Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

GTT?

I have been told by the midwife that due to ds being 10lbs 13onz, I have to have the gtt test at 28 weeks. Is anyone else having this?

More confusingly, I saw her yesterday and she said as I haven't had a letter through to have the test it was now my responsability to arrange it as she has other things to worry about. LOL! I love the midwives in my area... have I mentioned image... So I called the hospital and tried to arrange an appointment to be told off by a lady who said women could not just decide to have tests done, that only midwives can arrange tests, ect...

So my question is, I didn't have diabetes in my pregnancy with ds, so do I really need to worry this pregnancy. I apprecaite every pregnancy is different, but if this midwife thinks she is busy... well I am doing a masters degree, working 3 jobs, and taking care of four children, I don't have time to fight with hospital staff and moody midwives. :roll:

Replies

• Options
    That is disgusting, it is the midwifes responsibilty to book ALL tests. I have had to have 2 GTT's (due to high BMI) The drink is vial, but thats about the only painful part, lol. I would have it done hun, as My friend had a perfectly healthy first pregnance, but did develope Gestational Diabetes in her second pregnancy.

HTH xx
  • Options
    I had mine booked by my midwife too and have another coming up due to high BMI. The drink is grim and LO went a bit mad jumping all over the place last time!

I think its worth doing as if it is an issue it will be monitored and controlled which is better for LO.

Mooomin x
  • Options
    I decided against it. I eat healthily, am a healthy weight, all my tests so far are normal, and I was told that even if I did develop GD, a healthy diet was the best way to manage it. I'm doing that anyway (OK, except for the occasional indulgence of an unexpected desire for Rolosimage

Also I didn't want to subject the baby to a mad hit of sugar from the GTT without being convinced of the benefits. After doing some research and asking questions when I saw my midwife, both my husband and I (as well as my midwife) agreed for me to skip it for this pregnancy.

That said, each to their own and every mother has to make small and big decisions based on their own instinct, research and advice.
  • Options
    that's terrible - Can you not complain about the midwife? As if you should just book tests randomly.

I was told at my booking in appt that i would have to have the GTT due to high BMI but it hasn't been mentioned since. I show no signs of GD, my urine is always clear and i haven't had any sudden surges in weight so I think i'm in pretty good shape I would only have the test if they booked it for me, if they don't then it's their error when files are reviewed and it looks like you haven't received the appropriate care.

That being said, maybe familiarise yourself with any signs and if you think you show any booka midwife appointment and say you are concerned.

xx
  • Options
    I'm having one done due to PCOS.. my midwife booked it for me! Unbelievable that yours can't be bothered to complete her job for each patient and sort out the tests!!!