supposed to do in pregnancy!!!!

Is anyone else experiencing this?

For example, just today I found out that you're not supposed to use products (e.g. moisturiser) containing Vitamin A / Retinol. I ran out of my usual Lush face cream a few weeks back and, as I'm not near Lush again for another 4 weeks, I bought a face cream with the fewest ingredients possible from the pharmacy. It has retinol but as it was the only non-500 ingredient product available, I bought it. Then I read in a pregnancy book that you're not supposed to use retinol or Vitamin A products!!! Now I'm scared of causing damage to my child by using these products.

Then someone else today told me off after an uninvited critique of some baby stuff I bought, which included a crib bumper pad (''You're not supposed to use them! Your child could choke or suffocate!''). I didn't know that, but at least now I know. (The same person also told me to ignore my pregnancy hunger pangs because ''that weight you gain will be hard to loose''). :evil:

Over the last few weeks I've also been told to not exercise, to get exercise, to not drink tea, to drink tea in moderation, to not find out the gender of the baby before birth, to not do this, to not do that... arghhhhh!

Is there some kind of list out there of things a pregnant woman is ''supposed'' to know about things they are ''supposed'' or ''not supposed'' to do?

Sorry for the rambling post!

Replies

• Sweetie,

Take it all with a pinch of salt. It's not worth the paper it's written on.

Seriously, I have had four children in six years, and EVERY single pregnancy has had different often conflicting advice.

Use common sense but don't drive yourself crazy. With my first baby (only six years ago) they said no to lots of things that they have okayed in other pregnancies, and other things that were safe are now outlawed. But how can the advice be completely life threateningly true if it changes every 18 months???

My genuine advice is don't eat or drink anything you wouldn't feed your 18 month old, and be very cautious of food poisoning.

To me that makes sense. But just find the balance for your own sanity. I worried the cot bumpers were unsafe with my first, but the midwife was horrified to see our cot without, so dh went out and bought them straight away... now they are dangerous? Hard to say, trust yourself.
  • Oh I had wanted to say about the face cream. With dd1 they said to weigh your carrots or avoid them all together to risk brain damaging the baby. With dd2 the pregnancy multivitamins changed and all had vitA added, because they had bone problems in babies without. Then dd3 they decided we needed to be careful again....

Please please know that your baby is safe and well, and you are doing a fantastic job as mummy hotel. image

xxx
  • Carrots, no-one has told me carrots are bad for the baby!! I would imagine with most of this stuff you have to eat it (or smother it over your whole body) 24/7 for your entire pregnancy for it actually to harm the baby. I'm trying not to get too stressed over dos and don'ts and luckily haven't had anyone giving me "advice" yet but I'm sure it will come. I think we have to learn to smile, nod and ignore! xx
  • Im on baby number 3 and the advice has been different with all 3 of my pregnancies about what you should and should not do.

I have never been told not to use face creams tho. To be honest people can go through months before they even find out their pregnant and their ok. You just have to be careful about food poisoning so dont eat or drink anything unpasturised.
  • Thanks everyone image

My OH was about to shake me last night, as I then went and inspected my day face cream (same brand, got both in a 2-for-1 pack) and it says ''Moisture Rich Intensive Vitamin E Cream'' then smaller print: ''30,000 IU Vitamin E'' (which is something like a zillion times the daily recommended amount).

After a sleepless night (my own fault!) I've decided to ditch the moisturisers now and then take them in (with my list of questions about other stuff) to the midwife next week, and not to keep on worrying in the meantime.

I guess it's so easy to over-react when I feel so responsible for bringing a healthy child into the world through what I eat, drink and expose myself to. I love the term ''mummy hotel'' hedgieuk! :lol:
  • I'm not sure there is a RDA for face cream Vit E - it's not like you're eating it. I really wouldn't worry if I were you, but good idea to chat to the midwife if you are concerned. I'm pretty sure with all creams (face and body) they only actually affect the very upper layer of skin and don't sink down into your body (but feel free to correct me if the midwife says they are dangerous!). xx