Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011

Medical certificates to fly

Has anyone had to get a letter/medical certificate to fly?

If so were you charged for it?

I travel with my work and asked the receptionist at the doctors. She called the doctor who said that you don't need one until you are 34 weeks or more but I've checked airline websites and they say you need one after 28 weeks.

I've now had to make an appointment to see my doctor but my work are trying to arrange meetings and I'm holding them back as I can't book anything until I find out.

I'm not sure if it depends where you live either i.e. charged for a letter/certificate but I live just outside Glasgow.

Thanks

Replies

• I thought it was 28 weeks as well. It never occurred to me that there might be a charge for getting a letter. I will be needing one too as we live abroad and I will return to the UK at 34 weeks to deliver here. Sorry, can't help with more info at this stage but interested to see other replies...
  • G/cing but I have done this recently. I'm in Edinburgh and until was flying a couple of times a month with easyjet. They need a letter from 28 weeks and it HAS to include the phrase 'fit to fly'. Even though it doesn't specify this wording on their website this is what they insist upon (and won't let you fly if it is not in the letter - even if what your doctor is implying is the exact same thing!).

I got mine from 2 different doctors at my surgery and one charged ??5 and one charged ??10 - it appears it's a discretionary thing at mine!

HTH! K x
  • G/C from DIS but having formerly worked within the trade it all depends upon which airline you travel with as to when they will ask for a medical certificate (some will ask as early as 26wks) which must include the specific wording 'FIT TO FLY' to allow you to board. Depending on your own surgery the cost will vary (normally between ??0-??15) though the average expected cost of a medical cert is ??10.