Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby's heart beat

Okay so the old wives tale is train for a boy, and horse for a girl...

So how do you figure that out. Mine sounded like whoop - shhhh, whooop - shhhh. Kind of exactly like you would expect and opening and closing of a valve, rushing with fluid to sound like. Lol.

Has anyone else figured out how they determine the heart beat sound correlation?

xxx

Replies

• I havent heard mine yet, grrrr! Did u hear at yours at 16 week apt? If so i have to wait another 2 weeks image, im 16 weeks now but she only does appointments on weds and i couldnt make it until week after next. grrrr! (sorry for my rant!hehe!)

Ive never heard the old wives tale tbh, but id be really interested. Maybe we will have to start a thread with guesses from the heartbeat/first scan and compare when people start having the 20 week scans. oooooo, sooooo exciting xxx
  • I think mine sounded more like a horse gallopping but I still think were expecting a boy but OH is still adament we're having a girl.

Supose we'll (hopefully) find out in 11 days image

Also are their not other old wifes tales like if you crave sweet food it'll be a girl and more but not too sure what they are.

xx
  • We heard heart beat at screening bloods appointment, and we took our daughters so they could hear it too!

I thought it sounded like a heartbeat?! OH was with me! Grace thought it sounded like a train, so thats one for a boy, but Phoebe thought it sounded like a dog barking?!?! So who knows what that means!

Jo xx
  • I thought it was above 140bpm for a girl and below for a boy - didn't know about the train / horse thing. Mine was 136bpm which suggests boy but...I have seen 3 magpies on 2 separate occasions, which suggests girl. Old wives tales are so confusing!! xx
  • I hadn't heard that wives tale - but when I went for my appt this week midwife said "there it is, sounds like a train"....so a boy?? Would love it to be, but I think it's a girl.
  • Sorry to G/C

I'm not sure there is much to this I'm afraid... My son's heartbeat made both train- and horse-like sounds and the speed varied a fair bit too... And he gave me a real sweet tooth! image

Happy guessing though and best of luck with all your scans!

• ohh i thought it was the other way round. train for girl and horses for boy. i know they say a faster heartbeat is a girl. my dd's hb was always 140 and above and she turned out to be a girl and she def sounded like a train. not heard hb this time yet but i have a midwife app on monday so will heard it then, cant wait (18 weeks and not heard it yet
  • Lol, it is fun isn't it. I do believe it is all down to how active baby is at that moment, and what you've eaten. I recall falling down the stairs and being terrified I'd hurt ds. He wasn't moving and I had a can of dh's cola in the fridge, so I drank it hoping ds would move, when he didn't I called the hospital and they brought me in to be check. Poor wee guy's heart was just racing, probably from the cola I drank :roll: . I don't normally drink anything fizzy so it must have been a jolt to his wee system. Anyways, he was fine but they nearly kept me in over night for his high heart rate.

So I do appreciate it can only be a guess at best.

Has anyone done the ring test, or the drain cleaner test? :lol:

xxx
  • G/C from DIS but if your MW has noted the heartrate in your notes then generally (old wives tale, so don't base to much on it) the higher the heartrate (134 upwards) is more likely to be pink bump and the other side (133 downwards) is more likely to be blue bump. It proved true for me first time around but am still keeping a relatively open mind on this one (though with heartrates of around 140-160 am on a 65-35% pink feeling).
  • I thought it was 140 and lower = Boy, 141 and above = girl? My son was always around 135 - 140, this one is always 160 both sound like trains though. I'll see next month what i'm having xx